Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It does seem a bit OOC.

My main complaint, however, is I prefer street-level Venom the anti-hero. I lost interest in Flash during the whole "Space Knight" era for example. But hey, if others enjoy this direction more power to them it isn't for me. IMO, Venom as a concept is at its best when he/it is a gritty street-level anti-hero in a story peppered with shades of body horror, not when dealing with other space stuff or being a ruler of an alien race. This seems like a good jumping off point for me because the new status quo that is hinted at does not, frankly, interest me much.
    I think it might have worked better if Eddie was still an underdog and a ruler of the symbiotes but no idea what to do. This issue he takes to it really well and it’s all peaceful etc.
    I like it street-level, and actually think Cates did a great job of balancing it with the cosmic up until the Captain Universe stuff. Like I said, I was all for Venom eventually becoming the king, but maybe leaning it a point where he’s still got LOADS to figure out about the symbiotes etc. I feel like he knew the ins and outs straight away.

Not sure if I like it or not. I guess I just have to keep on reading for now.

Also, is Ultimate Universe dead or not? Im confused.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    Not sure if I like it or not. I guess I just have to keep on reading for now.

Also, is Ultimate Universe dead or not? Im confused.
    Ultimate Universe was dead as of Secret Wars by Jonathan Hickman/Ultimate End by Brian Bendis, but roughly 2 years later, we got Spider-Men II, which near the end had a few pages that revealed it had been restored somehow (Franklin Richards and Molecule Man, most likely), with Ultimate Peter Parker as the Spider-Man of that reality, leading the Ultimates (which included Ultimate Jessica Drew as Spider-Woman again), and still romantically together with Ultimate Mary Jane Watson. Then it was further addressed with the Maker's role in Cates's Venom run, revealing that he was trying to restore his "broken" universe with the help of the Council of Reeds, who had conditioned his membership in their ranks on his success in that endeavor. As of Venom 200, Eddie believes that the Maker will make a play to accomplish that by raiding and pillaging the 616/"Prime" universe.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I made the comment about the Outlawed storyline...looking at comics as entertainment there are some fun kid-hero stories. But in the real world would you give a 15 year old a Glock and a badge and send him out to arrest people....no way in hell would that be acceptable.

As for Venom as street level...totally agree. I even go further to say that they have made the symbiotes way too powerful for my taste.
    I agree they've become way OP for my tastes as well.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I think it might have worked better if Eddie was still an underdog and a ruler of the symbiotes but no idea what to do. This issue he takes to it really well and it’s all peaceful etc.
    I like it street-level, and actually think Cates did a great job of balancing it with the cosmic up until the Captain Universe stuff. Like I said, I was all for Venom eventually becoming the king, but maybe leaning it a point where he’s still got LOADS to figure out about the symbiotes etc. I feel like he knew the ins and outs straight away.
    I couldn't agree with you more about things shifting dramatically in tone, and not for the better IMO, once the Captain Universe stuff occurred.

I loved Cates run overall (Dylan who can be annoying at times due to his Gary Stu traits, a la Damian Wayne, notwithstanding) but I'm pretty sure I won't enjoy the new direction that is being heavily implied. I think I'll take a break for a while. If I'm wrong, I can always pick up the trade(s).
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-17-2021 at 07:17 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

it will be clearer why cosmic venom is the better place for the character when a good cosmic writer gives it a go in the fall
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I don’t disagree. Like I said before, I have 0 issues with Venom going cosmic. In terms of Cates, it was the quick acceptance of it with Captain Universe & this issue where Eddie does it so well and so easily. Ewing is a very capable writer, though, so I have all faith it’ll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    The Maker could easily pull Dylan into his Ultimate Universe to be it's Venom, which would adversely effect Eddie's God-like powers and reduce him back to his previous levels, IF a creator wanted to go that route, if you really want to reset it to the basic premise of the character have it done in a way that Eddie can blame Peter and viola back to status quo yes you lose all the character "growth" but whose to say the next writer wants to continue down this path?
    I would literally drop not only Venom, but all of Marvel period if they went that route. I'd imagine that a lot of people would also drop Venom if they did that.

