Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

On the one hand, I did like the world building. Seems like a good mix of fantasy and superhero. But on the other, the wordiness def got in the way of that gorgeous art a little too much.

Yikes, that Krypto scene... brutal.

Overall, while I didn't necessarily love it, I def liked it. And I'm def interested to see where the story goes. If this issue is any indication, if nothing else we can look forward to Kara kicking some serious ass.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Re member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    King did say DC has no idea what to do with Supergirl, right? Chances seem good that someone just said "lets more or less do Superman Rebirth with her since that rehabbed Superman when he was low."
    I think DC knows what they want to do with Supergirl, they just haven’t figured out how to make the angry, bitter version they want to publish something that sells. They’re hoping King’s cross between Rooster Cogburn and Red Sonja will be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    I think DC knows what they want to do with Supergirl, they just haven’t figured out how to make the angry, bitter version they want to publish something that sells. They’re hoping King’s cross between Rooster Cogburn and Red Sonja will be it.
    I think New 52 Kara sold pretty well, the Red Lantern version is an “iconic” story for her based on how many causals I’ve talked to in regards to her have mentioned it. King’s Kara so far isn’t very angry or bitter so much as possessing a deep sense of loss.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Red Lantern is iconic? Thats probably worse than people liking Injustice Superman.

Astonishing Member

It was never explained just how someone decided that this day was Kara's 21st birthday. When she arrived on earth, did she just decide that she seemed to be about 15 years old (at least by human standards, who knows how fast people age on Krypton), and this is perhaps the sixth anniversary of that date, so now she's 21? Anyway, what seems most significant (but was not mentioned) is that even though she considers this to be a really important milestone in her life, she is celebrating it with... Krypto. No one in Clark's family, no one among her circle of friends, no one from the Justice League, etc. I suspect there is a backstory here, or at least I hope so. She wants to celebrate by drinking (note that she could have been drinking legally for years just by flying to any of those countries where teens can do so, and somehow I suspect that she has in fact popped into pubs throughout the world and downed a pint or two, when it struck her fancy to do so), and so she goes to this middle-ages culture with a red sun so that this time her lowered metabolism will let her actually experience the effects of the alcohol.

It seems that being under a red sun does not cause her to lose her strength completely, though, because (even though she is drunk) she defeats the land's top professional assassin in a bar fight. This makes some sense, to me. Presumably Kryptonians function like solar batteries when living under a yellow sun, but obviously they are able to store the energy, since they don't become de-powered at night. Kara just arrived on this planet and started drinking a few hours ago (at happy hour? She said she didn't have much of the local money), so presumably she still has some yellow solar energy left, and this enables her on the next day to withstand being shot in the chest with several arrows and then to kill that same assassin and best another one, bleeding profusely all the while. Clearly, Tom King is trying to portray her as a person of true grit, and that is probably why he has her curse a lot while she is suffering from a hangover, so that we can see just a few hints of Rooster Cogburn within her. Now that her spaceship has been stolen and the other assassin has fled in it (will he too become super-powered once the spaceship arrives at its pre-set destination, if that planet has a yellow sun?), Kara and the Mattie Ross character will have to engage in an inter-stellar pursuit of that assassin without the benefit of the modes of transportation upon which Kara normally relies, so it will probably take them several issues to catch up with him.

Overall? This appears to be a story about Supergirl's growing up. It is not just the drinking and the swearing so much as that she has now killed one of the assassins, after having said that she does not kill people. With the theft of her spaceship, and her de-powering under a red sun, Kara will now no longer be able to overcome all obstacles simply by being Supergirl. She must now become a true hero, suffering the indignities and pain (physical and emotional) that heroes - and adults - must endure. The woman who comes back from this quest will not be the same person as the girl who was celebrating her birthday alone in the tavern. She will be ready to fulfill her destiny, and I look forward to learning what that will be.
    Last edited by seismic-2; 06-17-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Good point - have Kara or Clark ever been shown celebrating a birthday before?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Superman's birthday is taken to be Feb. 29, isn't it?

Re member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Action comics #270, Kara’s 16th birthday

4FA811C4-DFEB-44F2-AC78-3E0207F90A58.jpg
    Last edited by Iopy; 06-19-2021 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Better image

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think New 52 Kara sold pretty well, the Red Lantern version is an “iconic” story for her based on how many causals I’ve talked to in regards to her have mentioned it. King’s Kara so far isn’t very angry or bitter so much as possessing a deep sense of loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Red Lantern is iconic? Thats probably worse than people liking Injustice Superman.
    I remember a lot of people asking for Red Lantern Kara during the first season of her show, especially on the episode where they dealt with her anger issues.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think iconic in that if you asked people, "Name a Supergirl story" many might say, "Her time as a Red Lantern."
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.