Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Default Venom #200 : Spoilers, Review, and Discussion

I strongly recommend reading this issue before going to the spoilers below:

SPOILERS

Eddie is fulfilling his duty as the new King in Black. Leading Symbiotes throughout the universe. Stopping invasions, repairing damage that Knull did, fixing rifts in space, rescuing lost aliens, and meeting with Thor in Asgard.

However, being Omnipresent takes its toll on a mortal. Eddie appears older and tired. His own symbiote assures him he doesn't have to do this alone. Eddie also notes his symbiote is the only one he can't see through/track/command. Dylan is now a teenager and we get a hilarious interaction with Sleeper

The Symbiote turns into a dog and leaves for School with Dylan. Dylan learns the Symbiote's True Name.

Great conversation with Brock and Spider-Man at a diner. Somebody tries to rob the diner (As expected it ended poorly for him) and we see symbiote bats.

Eddie informs the Avengers and other key figures in the Marvel Universe of the Maker. Eddie can even see past other dimensions but the Maker is the only person he can't find. The Maker is trying to earn a spot with the council of Reed Richards and to do it, Eddie thinks the Maker has to invade the 616 Universe so he can restore the Ultimate Universe. Captain America invites Eddie to join the Avengers, but Eddie politely declines. With so much happening right now, he doesn't have the time but he has somebody in mind. Cut to...

Flash Thompson. Trying to fit back into society. A gruesome scene at a trendy coffee shop. (I forgot the name of those armored guys, dressed like the Jury). They are hunting symbiotes. Thompson fights them.

Dylan is having trouble with school life. Consonantly getting in fights. He's unhappy because he feels handicapped without his powers. After school, he encounters Jack O Lantern attempting to rob a woman. Dylan tries to stop him but gets accidentally shot. The Venom Symbiote saves him and Dylan becomes the new Venom...with chains. You can imagine what happened to Jack as a result

Venom returns home. Eddie comforts Dylan and tells Dylan that he'll be there for him. Story ends with the New Venom swinging away to stop a crime

Overall: I loved it. I liked how something major like becoming the King in Black wasn't a one issue deal for Eddie. It may have lacked action (but thats ok, take a breather from King in Black) however the interactions and story telling kept my eyes pasted on each panel. The Maker is an excellent idea for the next major event. Stegman's Artwork was stellar and I loved the fun touches (Symbiote Bats and nod to McFarlane's Chains). And finally the twist at the end of the issue. Overall, I'm good with this change. It feels organic.

Cates's Venom is up there with Geoff John's Green Lantern.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 06-16-2021 at 12:36 PM.

Mighty Member

I've not read it yet, but I just want to know, does it have a letter's page?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Flash Thompson. Trying to fit back into society. A gruesome scene at a trendy coffee shop. (I forgot the name of those armored guys, dressed like the Jury). They are hunting symbiotes. Thompson fights them.
    Guardsmen.

I am the complete opposite on this than you....completely hated it. I could get behind Eddie going from bad guy to mostly good guy...but this whole symbiote god thing is just beyond stupid for me.

The only good thing about this issue for me is that Flash is back...but still stuck in Marvel's symbiote nonsense.

Incredible Member

I agree with the idea of Venom finally being a good guy and not a villain or anti hero. But lord this issue… why is Eddie aging? That’s so lame to be honest. Let me guess; when he loses his god powers will they de age him? Ugh! And Dylan as Venom? Sigh. I just can’t.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    I agree with the idea of Venom finally being a good guy and not a villain or anti hero. But lord this issue… why is Eddie aging? That’s so lame to be honest. Let me guess; when he loses his god powers will they de age him? Ugh! And Dylan as Venom? Sigh. I just can’t.
    Marvel aging and de aging characters, that is frightening. Why? I would not put it past them to actually de age Peter back to HS when and if they finally get rid of OMD

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Marvel aging and de aging characters, that is frightening. Why? I would not put it past them to actually de age Peter back to HS when and if they finally get rid of OMD
    I would be sending them an expletive-laden email if that ever happened.

Good job Dylan looks like an adult when suited up as Venom, because otherwise he'd fall foul of Kamala's Law, which is still in force. I wonder if he'll meet Miles soon? If there's Ultimate Universe shenanigans going on, then Miles ought to be involved as he's originally from there.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I've not read it yet, but I just want to know, does it have a letter's page?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Guardsmen.

I am the complete opposite on this than you....completely hated it. I could get behind Eddie going from bad guy to mostly good guy...but this whole symbiote god thing is just beyond stupid for me.

The only good thing about this issue for me is that Flash is back...but still stuck in Marvel's symbiote nonsense.
    Thanks.

