Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Dark Angel of Feminism Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Otherworld
    Posts
    4,368

    Default Shadowcat’s Marvel re-read spanning from 1987-Onslaught

    I’ve decided to break out the back issues and do a Marvel U re-read encompassing a large array of titles.

    Starting with Iron Man 215 and finishing at Onslaught, this read through will consist of the following titles:

    Iron Man 215-332
    Captain America 327-454
    West Coast Avengers 17-102
    Avengers 278-402
    Fantastic Four 300-416
    Incredible Hulk 330-446
    Silver Surfer 1-123
    Doctor Strange Sorcerer Supreme 1-90
    Solo Avengers/Avengers Spotlight 1-40
    Quasar 1-60
    Sensational She-Hulk 1-60
    Marc Spector: Moon Knight 1-54
    Namor 1-62
    Force Works 1-22
    Fantastic Force 1-18

    More to be added later.

    Feel free to chime in with your own thoughts of any issues I might review.

  2. #2
    Dark Angel of Feminism Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Otherworld
    Posts
    4,368

    Default

    6FCAA1ED-61E5-4B58-A127-B73C1FE8F678.jpg

    Michelinie and Layton are back, and it’s a very different era from the O’Neil run already. We’re getting health issues that aren’t alcohol related, and a decisive move forward. Rhodey is typical Rhodey. Very cocky, and confident. Something he misses when not written by this duo. Not sure why the team decided to take the Stark space station out of commission so early into their run. Also I love the use of AIM. AIM’s one of those organizations that should have a lot bigger impact than what they do.

  3. #3
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,453

    Default

    Ambitious! Are you going to read an entire run and then move onto the next run, or read them in the order they were published?
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  4. #4
    Dark Angel of Feminism Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Otherworld
    Posts
    4,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Ambitious! Are you going to read an entire run and then move onto the next run, or read them in the order they were published?
    Read them in the order they were published. Had to leave out the Spider-Man/street level titles, and the X-books. I might never be able to read them and still love the medium ������.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    2,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’ve decided to break out the back issues and do a Marvel U re-read encompassing a large array of titles.

    Starting with Iron Man 215 and finishing at Onslaught, this read through will consist of the following titles:

    Iron Man 215-332
    Captain America 327-454
    West Coast Avengers 17-102
    Avengers 278-402
    Fantastic Four 300-416
    Incredible Hulk 330-446
    Silver Surfer 1-123
    Doctor Strange Sorcerer Supreme 1-90
    Solo Avengers/Avengers Spotlight 1-40
    Quasar 1-60
    Sensational She-Hulk 1-60
    Marc Spector: Moon Knight 1-54
    Namor 1-62
    Force Works 1-22
    Fantastic Force 1-18

    More to be added later.

    Feel free to chime in with your own thoughts of any issues I might review.
    Please do some older ASM arcs.Some of them are pure gold.

  6. #6
    Dark Angel of Feminism Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Otherworld
    Posts
    4,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Please do some older ASM arcs.Some of them are pure gold.
    That’s the next project. I plan on doing all of the Spider-Man titles up through the end of the Ben Reilly era, followed by the Midnight Sons, or X-books after that.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    2,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    That’s the next project. I plan on doing all of the Spider-Man titles up through the end of the Ben Reilly era, followed by the Midnight Sons, or X-books after that.
    Oh man.That's great news.Peter Parker for the win.

  8. #8
    Dark Angel of Feminism Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Otherworld
    Posts
    4,368

    Default

    Captain America 327 written by the late, great Mark Gruenwald, on the second year of his legendary Captain America run, with art by Paul Neary.

    This issue is definitely mid-arc from an over-arching thread that will have the US government strip Captain America ot his shield and title and give it to someone new. We have the Super Patriot, aka US Agent, and his right wing reactionary “Buckies”, Bold Urban Commando’s. The issue starts off with the BUC’s in Captain America masks, harassing middle eastern college students at their dorm, burning hateful rhetoric into their lawn. They’re intentionally being jingoistic towards the middle easterners in Cap masks to turn public opinion against Cap, and prop up the nationalist SP. The lawn that they do this at just so happens to be on the same campus of Cap’s soon to be ex-gal pal Bernie Rosenthal’s. Cap tries to help the local police, but it’s clear he’s not as welcome in America’s heartland as he is in NYC. Deciding to join Bern and her housemates at a concert dedicated to helping suffering farmers, and factory workers. He gets into a fight with Super Patriot, which leads to a stalemate between the two polar opposite patriotic characters. Unfortunately this stalemate, as well as his treatment from arriving in the town leaves Cap down in the dumps.

    This issue is very 80’s with its references, and celebrities that are name checked, but it’s actually a story that could be today, as it’s themes are very topical in today’s America. The BUC’s and Super Patriot with their anti-middle eastern rhetoric could easily fill in as the extreme nationalists that have been gaining traction since the Tea Party movement, up to the insurrectionists and the Q-Anon conspirators. Their actions could be a parallel to the increased rate of hate crimes against middle eastern Americans, as well as those perpetrated against Asian Americans since the coronavirus outbreak.

    Gru really had his pulse on the heartbeat of the internal struggles Americans dealt with, and continue to deal with to this day. Whether it be racism, homophobia, sexism, etc. the Super Patriot and the BUC’s presents a negative light on extremists championing conservative groups back then as well as currently. Gru didn’t give Cap any explicit political ideologies, and had him very much a centrist, and considering this was at the end of the troublesome Reagan era that’s saying something.

