Page 45 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Yeah i figured it was more tongue in cheek. Lol. Im just going from my own history. Im a black dude on america and have been kn the end of some hate for no reason but ive never hated anyone. So it felt like it was sayong the oppressed naturally lean in to fear and hate and thats untrue
    Heck even Charlottesville the family didnt want the guy to be put to death.
    I've got no experience as a person of color, so I cant and won't try to speak to that experience! All I can speak to is my own, and as an effeminate gay dude who was raised in a VERY conservative Baptist church, there are some people who, with just a few words out of their mouth, I admit it...I hate and/or fear them. But that is because of DIRECT experience with those specific sorts, and so I don't hate or fear ALL people of faith, or all cishet men...but I AM wary of them, due to past experience. If that makes sense?

And I know from talking to others from similar walks in life that I'm not alone in that. I think the 'hate and fear' cited by Devos, is more like a reasonable, if extreme, response to a situation...like ANTIFA is a reaction to growing fascism in government and police. Whereas the 'hate and fear' of humanity at large is based on ignorance, the way the KKK is a reaction to...black people existing and not being property anymore. Both are, at least in part, responses of 'hate and fear', but one is reasonable in who it hates and fears, at least on the face of it, while the other is just...awful, and seeking to demean those it oppresses by implying that the oppressed are 'no better' than the oppressor.

If that makes sense...?

Man...between HiXmen and Handmaid's Tale, discussions about the prejudices of the oppressed and the effects of trauma on its victims are finally being had in public in ways I hadn't seen before! I enjoy nuance in my art, especially when it makes heroes more realistic and flawed!
    Last edited by zinderel; 06-18-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    I've got no experience as a person of color, so I cant and won't try to speak to that experience! All I can speak to is my own, and as an effeminate gay dude who was raised in a VERY conservative Baptist church, there are some people who, with just a few words out of their mouth, I admit it...I hate and/or fear them. But that is because of DIRECT experience with those specific sorts, and so I don't hate or fear ALL people of faith, or all cishet men...but I AM wary of them, due to past experience. If that makes sense?

And I know from talking to others from similar walks jn life that I'm not alone in that. I think the 'hate and fear' cited by Devos, is more like a reasonable, if extreme, response to a situation. Whereas the 'hate and fear' of humanity at large is based on ignorance.

Man...between HiXmen and Handmaid's Tale, discussions about the prejudices of the oppressed and the effects of trauma on its victims are finally being had in public in ways I hadn't seen before! I enjoy nuance in my art, especially when it makes heroes more realistic and flawed!
    It definitely does make sense. For me the craziest thing about my community is we care so much we will hurt each other before we hurt anyone else. And i definitely understand what you are talking about and have seen examples of it. I remember i use to think i was broken before i saw more examples as an adult because i can not sustain anger i mean people talk about it and i've seen people walk the walk but i'm in my 30s now and when i say anger isn't an emotion i seem to be able to hold onto i've had people tell me it's weird so it may just be me that is that extreme. I've had guns pulled on me, i've had a cop come in my backyard and pull a gun and then ask me not to report it because it was private property and because he apologized i didn't. Like i burn hot and then it's gone so i proably look crazy. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

It definitely does make sense. For me the craziest thing about my community is we care so much we will hurt each other before we hurt anyone else. And i definitely understand what you are talking about and have seen examples of it. I remember i use to think i was broken before i saw more examples as an adult because i can not sustain anger i mean people talk about it and i've seen people walk the walk but i'm in my 30s now and when i say anger isn't an emotion i seem to be able to hold onto i've had people tell me it's weird so it may just be me that is that extreme. I've had guns pulled on me, i've had a cop come in my backyard and pull a gun and then ask me not to report it because it was private property and because he apologized i didn't. Like i burn hot and then it's gone so i proably look crazy. lol
    Lol. I TRY to 'turn the other cheek' and not hold anger. I really do. But man, its hard, sometimes...I wish I could be more zen about it all. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Lol. I TRY to 'turn the other cheek' and not hold anger. I really do. But man, its hard, sometimes...I wish I could be more zen about it all. Lol
    It's definitely not always easy. For some reason i always end up in a loop of where i went wrong even if instincts is saying "get it together they obviously tried to play you." lol. But if everyone was zen i wouldn't have people i need to calm down which mean i would have to find something else to do with 10% of my life. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Ultimate Member

I think the point the Orchis dude was trying to make by 'they hate and fear us' was that he felt like the shoe was on the other foot.