You can only do the villain/revenge thing so long. I was good with the brutal hero but what I hated was how sad and difficult Eddie's Life was all the time. Homeless and broke most of the time, no family, no real direction with everything looking so bleak.

This is the first time we see Eddie genuinely happy. I'll take it. As for the God of the Symbiotes, I'm alright with it. The story didn't happen out of nowhere. It took a long time to build this moment.

We all know this isn't going to be permanent. When Venom 2 launches in theaters Eddie will definitely be back in the suit

Mighty Member

Aging and de-aging makes sense in fiction that lasts this long. But you need to be careful with how you use it and how often you do it.

De-aging Peter from a 30 year old to a 20 year old would prolong the series even more, but it would also be a pointless endeavour as there's not a huge amount of difference between 30 and 20 in comic terms.

Aging him to 70 would be a weird plot point and I don't think it would work. It worked with Cap, but not so much with Peter.
    De-aging him to 16 would also be incredibly pointless and confusing as Miles effectively fills that role. Not only that but Marvel learned they can't really do much with a 16 year old Spider-man, which is why Miles is 18 (or he could be 17 now).
    In fact a lot of the younger heroes fill that market gap for Spider-man.

One more day won't be retconned out of continuity, and in many ways, I don't want it to. It's a stain of a story, but getting rid of it causes too much of a mess for Spider-man continuity. I've said before that Marvel don't regret the act of One More Day, but they probably regret the execution. Addressing it is better that pretending it doesn't exist.
    I've said that a talented writer can take crap and turn it into gold, and Spencer, while I have my issues with his run, is a very talented writer. I'd rather have something come from that story which is good instead of just nothing.

So unless Marvel do a complete reboot, I doubt they would de-age Peter to a 16-20 year old. They already have Miles for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Yes
    We all know this isn't going to be permanent. When Venom 2 launches in theaters Eddie will definitely be back in the suit
    Don't be so sure. When Captain America: Civil War was released, Sam Wilson was Cap in the comics. And Venom isn't even an MCU film, so if they're not going to insist on synergy for MCU films, they won't for that.

I'm sure Eddie will be the main Venom again eventually, but I'm not sure it'll be done before that movie is released.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 06-16-2021 at 02:38 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Guardsmen.

I agree.Didn't like it at all.
    Will give a detailed review but not feeling like typing rn.

Nice issue. I like the new status upgrade for Eddie and for Dylan. One thing I like about this run was the Peter and Eddie relationship and it's good to see it continue here. As for th Maker plan to restore the Ultimate Universe I don't see how invading the 616 universe brings it back but I guess that for another event in the future. Flash stuff seems interesting as well. Overall this is a great run Cates took Venom as a character to new heights he isn't just the evil spiderman anymore he is something way better. now I can't wait to see what he will do with Hulk.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Nice issue. I like the new status upgrade for Eddie and for Dylan. One thing I like about this run was the Peter and Eddie relationship and it's good to see it continue here. As for th Maker plan to restore the Ultimate Universe I don't see how invading the 616 universe brings it back but I guess that for another event in the future. Flash stuff seems interesting as well. Overall this is a great run Cates took Venom as a character to new heights he isn't just the evil spiderman anymore he is something way better. now I can't wait to see what he will do with Hulk.
    I think the Maker just wants to raid 616/"Prime" for its various resources so he can use them to restore the Ultimate Universe on behalf of the Council of Reeds. Beyond that, given where Flash is, I'm guessing that's setup for Extreme Carnage where the heroic symbiotes won't just have to fight Carnage trying to corrupt them all, but also humans who are (understandably) fearful of all symbiotes after King in Black. As for what has happened and is happening with Eddie, Dylan, and Venom, I'm just curious and maybe a bit excited to see where Al Ewing takes them next, and like you, I rather enjoyed Peter and Eddie burying the hatchet for good (along with Eddie finally admitting to Peter that Knull's invasion wasn't all his fault, since the symbiotes were on Earth a thousand years before Peter brought the Venom symbiote back from Battleworld). With that being said, while this may not quite have been the ending to Donny Cates's run that I would have imagined or envisioned, I still see there being interesting possibilities and ideas for Ewing to develop and explore further in his run. All in all, Knull (God)-speed to everyone involved in this run.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 06-16-2021 at 03:58 PM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

So not seeing a whole lot of the usual suspects being mad dylan is using the venom name. We can't have legacy characters! Make them new characters! Wonder why.

Thumbs up

It takes the character too far away from his roots for my liking. I also find Dylan annoying and have for a long time. All things considered, I think I'll drop Venom from my pull list.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."