    I haven’t read much of Paul Neary’s art. Basically this run, the 6 issue Nick Fury vs. SHIELD mini, but basically know him for his editing of the Marvel UK line and his inking of Alan Davis’s work, but it’s serviceable, if not a tad bit pedestrian. It’s not flashy, and rather blockish. Nothing to get excited about.

    697F2765-ABE1-4AF2-B8FD-09072569F1A4.jpg
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 06-17-2021 at 12:28 AM.

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,694

    Default

    Very ambitious. Good luck. Marvel's catalogue by that point seemed to be unwieldy so choices have to be made. I think the X-Books are probably the biggest omission. You'll cross over with the Infinity stuff so I'd probably add the Silver Surfer and Adam Warlock to your list. The other big set of events are coming out of the X-Books so it's a question of whether you want to change your mind and read those books or not. Obviously, Onslaught spins out of that, but Bloodties does as well. Also, I think you're pre-Inferno.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

    I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

    Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

  10. #10
    Dark Angel of Feminism Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Otherworld
    Posts
    4,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Very ambitious. Good luck. Marvel's catalogue by that point seemed to be unwieldy so choices have to be made. I think the X-Books are probably the biggest omission. You'll cross over with the Infinity stuff so I'd probably add the Silver Surfer and Adam Warlock to your list. The other big set of events are coming out of the X-Books so it's a question of whether you want to change your mind and read those books or not. Obviously, Onslaught spins out of that, but Bloodties does as well. Also, I think you're pre-Inferno.
    I’ll read the X-books that directly crossover, but going to try to stay away from them in general. I don’t want to burn myself out.

    Infinity Watch & the Infinity Trilogy! Aye! Definitely need to add those books. SS is already on the list, so I’m not adverse to adding that amazing book to my run. Especially since they crossover with Thor as well.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 06-17-2021 at 10:47 AM.

  11. #11
    Dark Angel of Feminism Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Otherworld
    Posts
    4,368

    Default

    Fantastic Four 300–the wedding of the Human Torch to Lyja Masters, featuring the Puppet Master, the Wizard, and the Mad Thinker. I’ll say that the highlight from this issue was the absolute gorgeous art by the Buscema bros., and the Yancy Street Gang giving Ben the big middle finger for brooding. I’ve never been a fan of the marriage, but enjoyed it when it became clear that Alicia wasn’t Alicia. Not that it bothered me, there just wasn’t any chemistry there. Also not a fan of the Puppet Master. As a kid, he reminded me of the stereotypical pedophile, and I’m rather shocked nobody from Marvel has run with that angle for him. Anyway this is one of the few remaining issues before Steve Englehart takes over, so can’t wait to see how I feel about these books that I haven’t picked up in over a decade.
    6FE41145-67A5-4C94-8FFE-08C346CB6769.jpg

  12. #12
    Dark Angel of Feminism Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Otherworld
    Posts
    4,368

    Default

    Chapter one of Lost In Space-Time, Steve Englehart and Al Milgrom’s most ambitious story of their run. They tackle depression, rape, religion, wrapped in a sci-fi tale that I’d wager would be one of the best from this title. There’s a loooooooot of cringe in this book in my re-read. The overtly gross characterization of some of these characters is something that is clearly of a bygone era, and doesn’t read like it used to. I will give Englehart credit for trying to deal with some tropes that were relatively not addressed in Marvel books at the time, although they wouldn’t play out as well as they could have. Also his villains introduced are soooooo blatantly stereotypical of that demographic. A few are interesting, but for the most part, I can understand why they’re pretty much abandoned after this run.

    I remember loving Milgrom’s art when I was a kid, but alas, at least on this book, I do not have that same affection. It’s rather stiff and lackluster, and a big step down from the main Avengers’ title, of dearly departed Big John Buscema. Especially Wonder Man’s outfit. It’s heinous. Luckily this run gets better, and I’m particularly fond of the Zodiac arc that directly follows this one.

    Share your thoughts on this issue.
    88A429FE-44B9-416E-A7ED-2A2C9398414F.jpg

  13. #13
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    10,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    6FCAA1ED-61E5-4B58-A127-B73C1FE8F678.jpg

    Michelinie and Layton are back, and it’s a very different era from the O’Neil run already. We’re getting health issues that aren’t alcohol related, and a decisive move forward. Rhodey is typical Rhodey. Very cocky, and confident. Something he misses when not written by this duo. Not sure why the team decided to take the Stark space station out of commission so early into their run. Also I love the use of AIM. AIM’s one of those organizations that should have a lot bigger impact than what they do.
    I doubt I can keep up with you, but I'll give it a whirl.


    I'd forgotten how long it took to actually read an old school comic. So much packed into one issue.

    I do like how Rhodey is written here. And I agree, AIM is perfect against Iron Man and Stark. I'm fine with the space station being taken out, as it spreads out things. I prefer Iron Man to remain earthbound.

    I did LOL out Tony inventing his own high powered hair dryer. It was interesting to see how they showed aspects of his personality with those little asides, like the gals in the car next to him.

    Also. THAT ENDING!!!!
    Last edited by Reviresco; 06-21-2021 at 12:33 PM.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    5,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Also. THAT ENDING!!!!
    I know, right?! spoilers:
    When I saw smoke filtering out, I thought Rhodey was a goner.
    end of spoilers

  15. #15
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    5,484

    Default

    That's an excellent list! Lots of personal favorites in there.

    I think you're making a good choice holding off on the Spider/X-books for now. Those lines were already so bloated in the 80's-90's, they're each a project in and of themselves.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •