1 6.25%

9 56.25%

2 12.50%

0 0%

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Rate Jim Carey as a Dramatic Actor

Jim Carey is mostly known for comedy roles and is perhaps among the top 5 or even top 3 most iconic comedy actors of his time. this is the reason I feel when he does drama like the Truman show, which he was great in, it is still overshadowed when people look at his body of work as an actor and they see him 90% of the time as mostly a comedy actor.

How would you rate Jim as a drama actor on a scale of 1 to 10? he has done some great work with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Truman show, a film that I am calling a 90s masterpiece.

I need contex. Who would be a 1 and who would be a 10?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I need contex. Who would be a 1 and who would be a 10?

1-3: Terrible

4: Below Average

5-7: Okay to Good

8-10: Great

Voted 7. Not enough performances in serious roles to put him higher. Man on the Moon, The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind are the standout roles but there's not much apart from that.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post

Compared to whom? Who is a terrible actor? Who is a great actor? Who is an average actor?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Voted 7. Not enough performances in serious roles to put him higher. Man on the Moon, The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind are the standout roles but there's not much apart from that.
    Going by Castle’s post w. 7 being okay to good, 7 sounds right.

As for non comedic roles, Jim was quite good in The Number 23.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

He was great in Man on the Moon.

BANNED

Acting is acting, whether comedic or dramatic.

I think Jim Carrey is a talented actor and he's been part of some great films, but he's maybe not done as well as he could have.

I'm going to say below average. None of his dramatic roles have really stood out to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

I think Jim Carrey is a talented actor and he's been part of some great films, but he's maybe not done as well as he could have.
    I agree.

Not that long I had a sort of Jim Carey film watch. I saw Liar, Liar, The Truman Show and the Cable Guy in one go and Jim at this point been a comedy actor is so signature in this sense that he has his own unique comedy style that only him can re-act in every movie.

That been said, I wished he had more movies like the Truman Show since he sure could have done better than he has. This for me is the reason he was snubbed for A best actor nomination for The Truman Show when everyone said he would have be nominated. The Academy likely still just saw him too much as a comedy actor to nominate him for a now one important great dramatic performance in his career that leaned mostly on comedy films.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

i agree with the 7s hes pretty decent across all of his acting roles although personally he came off pretty weird in that man in the moon documentary

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I agree.

Not that long I had a sort of Jim Carey film watch. I saw Liar, Liar, The Truman Show and the Cable Guy in one go and Jim at this point been a comedy actor is so signature in this sense that he has his own unique comedy style that only him can re-act in every movie.

That been said, I wished he had more movies like the Truman Show since he sure could have done better than he has. This for me is the reason he was snubbed for A best actor nomination for The Truman Show when everyone said he would have be nominated. The Academy likely still just saw him too much as a comedy actor to nominate him for a now one important great dramatic performance in his career that leaned mostly on comedy films.
    Eh ... the only snub was for best picture.

Nick Nolte, Roberto Benigni (who won), Tom Hanks, Ian McKellen, & Edward Norton (whom I wanted to win) ... all turned in better performances.

It really should've been nominated over Shakespeare In Love (which won, ugh) but we know now Shakespeare got in and won largely due to Weinstein politicking it, amongst other shady things.

American History X should've been in, too, over Life Is Beautiful but that is a debate for another day.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-15-2021 at 01:41 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I tend to agree with everyone else, he's a solid 7. He's good, but he shines brightest in verrrrrry specific characters (namely out-there chewing scenery goodness). It's a very niche section to be pigeon hole'd in. And personally I found "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" highlighted his limitations as a dramatic actor, at the finale. He just didn't have the gravitas to deliver that level of emotional destitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Compared to whom? Who is a terrible actor? Who is a great actor? Who is an average actor?
    Based on Castle's rating...
    Emma Watson

Lake Bell

Amanda Seyfried

Meryl Streep

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    HEAVILY disagree. They require very different skill sets. Very few actors become masters of both.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

I think he’s not good at dramas and comedies

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

Based on Castle's rating...
    Emma Watson
    Hah, very much disagree, but to each their own.

On a side, I suppose this warrants a thread about actors who basically play themselves in everything, good or bad.

HEAVILY disagree. They require very different skill sets. Very few actors become masters of both.
    Yeah. Acting schools have different disciplines and teachers for this very reason -- part of those skill sets include how you draw out the authentic humor or drama in a scene (especially if the scene is fundamentally the opposite -- that is, finding humanistic humor in a tragic scene, or finding a dramatic foil in a comic scene). It's good to have an actor who can do both, of course, and there are certainly skills from one that can improve the other. But exceptional actors are the ones who can do both equally well, and that's a rarity. Specializing in one or the other is not a limitation, either.

And dramatic improv is virtually an institution in comparison to its better-known sibling regular (or comedic) improv.