Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    ? Did they

10char
    What issue? Because in that issue they rejected a union. Doug explained that they don't even speak the same language anymore (literally or figuratively?).

Is it just me or would this new Hickman era be so so much stronger if the mutants would act as a collective in absolute solidarity?! It feels so hierarchical with Magneto masterminding everything and becoming a new intergalactic ruler.

Do we really need individual heteropatriarchal rulers if you have telepaths who can join all minds (and hearts) together?

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

This was wonderful.

Great storytelling, and phenomenal art. Duggan's script very much reminded me of Hickman's work, and that has me all the more excited for his X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Is it just me or would this new Hickman era be so so much stronger if the mutants would act as a collective in absolute solidarity?! It feels so hierarchical with Magneto masterminding everything and becoming a new intergalactic ruler.

Do we really need individual heteropatriarchal rulers if you have telepaths who can join all minds (and hearts) together?
    Hold up he declared himself the intergalactic ruler? How's that gonna work when we already got the King of Space, Mags needs to pick a brand I know he old but at least be original fam.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I liked that too it showed your powers don't need to be ridiculously OP to be an omega level makes ya think.
    Well we all know Soft Serve is an Omega

I do think it'll just be too tempting not to use Arakko as Planet Cannon Fodder at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    That was already solved in X-Men. After so many years apart, Krakoa and Arakko were no longer compatible with each other because they had changed too much and did not want to be together.

It happens even in the best couples.
    Yup. They're over it.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Trying to replace NYC?

Yeah, their all going to die

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I liked that too it showed your powers don't need to be ridiculously OP to be an omega level makes ya think.
    I mean, they are OP but not in an "easy" way.

Being able to know where anything is? Imagine any country that had that power. It would be impossible to hide from them.

Being able to create unlimited oceans? That adorable axolotl could flood the entire Earth if he wanted to with enough time.

But they are powers, I don't know how to explain it, more interesting that for example Vulcan which is like "Yeah, I absorb energy and I can shoot energy".

I mean what the did was great and the issue was great and it was well written. I like there was no actual reality warping and think people aren't giving enough credit for the fact that this wasn't a simple terraforming. These mutants brought this planet literally back to life. The Arrako mutant with water created a whole ocean ecosystem with wildlife and the potential for whatever the new mars life forms will look like when they walk out of the ocean. The other arrako mutant went into the lands of mars and was able to bring back it's own resources, not just placing life forms from earth but reviving the compositions in it's own earth while the entire time storm was coaelacing everything and making it one as "on mars she had control of it's entire climate." I was more than satisfied and read this probably 3 times since 6am this morning. New Mutants was the better written book though and X-Corp. Man, that book just feels aggressive.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    What a gorgeous book. My breath was taken away by Pepe Larraz. I must post these.

The Arraki omegas are outstanding and Erik is a genius. Incredible feats for most of the Krakoan omegas and a pregnant Jamie was the cherry on top.
    I loved the letters from Delores and NASA at the end.

I can't wait to visit Planet Arrako.

Agreed completely. I was blown away. Can't wait to see how the rest of the Marvel U reacts.
    So many beauty-full and beauty-fully illustrated moments. I'm in love with the Arakki Omegas. So much to savour...my thoughts and feelings are all over the place.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

So why would this freak Dr Strange out?

Sorry but didn't like it. Arakkoans on earth was ripe with story potential but now they are on Mars. That seems to be a recurring thing with this era. Writers are introducing plot elements with huge potential but without exploring them they use them to get to new plot elements. It's continously building towards something without paying off anything. I hope they explore Arakko on Mars but I'm doubtful.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    So why would this freak Dr Strange out?
    Pretty sure it's not this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Yup. They're over it.

That's sad, they could have sent a Krakoa clone instead

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I’m very interested to see how Planet Arrakko is used in the future. If they get ignored tell they need to be blown up then it’ll have all been a waste. However, if they start being active parts of the cosmic story that Ewing is writing or even end up playing a role in the coming conflict with the Phalanx I think it’ll be worth it.

Still, I wish we had seen more of them on Earth. You bring up a great point that a lot of Arrakki’s aren’t “pretty” mutants. The Krakoan’s decision to send them off before things got too volatile (on both ends) makes sense, but I feel like we missed out on some story potential.
    It's nice to see enthusiam and hope for this developed.
    I admit i'm very jaded to this since i've been following these comics for almost two decades now so i've seen a lot of "interesting" concepts brought up or implied become wasted, forgotten, ignored or tossed aside for the old status quo again, that when i see familiar pattern i suspect familiar outcomes. Because while there are also stories of successfull introductions and creations, i don't see their patterns here. Just another rushed introduction of something which would need a ton more work to last.

Which isn't helped by my opinion that the foundation for the Arrakii is very shacky.
    First there is the fact that they got retconned into existence with next to no previous implication or hints. It's a whole nation of mutants, heavily tied to Apocalypse, suddently being mentioned out of nowhere and presented as a big freaking deal, but they were never mentioned before. No obscure lines from Claremont era storylines, no forgotten implication that such a group might exist. Just "poof" here they are, your new more alien, more agressive, more united, strong, better, Conan the Barbarian style mutants!

Second, from my understanding, the x-gene based mutants are a very "urban" concept, something which is heavily tied to the changing world of the cosmopolitical landscape many people of the industrial nation experience living in the smaller or larger cities of the modern day world.
    Sure the super heros of mutant origin can go on magical or space adventures like everyone else. But the mutants themself are heavily tied to their relationship with the rest of humanity and therefor will always be seen in relation to that.

If you remove a mutant and put them in a magical or space realm they become "normal" (the recent New Mutant storyline actualy reflects that) or downright boring, because they are then just one of many oddities. What makes them special and interesting as fictional ethnicity is the fact that they are tied to a reflection of the real world humanity.

But the Arrakii are by design not an "urban" group of mutants or even a reflection of anything from the real world. They are a fantastic group of pseudo-barbarians with super powers, who come from a bygone fictional depiction of the bronze age and spend the last thosuand years in a magical dimension fighting a demon horde. They are just "out of this world" with just a far away hint of being based on humanity rather than a complete alien species.
    How do they reflect anything that normaly makes the mutants so interesting for super hero stories?

After all there is a reason the Morlocks are still around, despite being constant "massacred", while The Neo, Gene Nation and co. faded into obscurity.

And third and this might sound a bit petty. Their introduction storyline was Ten of Swords which wasn't particular popular criticaly or (as far as i saw) sales wise.

But if i'm wrong on this feeling, if they turn out important interesting parts still alive and kicking years from now, i wouldn't mind having been wrong here.

Also i agree that there is some lost potential in not showing them more interacting with the modern world beforehand. Albeit i suspect most of their involvement would have just served to make the currently allied old villian mutant look better in comparision to these more (in at least one case quite literally) vile mutants from the Barbarian Island.

Though judging by the upcomming Wolverine issues, they do seem to still be used in that capacity.
    Last edited by Grunty; 06-16-2021 at 07:29 AM.