The mutants are finally making *proactive* strikes against them, pretty much for the first time, which means they are being treated as a serious existential threat, and not just something that would crop up from time to time, and the mutants would react to and then go back to ignoring once they'd dealt with the latest immediate threat.

Plus, back in the day, they had a few covert programs (like the Sentinel-building program, which rather quickly got disavowed when Trask got out of hand), but never really active and open government support or approval, and now suddenly there are multiple major countries openly backing these anti-mutant groups, which might make them feel like they are no longer a dirty little secret, but can fly their hate flag openly, like they've finally 'arrived' and no longer need to speak in code, or hide their bases, or have meetings in basements like Pierce's Reavers used to.

They've gone from speaking in whispers and hidden bases to having open discussions on the UN floor. That's a big deal for them.

And yeah, it parallels unpleasantly with the real world, where hate speech has come out of the closet and people are openly marching under all sorts of hate flags (including the Nazi flag).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    "Magneto and Xavier's ways" are the mutant empire. Their hubris will blowbup in their face and take the Quiet Council and impact the rest of mutantkind with it.

Marvel is the world outside your window, so there's never going to be a time when mutants actually become the majority/dominant species of Earth. Same as why theres no flying cars, why everyone isn't a cyborg, etc. X men doesn't sell enough to make it the center of the way Marvel does business. If it were in its own world where they were the only superhumans/the only Marvel franchise maybe, but so long as the X-Men have to live in the same universe as everybody else that status quo isn't changing.
    In fact the status quo hasn’t changed, they live on an Island instead than scattered between schools and bases, they have a government, but they are the dominant specie or anything; they are not the first to have space stations or expanding outside of Earth, I don’t know how one could rationally think that not being a threatened minority 24/7 means they are becoming the dominant species.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormultt Divine View Post
    ...If humans/orchis want war then thats fine. More is coming im sure no one is ready for.
    You don’t understand my point about Eternals. Go read it again. It wasn’t a comment on Eternals vs. X, but about why humanity isn’t upset with the Eternals.

As for Orchis and Nimrod, okay. Of course, we already know long-term the record in Nimrod vs. X is Nimrod, 9-0. Don’t be so sure X is so capable.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    In fact the status quo hasn’t changed, they live on an Island instead than scattered between schools and bases, they have a government, but they are the dominant specie or anything; they are not the first to have space stations or expanding outside of Earth, I don’t know how one could rationally think that not being a threatened minority 24/7 means they are becoming the dominant species.
    Their/Marvel’s own pronouncements basically

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I think the point the Orchis dude was trying to make by 'they hate and fear us' was that he felt like the shoe was on the other foot.

The mutants are finally making *proactive* strikes against them, pretty much for the first time, which means they are being treated as a serious existential threat, and not just something that would crop up from time to time, and the mutants would react to and then go back to ignoring once they'd dealt with the latest immediate threat.

Plus, back in the day, they had a few covert programs (like the Sentinel-building program, which rather quickly got disavowed when Trask got out of hand), but never really active and open government support or approval, and now suddenly there are multiple major countries openly backing these anti-mutant groups, which might make them feel like they are no longer a dirty little secret, but can fly their hate flag openly, like they've finally 'arrived' and no longer need to speak in code, or hide their bases, or have meetings in basements like Pierce's Reavers used to.

