Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,643

    Default Has Themyscira ever had a flag?

    Once Themyscira opens up to the world it seems logical that they would have a flag right? Has there ever been a design? I assume that the motherly Kangaroo must be the national animal.

  2. #2
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    I personally love the flag design of Kazakhstan, which also happens to be similar to the flag of the United Nations. It feels very Themysciran to me.

    kz.gif


    And of course, if we need a Kangaroo flag:

    tumblr_1e574565de8e3dc8987632db048d061d_59a2eaea_500.png
    Last edited by Alpha; 06-15-2021 at 04:02 AM.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Once Themyscira opens up to the world it seems logical that they would have a flag right? Has there ever been a design?
    Here you go...

    WW THEMYSCIRAN FLAG.jpg

    Notice how it matches Wonder Woman's armor. The United States doesn't have a monopoly on red, white and blue or stars, so it explains why her costume looks patriotic to Americans.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Here you go...

    WW THEMYSCIRAN FLAG.jpg

    Notice how it matches Wonder Woman's armor. The United States doesn't have a monopoly on red, white and blue or stars, so it explains why her costume looks patriotic to Americans.
    Pretty sure that's a fan art not the official flag of Themyscira. It was explicitly stated in the comics that her original costume was modelled on the American flag.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Pretty sure that's a fan art not the official flag of Themyscira. It was explicitly stated in the comics that her original costume was modelled on the American flag.
    Sure it's fan made.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 06-15-2021 at 01:50 PM. Reason: edited for sarcasm

  6. #6
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Not bad at all

  7. #7
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    26,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Pretty sure that's a fan art not the official flag of Themyscira. It was explicitly stated in the comics that her original costume was modelled on the American flag.
    Are you sure you're not thinking of Donna? Post-Crisis when her origin had to be retconned and divorced from a rebooted Wonder Woman (Donna ended up being active before Diana, thus invalidating her previous origin), Donna's original costume was explained to be derived from the flag. This was just before she ditched her second costume and the Wonder Girl name in favour of becoming Troia for the first time.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Are you sure you're not thinking of Donna? Post-Crisis when her origin had to be retconned and divorced from a rebooted Wonder Woman (Donna ended up being active before Diana, thus invalidating her previous origin), Donna's original costume was explained to be derived from the flag. This was just before she ditched her second costume and the Wonder Girl name in favour of becoming Troia for the first time.
    No I'm thinking of Diana.




  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    4,640

    Default

    From DC Cinematic Wiki…:


  10. #10
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    I think that's the flag of Athens

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    4,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I think that's the flag of Athens
    Is it?
    I know it used to be a hootie owl at one point.

  12. #12
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No I'm thinking of Diana.



    Those examples are both pre-Crisis. IIRC, in the Perez reboot, it was still said that Diana's costume is based on the US flag (and other symbols) found on the flight suit of Diana Trevor. In Gail Simone's run, however, she said that the stars represent the sky over Themiscyra, or something like that - anyway, no longer based on the flag. And there is even some time-travel story where Diana travels back to the time of the American Revolution, and the US flag is actually inspired by her costume...

    I'm not sure how the design of her costume is explained in Rebirth, but I think DC wants to get away from the flag origin to make Diana more 'global', and to get rid of the 'American superhero' critique (in real life, and in the comic).

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No I'm thinking of Diana.



    How you gone post pics from MY Wonder Woman folder, where's your originality?

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    How you gone post pics from MY Wonder Woman folder, where's your originality?
    They were the closest I could find. Seemed fair game.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They were the closest I could find. Seemed fair game.
    Well I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •