Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I don't think so. It was a telepathic vote where the candidates made their pitches to everyone at the same time. And the exact results and who voted for who were not revealed. It makes no sense for Sam to run for any reason under those circumstances. All he'd get is the embarrassment of all of mutantdom knowing he wasn't serious. I'm pretty sure at this point the fan-vote characters were not all in the running in-universe.
    You are making an inference about something that just is not there. We were told that he was running and until someone comes out and says none of that was non canon, that is what we are supposed to believe. You dont have to but its canon right now that he did

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Anyone find it funny how the OG New Mutants kinda faked? You’d expect all their votes to go to Berto or Sam, but they really all did their own thing.
    Talking about it. I skipped the group chat thing somewhat that i missed who Magik voted for.

Where did that choice come from?
    Like okay they worked together once before in a one-shot, though without any interaction to speak of and she is currently on Magik's monster squad (which only exists in a single issue of a 3 part mini-series so far), but so are 5 others including two actual X-men students who have been with the organization for a few years now, so why this one?

I assume it's just a throw away choice, so that some of the fan vote candidates actualy have some degree or backing in universe.

However it also feels a bit like we missed out on some story where Magik actualy got enough respect for the other character to chose her over her brother, various veteran X-men, her fellow New Mutants, the older New X-men candidates or various reformed powerfull mutant villians.

Then again unmentioned previous interactions, off-pannel team bonding and only alluded to developments seems to become common in the Krakoa era.

It also makes me wonder why a team of monsterous mutants who were seemingly formed to hunt actual monsters and demons only exist in a oneshot, while we get a whole book about business talk and corperate culture with a thin super hero paintjob?

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    And Children of the Atom which is, uh, um...also there. Vague, possibly offensive trans allegories?
    Well if you want a less potentialy offending meaning for what COTA is meant to be about.

Fan culture.

How the current day super hero fandom would look in a world with actual super hero, specifically centered here on the mutants as whole ethnicity of super powered individuals.

How the changing status quo of mutants in the marvel universe affects normal humans of the current internet centric generation of people in the industrial nations (albeit making them look like a caricatures in the process) and how they form a sort of pro-mutant counter-culture mindset because of that. Which in part drives them to extreme acts.
    Last edited by Grunty; 06-17-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Talking about it. I skipped the group chat thing somewhat that i missed who Magik voted for.

Like okay they worked together once before in a one-shot, though without any interaction to speak of and she is currently on Magik's monster squad (which only exists in a single issue of a 3 part mini-series so far), but so are 5 others including two actual X-men students who have been with the organization for a few years now, so why this one?

I assume it's just a throw away choice, so that some of the fan vote candidates actualy have some degree or backing in universe.

However it also feels a bit like we missed out on some story where Magik actualy got enough respect for the other character to chose her over her brother, various veteran X-men, her fellow New Mutants, the older New X-men candidates or various reformed powerfull mutant villians.

Then again unmentioned previous interactions, off-pannel team bonding and only alluded to developments seems to become common in the Krakoa era.

It also makes me wonder why a team of monsterous mutants who were seemingly formed to hunt actual monsters and demons only exist in a oneshot, while we get a whole book about business talk and corperate culture with a thin super hero paintjob?
    I think she was trolling. Im not sure she even voted for Marrow. She knew what Bobby was looking for and it would be a dig to him for her to vote for someone inconsequential

Extraordinary Member

We don't know who exactly ran, but it definitely wasn't everyone. Colossus, Logan, and many others you are thinking of didn't run.

There should be a Dark Riders book, and Curse of the Man-Thing was a stealth-launch for it on Orlando's part. Unfortunately I don't think it sold enough to justify having its own book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think she was trolling. Im not sure she even voted for Marrow. She knew what Bobby was looking for and it would be a dig to him for her to vote for someone inconsequential
    Would work as explanation. Though it feels like an oddly specific choice. Especialy since besides her, only Sam ever met and should know her.

Extraordinary Member

Would work as explanation. Though it feels like an oddly specific choice. Especialy since besides her, only Sam ever met and should know her.
    Marrow was just on Magik’s Dark Riders team in that Curse of the Man-Thing one shot last month.
    Along with Forearm, Shark Girl, Mammomax, and Wolf Cub.

I’m more curious why Karma voted for Monet.

Extraordinary Member

This was not a normal election. Name recognition was not as big a deal as it is in a paper ballot election. The mutants saw inside the minds of each of the candidates and picked whose real motivation appealed to them the most. All that mattered was the pitch. If Marrow had a good reason in her head, that's all anyone would need to vote for her.

Extraordinary Member

So………..when is Karma going to end up with Dani or Illyana?
    Last edited by Will Evans; 06-17-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Marrow's been around for years, so I find it doubtful that only Sam would know her. Even if that were the case, that would support my theory more bc it would be even more of a burn to choose someone that no one even heard of

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Illyana was trolling Bobby. So were the others to a greater or lessor degree,especially Xi'an.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Pretty much never. They really aren't into each other in that fashion outside of some rather lame fanfics. Or a particularly crappy movie which pretty much amounts to the same thing.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 06-17-2021 at 12:18 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    We don't know who exactly ran, but it definitely wasn't everyone. Colossus, Logan, and many others you are thinking of didn't run.

There should be a Dark Riders book, and Curse of the Man-Thing was a stealth-launch for it on Orlando's part. Unfortunately I don't think it sold enough to justify having its own book.
    Why would it? It really wasn't all that good even for a limited series. Something are just meant to be one-shots. This was one of them.

Incredible Member

Vita Ayala continues to impress on New Mutants. Like Hellions, this issue used the Hellfire Gala as a backdrop for continued development of its characters.

This issue really highlighted the difference with the writing on Excalibur. In contrast to Excalibur, the character development doesn't come across as one-note. Compare how Rictor's obsession with Apocalypse is handled compared to how Rahne's obsession with Tier is written just to see how much better the writing on New Mutants is. The core New Mutants come across as family/friends (the Group Chat is amusing) through their actions/dialogue as opposed to having characters tell each other they are friends.

The ending of the issue is really a bummer, but has certainly been foreshadowed over the previous issues. I am excited to see where this goes.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Next issue, bro. Trust me, bro, my friend lives on Krakoa and saw them enter the Frost's 101 pleasures shop together, bro.

Incredible Member

Wherever did you get this idea from? If She and Sam knows her, then pretty much all the New Mutants should be aware of her.