Page 53 of 70 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

That seems a bit at odds with the things they said, plus the immediate disavowal of the X-Men in the data page

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Or they are just proud to have the X-men again and know they are going to do a good job representing mutantkind and defending the world.
    Yup. Including the worldwide announcement of the new team at the Gala shows how proud they are.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Well said.
    This is one of my favorite pages of this entire era.

See if only this had come sooner in Hickmans run, and not at the end of a far too bloated event, I'd have better opinions on it as a whole.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

What disavowal? Those X-men main mission is to fight for everybody and Duggan said on his twitter this would lead to the "No longer hated and feared" so I believe they will do some good things for the relations between mutants and humans and X-men with the rest of the MU.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    What disavowal? Those X-men main mission is to fight for everybody and Duggan said on his twitter this would lead to the "No longer hated and feared" so I believe they will do some good things for the relations between mutants and humans and X-men with the rest of the MU.
    Didn't the Council say they didn't formally recognize the X-Men?

RCO021_1606323010.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Didn't the Council say they didn't formally recognize the X-Men?

RCO021_1606323010.jpg
    I believe that was written a week after the QC was formed. So basically Scott made his case and here we are.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm sorry to break this to the detractors and the terminally disappointed but...This run is far from over.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I believe that was written a week after the QC was formed. So basically Scott made his case and here we are.
    This is from the end of X of Swords

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I'm sorry to break this to the detractors and the terminally disappointed but...This run is far from over.
    Preach and praise!

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    This is from the end of X of Swords
    Yeh but you know Hickman doesn't do things chronologically. This is the page before the one you posted. The X-Men page is a continuation to this one.

Exactly, we are gonna get a hellfire gala every year and there are still something like 6 to 7 planets (depending if you are into pluto) in the queue for the mutant terraforming association, this is just the beginning.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Preach and praise!

Yeh but you know Hickman doesn't do things chronologically. This is the page before the one you posted. The X-Men page is a continuation to this one.

Given the weird sliding timeline that doesn't preclude it coming after X of Swords. It's apparently only been two weeks since X of Swords to the Hellfire Gala, in theory it could only be a week from Krakoas founding to the end of X of Swords
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 06-20-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    The only people I can think of who have canonically said mutants aren't the next evolutionary step for mankind are avowed bigots. The guy you cite is a post-human from a culture that finally succeeded in subverting nature's plans for mankind, rewrote evolution and did it all by artificially sacrificing the last vestiges of their souls in the process. Rasputin even said, 'Humanity lost their souls long ago', which was seen by some as evidence of 'reverse racism', but was proven true by the time of Life 6.

And in the end, all humanity subverting evolution did for themselves was...cause the death of literally all of humanity. 616 Humanity's uncontrollable, inescapeable hubris and racism led to its downfall and extinction at the hands of the Phalanx, which Humanity had come to believe would be their transcendence. Instead, as a race, they were pruned from existence, their uniquenesses catalogued, and - had that reality continued - Humanity would be a universal footnote in a galactic computer, and have no further impact.

Hooray for them, I guess...?

Anyway, I wouldn't say that Life 6 Zookeeper/Librarian guy was a reliable source for ANYTHING when it comes to human/mutant relations or evolutionary science other than the anti-mutant, pro-machine/human hybridization narrative he and post-humanity/Homo Novissima embraced and made into a child-mutilating death cult/religion...
    I think you’re missing a major part of my point.

Within the Marvel Universe and reality, evolution proceeds through natural selection.

My observation is that even within the fictional Marvel Universe, if a species does not become the dominant species or find some niche with some “special” traits as a new species, then that species is not a species at all, but instead some random mutation. Or it is an evolutionary dead end and that species goes extinct.

In the fictional world of the Marvel Universe, prominent homo superior members including even the formerly integrationist Xavier agreed they were mankind’s next evolution. That’s a hypothesis and their ideology.

BUT, if mutants do not replace homo sapiens or the fictional, self-evolved, self-engineered homo novissima, then the hypothesis that homo superior is the next step in human evolution is just plain wrong.

Homo superior have been shown in Moira’s first nine lives to be an evolutionary dead end, a species that goes nowhere, a random mutation, a blip on the radar of the human family.

This is NOT because some blue guy said so. It’s just natural selection. If the mutants don’t take homo sapiens place as the dominant human species or find an environmental niche in which to thrive, then they are just plainly NOT the next step in human evolution. That’s natural selection.

You seem to have a hang up about the “biological” and “natural” aspect of homo superiors vs. homo novissima. Yet, within HoX, PoX, and all that has followed in the X titles, mutants are shown to be engineering their own species through The Five and cloning. More odd, cloning, mutant reproductive methods in the future are mentioned in the comics and some text pieces of HoX and PoX. There’s nothing “natural” about five people creating clones or “breeding pits,” anymore than exposing humans to what appears to be the Transmode virus or something similar. In neither case is it human sexual reproduction.

The thing is, though, natural selection does not care. Tool use by species to adapt has enabled numerous species to thrive, including plain, old homo sapiens in real life. Natural selection isn’t some referee blowing a whistle and yelling out, “Flag on the play! We’ve got chimps using reeds to dig out termites! Penalty, 10 millennia to let the baboons keep up!” That’s not natural selection. Natural selection does not care if tools are used to propagate a species.

As for the death of humanity with the Phalanx and all of that, becoming one with a larger universe has long been a recurring theme in sci-fi, other literature, and even real-life religions. Some parallels could be drawn to the Eternals’ Uni-Mind state. I suggest checking out Arthur C. Clarke’s Childhood’s End, which deals with the moral ambiguities of such a destination for humanity. I don’t see humanity joining the Phalanx in 1,000 years as some moral evil.

In HoX and PoX at the 1,000 year mark of Moira VI, I don’t see too much fodder for getting high-minded and moral. There’s very little implied to be good or bad, ethically. Human society as mutants or homo novissima are nearly unrecognizable as the real-life outside our window. I think it’s nearly impossible to say who is right or wrong in that society. The malevolent Nimrod the Lesser, who is hysterical in his evil ego, is gone, Sentinel rule apparently being a thing of the past. Nimrod the Greater is obviously subservient to the homo novissima. Mutants are in a zoo and will be moved into space, because whatever is there of humanity is not interested in bringing the mutants along to join the machine godhead. They don’t want mutants stopping their ascent, either. Where are today’s notions of good or evil in Moira VI’s future? I don’t see one, because it’s so alien. Go ahead and join the Phalanx at that point. Why not?

On the other hand, as depicted in today’s X titles, there is plenty to get morally outraged over within the fiction of the X titles, and it’s all due to the bad acts of Xavier and Magneto, and their gangster-run government.
    Last edited by Brian B; 06-20-2021 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I think you’re missing a major part of my point.

*Snipped for length*
    That's an interesting theory...if they can't actually succeed in replacing humanity in the other timelines, that could be interpreted as mutants not actually being the next step in evolution.

Lol some ppl are craving for this era to be done so things can go back to the old rehashed mess it was but Marvel alreadt explained this is the next step. The new stories that are coming? Its that for me!

The lack of creativity and lazy writing is no longer welcome lol. Long live hickmans era, give him a few decades actually.

God I hope it's not decades. Hickman is good but it's so much damn exposition. It's pages of characters dumping exposition occasionally interrupted by data pages with even more exposition