Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cheshire (professional assassin) Appreciation 2021

First appearance: New Teen Titans Annual #2 (1983):

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My first exposure to her was the YJ cartoon. Now I hear that voice in my head whenever I read her.
    Assassinate Putin!

Was Cheshire enhanced in this story? She is beating up Starfire and reacting to Kid Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Was Cheshire enhanced in this story? She is beating up Starfire and reacting to Kid Flash.
    I reread this story kinda recent, but i don't think so.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member

I’ll be blunt and say that I think Young Justice made a much better version of the character - the comic version Pre-New 52 long felt like she remained a “trashy Dragon Lady” cliché way past the point anyone would find acceptable.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’ll be blunt and say that I think Young Justice made a much better version of the character - the comic version Pre-New 52 long felt like she remained a “trashy Dragon Lady” cliché way past the point anyone would find acceptable.
    Yep. Out of all of DC's most prominent Asian ladies (Talia, Shiva, Shado) Cheshire is the biggest dragon lady of them all.

But I have a few nitpicks:

-Making her the daughter of Sportsmaster and Tigress feels sudden and abrupt. I don't mind her being younger and daughter of an established character but I wish it was someone that made sense. I'm not sure if this was their intention but it seemed like they were trying to elevate Sportsmaster and Tigress whereas in the comics Cheshire is the more prominent villain.

-Her design, which is based off of her look in her non speaking cameo in the Teen Titans cartoon is closer to Japanese. I'm not an expert on Vietnamese culture but that mask is clearly based off of the Japanese fox mask and there is no similar one in Vietnamese culture and her costume is much closer to a kimono than anything Vietnamese.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I don't think she was "enhanced", but she's definitely a trained, experienced assassin going up against two heroes who knew nothing about her, giving her one advantage.
    Also, she was one of several unknown assassins attacking the New Teen Titans at the same time in a trap the team wasn't prepared for, so more confusion to throw off the heroes.

(And for the record, these unknown assassins had been arranged for by . . . The Monitor. Yeah, that guy from CoIE.)