Extraordinary Member

One of the things I find annoying happened in this comic....again. Spidey without money and "I don't have pockets."

Come on...dude has a utility belt for additional web cartridges and such....why not a compartment to carry a little cash in??

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Spide...s_Utility_Belt

Last edited by Chris0013; 06-18-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    So... Eddie - portrayed as trying to be a good father and legit loving his son during this run - is willing to let his CHILD get into constant harm's way as the new Venom. His underage minor son.
    What I miss?
    95% of the time I agree with situations like this but I can see why this was needed. Before this issue, Eddie was extremely protective of his boy. However, now is a good time for Dylan because he has so many safe guards in place.

- Dylan is frustrated and 'handicapped' with so many sudden changes. He feels useless. This gives him new purpose
    - He's also mature enough not to fight anybody/anything
    - He now has Uncle Peter and Flash as Allies/Teachers
    - Eddie knows his Symbiote will protect/teach him
    - Most importantly Eddie is now a God with eyes, ears, and followers everywhere. Its practically a parent's dream to let their Teen think they have independence but at the same time be watched over.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    I agree with the idea of Venom finally being a good guy and not a villain or anti hero. But lord this issue… why is Eddie aging? That’s so lame to be honest. Let me guess; when he loses his god powers will they de age him? Ugh! And Dylan as Venom? Sigh. I just can’t.
    I agree with the lameness. Also, exactly how much time passes here? Why is Eddie older and Dylan a teen? Are we just to accept five or so years passed (in-continuity, where everyone else is still sticking to the regular passage of time in their lives/books)?

I get wanting to tell a great story with a popular character, but I'm confused as to why he didn't just put the toys back in the toybox for the next writer to play with. Or is the next creative team obligated to go with this?
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    I agree with the lameness. Also, exactly how much time passes here? Why is Eddie older and Dylan a teen? Are we just to accept five or so years passed (in-continuity, where everyone else is still sticking to the regular passage of time in their lives/books)?

I get wanting to tell a great story with a popular character, but I'm confused as to why he didn't just put the toys back in the toybox for the next writer to play with. Or is the next creative team obligated to go with this?
    Eddie looks older because the use of his new symbiote god powers is wearing down his body.

Overall, this was a good story, but it did feel a bit...quiet, for such a milestone issue. I am curious to see the future. I think that Dylan is going to be the street-level Venom while Eddie is going to continue to use his powers to try to improve the galaxy.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post

Dylan aged to a teen cause they spent a year in that alternative timeline where his mom existed prior to returning back to 616 for king in black
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    One of the things I find annoying happened in this comic....again. Spidey without money and "I don't have pockets."

Come on...dude has a utility belt for additional web cartridges and such....why not a compartment to carry a little cash in??
    Peter can be an awkward combination of genius and idiot. Its likely never occurred to him to put something so simple and mundane as cash in there, since he's busy filling it up with gizmos and gimmicks.

However, even if it DID occur to him, he still might choose not to -- he'd probably be afraid that if he made space in there to carry cash it would be taking away space for another web-fluid cartridge, which would lead to him running out of web fluid at a crucial moment and someone dying and it being his responsibility....

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Peter can be an awkward combination of genius and idiot. Its likely never occurred to him to put something so simple and mundane as cash in there, since he's busy filling it up with gizmos and gimmicks.

However, even if it DID occur to him, he still might choose not to -- he'd probably be afraid that if he made space in there to carry cash it would be taking away space for another web-fluid cartridge, which would lead to him running out of web fluid at a crucial moment and someone dying and it being his responsibility....
    $100 dollars in 20s folded would be about the the height and width of a web cartridge but much slimmer...just a pocket sewn onto the back of the belt would not remove the space for a web cartridge.