View Poll Results: Which Is The Better Movie?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Wrestler

8 88.89%
  • The Fighter

1 11.11%
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Question The Wrestler vs. The Fighter: Which Is The Better Movie?

In terms of filmmaking, acting, storytelling, and personal enjoyment.

Aronofsky by a hair for filmmaking, the locals and cinematography plus the ground level look of it all. I'm biased as far as the acting goes, I'll side with Adams nearly 100% of the time but even then Bale is a monster in this, he is hilarious as a sting. No lead in either is anything less than believable but Bale is relentless. Whalburg, with his dopey fkn face to go along with his dopey disposition, surprisingly adds to the mix in The Fighter. A far cry from the rest of his career action guy roles where he's a blight, a drain to my senses. He was good in this though.

Story I'd go back to Randy the Ram but I enjoyed and have seen The Fighter more times than The Wrestler. The Wrestler is just a bummer of a movie in the last act. I used to be a huge Wrestling honk but after 2 dozen of the guys you like die under shitty circumstances it just kind of pulled me out of it all together. I personally don't need a well made movie to reinforce those feelings in a round a bout way.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

The Wrestler is a pretty darn depressing movie.

But it’s a better movie than The Fighter IMHO.

The Wrestler by a county mile.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

It's difficult. There is more artistry in "the Wrestler" but also more things that were wrong. "the Fighter" is more cohesive, better acting but... less vision. I have no intention of ever watching either again, so it's a tie. They're both rather a chore to watch. #sorry
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

The father daughter relationship and the struggling with one's health elevate Wrestler above Fighter. I liked Fighter enough but its just a mediocre boxing flick while Wrestler hits hard when it hits

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

The Wrestler... too many nipple rings.

Christian Bale is the best thing about the fighter the rest of the movie really isn't anything special.

Raging Bull
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The Wrestler

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Raging Bull
    Warrior (2011)

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

THE WRESTLER! Though the cast was stellar in The Fighter, I have to say that The Wrestler had me hooked from start to finish. I recommended the film to a Wrestling enthusiast I knew.

ETA: I want to add that The Cinderella Man is also a pretty good film but not as great as these.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 06-20-2021 at 07:38 AM.