Page 7 of 70 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

So just so we’re all clear, someone’s going to have to go grovelling to the ‘Pretenders’ at some point when it all hits the fan (and probably Danger, Karina etc)

This was a great overall story that managed to combined great art with high science fiction concepts. It also demonstrated why Magneto is at the end of the day the greatest organizational leadership mind mutants have.

Duggan and Pepe outdid themselves this issue. I hope it portends good things for X-Men.

Earth Xilo
    Fire Vulcan
    Wind Storm
    Water Sobunar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It's nice to see enthusiam and hope for this developed.
    I admit i'm very jaded to this since i've been following these comics for almost two decades now so i've seen a lot of "interesting" concepts brought up or implied become wasted, forgotten, ignored or tossed aside for the old status quo again, that when i see familiar pattern i suspect familiar outcomes. Because while there are also stories of successfull introductions and creations, i don't see their patterns here. Just another rushed introduction of something which would need a ton more work to last.

Which isn't helped by my opinion that the foundation for the Arrakii is very shacky.
    First there is the fact that they got retconned into existence with next to no previous implication or hints. It's a whole nation of mutants, heavily tied to Apocalypse, suddently being mentioned out of nowhere and presented as a big freaking deal, but they were never mentioned before. No obscure lines from Claremont era storylines, no forgotten implication that such a group might exist. Just "poof" here they are, your new more alien, more agressive, more united, strong, better, Conan the Barbarian style mutants!

Second, from my understanding, the x-gene based mutants are a very "urban" concept, something which is heavily tied to the changing world of the cosmopolitical landscape many people of the industrial nation experience living in the smaller or larger cities of the modern day world.
    Sure the super heros of mutant origin can go on magical or space adventures like everyone else. But the mutants themself are heavily tied to their relationship with the rest of humanity and therefor will always be seen in relation to that.

If you remove a mutant and put them in a magical or space realm they become "normal" (the recent New Mutant storyline actualy reflects that) or downright boring, because they are then just one of many oddities. What makes them special and interesting as fictional ethnicity is the fact that they are tied to a reflection of the real world humanity.

But the Arrakii are by design not an "urban" group of mutants or even a reflection of anything from the real world. They are a fantastic group of pseudo-barbarians with super powers, who come from a bygone fictional depiction of the bronze age and spend the last thosuand years in a magical dimension fighting a demon horde. They are just "out of this world" with just a far away hint of being based on humanity rather than a complete alien species.
    How do they reflect anything that normaly makes the mutants so interesting for super hero stories?

After all there is a reason the Morlocks are still around, despite being constant "massacred", while The Neo, Gene Nation and co. faded into obscurity.

And third and this might sound a bit petty. Their introduction storyline was Ten of Swords which wasn't particular popular criticaly or (as far as i saw) sales wise.

But if i'm wrong on this feeling, if they turn out important interesting parts still alive and kicking years from now, i wouldn't mind having been wrong here.

Also i agree that there is some lost potential in not showing them more interacting with the modern world beforehand. Albeit i suspect most of their involvement would have just served to make the currently allied old villian mutant look better in comparision to these more (in at least one case quite literally) vile mutants from the Barbarian Island.

Though judging by the upcomming Wolverine issues, they do seem to still be used in that capacity.
    Arraki gonna be the red shirts. That is very obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Sorry but didn't like it. Arakkoans on earth was ripe with story potential but now they are on Mars. That seems to be a recurring thing with this era. Writers are introducing plot elements with huge potential but without exploring them they use them to get to new plot elements. It's continously building towards something without paying off anything. I hope they explore Arakko on Mars but I'm doubtful.
    As reminded by another poster earlier, this to me is great setup for war with Orchis' city on Mercury.

Battle of the Planets!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Mercury is already Planet Sentinel
    Mars is now Planet Arrakoa

Arrakoa is gonna be xenocided

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    Pretty sure it's not this.
    no this might freak strange out. they declared that this new planet was the capital of the sol galaxy which means everything that has life on it and all other planets are secondary to it. thats essentially saying the galaxy is ours and could be seen as putting every other species (human, inhuman, eternal, atlantean and everything else) as beneath them.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Also the reactions to the big news don't make a lot of sense unless Swords revealing some in other secret announcement. Idk why Strange particularly would be so concerned

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Mercury is already Planet Sentinel
    Mars is now Planet Arrakoa

Arrakoa is gonna be xenocided
    Yuup. Planet "Jobbing Out To Make the Big Bad Look Good"

Does anyone have a picture of the great ring list from X-Men I don't think Xilo is a member

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by carmoc1234 View Post
    no this might freak strange out. they declared that this new planet was the capital of the sol galaxy which means everything that has life on it and all other planets are secondary to it. thats essentially saying the galaxy is ours and could be seen as putting every other species (human, inhuman, eternal, atlantean and everything else) as beneath them.
    Strange’s job is making sure Shuma-Gorath doesn’t do the thing DC doesn’t allow to all of 616. This is nothing

TOBA running loose doesn’t register on his radar, this sure as hell shouldn’t

Oh Xilo must have been member 8, they still have a n omega level precog in Idyll
    Attached Images Attached Images

Astonishing Member

How is Idyll still on the ring if they were rendered blind to the future?

Is that another reason to get Aarako off Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    How is Idyll still on the ring if they were rendered blind to the future?

Is that another reason to get Aarako off Earth?
    He's blind like visual impairment. I don't recall it saying hes blind to the future.

Mighty Member

Does this mean that Mars is the planet for Arakko beings only or for all mutants?

Will all Krakoa mutants migrate to Mars as well?

I'm bit confused here.