They've gone from speaking in whispers and hidden bases to having open discussions on the UN floor. That's a big deal for them.
    Agreed. Just before the Krakoa era there was a vaccine, legally passed into law, going around to end the X-gene. The hate became so overt that the mutants had to figure out how to become officially on the world stage. What they did on Mars shows that they will openly combat the hate and no longer go into hiding.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

...And yeah, it parallels unpleasantly with the real world, where hate speech has come out of the closet and people are openly marching under all sorts of hate flags (including the Nazi flag).
    As well as the fact that our "hated and feared" are no longer just standing by allowing the hate groups to abuse and kill them. They're showing up and showing out, confronting that hate face to face.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Don’t be so sure X is so capable.
    it's their franchise tho lol

Eternals have never declared themselves rulers of the solar system or even the world, and then backed it up with military might. The actions of Krakoa and Arrako are literally causes for war.
    Errr they fought a civil war over ruling over humanity

It definitely does make sense. For me the craziest thing about my community is we care so much we will hurt each other before we hurt anyone else.
    ??

anger isn't an emotion i seem to be able to hold onto i've had people tell me it's weird so it may just be me that is that extreme. I've had guns pulled on me, i've had a cop come in my backyard and pull a gun and then ask me not to report it because it was private property and because he apologized i didn't. Like i burn hot and then it's gone so i proably look crazy. lol
    bruh I'm in the same boat it's fvckin irksome and sometimes problematic to ALLLLways be the first one to apologize/make amends/offer olive branch

It's definitely not always easy. For some reason i always end up in a loop of where i went wrong even if instincts is saying "get it together they obviously tried to play you." lol. But if everyone was zen i wouldn't have people i need to calm down which mean i would have to find something else to do with 10% of my life. lol
    ugh bruh.... Me to lol smdh

And yeah, it parallels unpleasantly with the real world, where hate speech has come out of the closet and people are openly marching under all sorts of hate flags (including the Nazi flag).
    This all damn true
    I don’t know how one could rationally think that not being a threatened minority 24/7 means they are becoming the dominant species.
    If they are allowed a moment's respite from the yoke of oppression eating into the skin of their collective thriats, and able to take a good breathe of air their would be accusations of them breathing all the air.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Their/Marvel’s own pronouncements basically
    Er if moles began proclaiming themselves as the dominant species I don't think many people would worry
    GrindrStone(D)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Hide and Go Seek is for kids.
    It's long past overdue that Mutants start overtly pushing back, fully claiming their right to exist. And if it brings the "haters" out of secrecy and hiding then so much the better, to deal with them.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

As for Orchis and Nimrod, okay. Of course, we already know long-term the record in Nimrod vs. X is Nimrod, 9-0. Don’t be so sure X is so capable.
    Depends on whether Charles and Erik learned the lesson from Moira's past lives that trying to oppose AI will at best delay the inevitable, and in this timeline it even appears to accelerate it. They will need to forge their own alliances with friendly machine intelligences eventually, or risk getting left behind in a cosmic arms race where biological beings, even those possessing fantasical and godlike powers, can no longer compete.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Depends on whether Charles and Erik learned the lesson from Moira's past lives that trying to oppose AI will at best delay the inevitable, and in this timeline it even appears to accelerate it. They will need to forge their own alliances with friendly machine intelligences eventually, or risk getting left behind in a cosmic arms race where biological beings, even those possessing fantasical and godlike powers, can no longer compete.
    I mean the story is obviously heading in the direction where the X-Men defeat nimrod we just don't know HOW of it yet. We know brute force isn't going to work.

Let's also not forget that Storm basically gave birth to an AI that originated from. You guessed it the CotV! Hickman obviously has some type of plan boiling in the background for the Children. My money is on it being a collaborative effort between the mutants and the Children to take down Nimrod.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Again: literally declared themselves rulers of Earth. It hasn't been exactly a secret that the mutants all now agreed with Magneto that they're racially superior.