Default The Black Canary: Bird of Prey collected edition (tpb)

Has anybody picked this up since it was released back in March?

The Black Canary: Bird of Prey
    By: Various
    Illustrated by: Various

This bird won’t be caged!

Rediscover the origin of DC’s original crime-fighting bird of prey in this collection of classic Golden and Silver Age tales!

Introduced in 1947 as a supporting character in the Johnny Thunder backup stories in Flash Comics, Black Canary became an instant hit with readers. After stealing Johnny Thunder’s thunder (so to speak), she earned her own starring feature that established her identity as Dinah Drake, a meek florist by day who dished out vigilante justice by night under the guise of the Black Canary.

Black Canary often found herself tangled in the cases of Larry Lance, a down-on-his-luck private eye who operated his detective agency out of Dinah’s flower shop. Whenever Larry found himself in way over his head, it was up to Black Canary’s fighting skills and knack for crime solving to save the day, which broke convention from the typical damsel-in-distress
    archetype of the era.

The Black Canary: Bird of Prey collects all of Dinah Drake’s early comic book appearances from Flash Comics plus other adventures written and illustrated by comic book legends such as Robert Kanigher, Gardner Fox Carmine Infantino, and Murphy Anderson. This edition features stories from Flash Comics #86-88, 90-104; Comic Cavalcade #25; DC Special #3; Adventure Comics #399, 418-419; and The Brave and the Bold #61-62.

Paperback | $29.99 (US)
    Published by DC Comics
    Mar 09, 2021 | 224 Pages | 6-5/8 x 10-3/16 | ISBN 9781779509086
    https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...ey-by-various/

It looks like it covers the same material that had been in THE BLACK CANARY ARCHIVES VOL. 1, the hardcover that was released back in 2003 (with original cover price of $49.95 US) nearly twenty years ago.

NOTE: Should not be confused with the Birds of Prey: Black Canary tpb collection released back in 2020. That book collected the Black Canary series published from 2015-2016.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I thought about it, but $30 for a 224 page book seemed kind of steep considering I'd read this material once for posterity and then relegate it to the old storage unit.

Although knowing DC, it's probably already out of print and I could flip it on eBay for 3x cover price...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I thought about it, but $30 for a 224 page book seemed kind of steep considering I'd read this material once for posterity and then relegate it to the old storage unit.

Although knowing DC, it's probably already out of print and I could flip it on eBay for 3x cover price...
    Well, $30 would buy you about seven-and-a-half $3.99 comic books.

I know I've bought more than seven-and-a-half single issues I could care less about (unfortunately), and I expect I'll get more enjoyment out of this.

Ok fine, I'll buy a copy if you do. Deal?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Ok fine, I'll buy a copy if you do. Deal?
    = pssst! = I already ordered my copy from barnesandnoble.com yesterday; it's suppose to arrive here about Monday.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I picked it up, though I've already ready most those stories. I'm not allowing myself to reread it until I'm caught up on my monthlies.

Something I would like to add to my nightstand.

It would be neat if they released old bronze age Green Arrow backstories featuring Black Canary from the World's Finest, and I believe in Batman as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    . . . It would be neat if they released old bronze age Green Arrow backstories featuring Black Canary from the World's Finest, and I believe in Batman as well?
    They were in Detective Comics, not Batman itself.

And such a collection would probably benefit from including stories from Green Lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    = pssst! = I already ordered my copy from barnesandnoble.com yesterday; it's suppose to arrive here about Monday.
    Sweet! I'll add it to my next instocktrades.com order.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

And by the way, turns out I got delivery of it in today's mail.

They were in Detective Comics, not Batman itself.

And such a collection would probably benefit from including stories from Green Lantern.
    It would indeed. There must be such a wealth of backstories from the Bronze Age from a wide range of secondary heroes (Adam Strange ect)

I hope that DC decides to compile them and release them one day.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Hard to beat their prices even if their shipping is significantly slower than pre-pandemic and DC making them a distributor.
    And by the way, turns out I got delivery of it in today's mail.
    Happy reading, Major.

Astonishing Member

I have the archive -- some of BC's best appearances. She really worked fine as a solo character, and I think she was diminished a great deal being partner/sidekick to Green Arrow. I like their relationship -- but she should have continued having solo adventures. I hate that she got pulled out of Justice League just so she could be butchered in Longbow Hunters.