Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Default Venom #200 : Spoilers, Review, and Discussion

I strongly recommend reading this issue before going to the spoilers below:

SPOILERS

Eddie is fulfilling his duty as the new King in Black. Leading Symbiotes throughout the universe. Stopping invasions, repairing damage that Knull did, fixing rifts in space, rescuing lost aliens, and meeting with Thor in Asgard.

However, being Omnipresent takes its toll on a mortal. Eddie appears older and tired. His own symbiote assures him he doesn't have to do this alone. Eddie also notes his symbiote is the only one he can't see through/track/command. Dylan is now a teenager and we get a hilarious interaction with Sleeper

The Symbiote turns into a dog and leaves for School with Dylan. Dylan learns the Symbiote's True Name.

Great conversation with Brock and Spider-Man at a diner. Somebody tries to rob the diner (As expected it ended poorly for him) and we see symbiote bats.

Eddie informs the Avengers and other key figures in the Marvel Universe of the Maker. Eddie can even see past other dimensions but the Maker is the only person he can't find. The Maker is trying to earn a spot with the council of Reed Richards and to do it, Eddie thinks the Maker has to invade the 616 Universe so he can restore the Ultimate Universe. Captain America invites Eddie to join the Avengers, but Eddie politely declines. With so much happening right now, he doesn't have the time but he has somebody in mind. Cut to...

Flash Thompson. Trying to fit back into society. A gruesome scene at a trendy coffee shop. (I forgot the name of those armored guys, dressed like the Jury). They are hunting symbiotes. Thompson fights them.

Dylan is having trouble with school life. Consonantly getting in fights. He's unhappy because he feels handicapped without his powers. After school, he encounters Jack O Lantern attempting to rob a woman. Dylan tries to stop him but gets accidentally shot. The Venom Symbiote saves him and Dylan becomes the new Venom...with chains. You can imagine what happened to Jack as a result

Venom returns home. Eddie comforts Dylan and tells Dylan that he'll be there for him. Story ends with the New Venom swinging away to stop a crime

Overall: I loved it. I liked how something major like becoming the King in Black wasn't a one issue deal for Eddie. It may have lacked action (but thats ok, take a breather from King in Black) however the interactions and story telling kept my eyes pasted on each panel. The Maker is an excellent idea for the next major event. Stegman's Artwork was stellar and I loved the fun touches (Symbiote Bats and nod to McFarlane's Chains). And finally the twist at the end of the issue. Overall, I'm good with this change. It feels organic.

Cates's Venom is up there with Geoff John's Green Lantern.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 06-16-2021 at 12:36 PM.