Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yeah, Marvel changed her character to use to depower the mutants. So complaining about her as if she did it in real life comes off as odd. It's one thing to dislike a character for how they're portrayed, like Namor, but this is something else

Namor just comes off as combative for no reason.
    For no reason? In his first appearance in 1939 his home gets 'bombed' by air breathers blithely blowing up the ice pack. In his first Silver Age appearance, he returns home to find his home destroyed by an atomic bomb. For his entire existence air breathers have been literally crapping on him and his people, polluting his environment, killing off the sea life they live off, stealing their heritage, tech, magic, and even the Atlanteans themselves. In Atlantis, he's spent his whole life fighting off coup attempts from 'real' Atlanteans, dealing with prejudice over being bi-racial (including grandfather), having his loyalties questioned, while not being able to trust most people, who were after power.

I understand people not being interested in the ocean or fantasy setting. I understand people not liking the character because he can be jerk or is combative, but there IS actually 80 years of characterization and world building behind Namor's attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a huge Namor fan in recent times.

I actually preferred his depiction back in the day, he was hot tempered and aggressive but he had a nobility and almost always stood for what's right.

Modern writers seem to struggle with anti-heroes, they almost always seem to turn them into villains.
    Exactly. I agree. That Namor was more nuanced and better written. Despite being a prince, he was written as an outsider and an anti-establishment hero.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    For no reason? In his first appearance in 1939 his home gets 'bombed' by air breathers blithely blowing up the ice pack. In his first Silver Age appearance, he returns home to find his home destroyed by an atomic bomb. For his entire existence air breathers have been literally crapping on him and his people, polluting his environment, killing off the sea life they live off, stealing their heritage, tech, magic, and even the Atlanteans themselves. In Atlantis, he's spent his whole life fighting off coup attempts from 'real' Atlanteans, dealing with prejudice over being bi-racial (including grandfather), having his loyalties questioned, while not being able to trust most people, who were after power.

I understand people not being interested in the ocean or fantasy setting. I understand people not liking the character because he can be jerk or is combative, but there IS actually 80 years of characterization and world building behind Namor's attitude.

Exactly. I agree. That Namor was more nuanced and better written. Despite being a prince, he was written as an outsider and an anti-establishment hero.
    Yep. This. Namor was always cranky and jerkish and angry but a lot of time, you understood why and he wasn't that bad of a guy. OG!Namor was Magneto before Magneto only he spoke much more normal. Read his first appearance in Lee's X-men (#4) and Namor was way more heroic than Magneto and a defender of those close to him. I think Roger Stern wrote some of the best Namor's appearance in his avenger's run. Now writers just play up villainous self far more. I wonder who started it? Brubaker wrote a solid Namor. Aaron's Namor is not very good despite having a lot to work with.

I'm not interested in the Punisher section of the MU. Individual runs but I don't care for it constantly. I also like when they play up Moon Knight's stranger elements and dislike when they downplay it.

Ultimate Member

Historically he has reason not to trust the outside world. But from what I've seen of him, he just comes off as combative even where there isn't any reason.

also, when was he bi-racial?

Niffleheim

also, when was he bi-racial?
    I think he means the fictional race of Homo mermanus (humanoid with gills)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I think he means the fictional race of Homo mermanus (humanoid with gills)
    Oh, ok. Idk that counts as biracial

There's usually at least one thing from every corner I have enjoyed at some point, including this, but.... Cosmic generally doesn't do it for me. (I know some people consider Asgard stuff to be cosmic but I don't it's too focused on Earth and fantasy tropes for me to think of it that way) I am all for dealing with some pretty hard sci-fi concepts and stuff, hell, I like Star Trek and some sci-fi books, but in Marvel specifically.... not so much. I like stories that wear their heart on their sleeve and deal heavily with relatable human problems and emotions, lots of character development, relationship stuff, etc. but the cosmic stuff often feels kinda cold and unemotional for me, where it is more focused on the setting, the alien politics or whatever, that I just don't care much about. I only tend to like it when there are some really strong, fun, personalities involved among the characters, where the 'it's in space!' aspect almost becomes irrelevant, but a lot of cosmic characters are too distant and alien feeling for me to care much about.
    Last edited by Raye; 06-16-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Oh, ok. Idk that counts as biracial
    He is. He's half Homo sapiens superior (mutant human) and half homo mermanus. He gets his pink skin from his human side. His cousins Namora and Namorita are the same.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He is. He's half Homo sapiens superior (mutant human) and half homo mermanus. He gets his pink skin from his human side. His cousins Namora and Namorita are the same.
    I meant in the sense we normally use it. But I guess that's not important right now

I could never get interested in anything Avengers-related; the same goes for most things dealing with the FF/Thor/Shield/Iron Man/Captain Marvel (Danvers)/etc. The stakes never felt important in those books. They just seemed like your typical (read: boring) superhero affair. The same can be said about the Spider-Titles save for a few (Miles, Venom). Long end of it, I've always been invested in things regarding X-Men/Hulk/Ghost Rider/Punisher/Blade/Doctor Strange and the *occasional* Deadpool reading, and that's mostly in trades.
    Mutant and Proud
    Krakoa FOREVER!!!

Ultimate Universe
    Fantastic Four
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Thor

I'm disinterested in the former, and there are more interesting books that compete with the latter.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-17-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Incredible Member

I’m pretty much disinterested in anything and all things X-Men. Which is a shame as I like quite a few X-Men characters, but those that I like barely get the screen time they deserve. But over all, it’s the X-Men line for me, followed by FF4, and Hulk.

Mighty Member

For me it's the magical corner of the universe in both Marvel and DC. Unless it's 100% fantasy or fairy tale, I need rules for my magic. Setting up something magical in the present day and then not having any rules for how magic works but still taking it super seriously doesn't ring true to me. If I'm going to read something about magic being used in the present day, and it isn't a modern fable or fairy tale, then I need a magic system that's at least on par with the stuff Brandon Sanderson puts out. I at least need Nen from Hunter x Hunter. Otherwise, you're selling me this super realistic setting with the most Deus Ex factor in fiction. I can't feel any sort of thrill or suspense knowing that at any moment when your magic isn't magical enough you can suddenly realize that you have more magical magic that out magics the magic you were using for magic reasons. Oh, but this is forbidden magic! You should never use forbidden magic because you'll be slightly inconvenienced for a while as you figure out how to use magic to out magic the consequences of your magic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Marvel Cosmic and the Fantastic Four.
    Forgot to mention Inhumans.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 06-17-2021 at 09:11 PM.