Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default Fantastic Four #33: Bride of Doom Part 2 - Review with SPOILERS

Well this is one fine mess and I can't say I didn't expect it. Even Matt Murdock could see this coming. It's to the point that I knew this would happen so it's not even worth getting ticked off. The one positive thing is that we get some lovely art by R.B. Silva & Luca Maresca with color art by Jesus Aburtov. It's a shame Slott's story isn't really worth it.

So, we see the FF deciding that they will accept the invitation to go. At this point I have to say I really don't like how Slott's version of Johnny is so clichéd. When he came back from the dead in Hickman's run, he was still the prankster but he was a bit more mature as I recall. I have no idea what is age is these days but IMO he's got to be on the verge of hitting his 30s. So let's say late 20s. Why in the world does he not warn the others that he has slept with Zora???!! There is a small chance that Reed might have been able to approach Doom with the truth and avoided this public fiasco. Sue had just mentioned how she unmasked him (I think it was more than that wasn't it?) in front of the universe. Now the team has to own up to another humiliation.

Doom's still Doom and he is able to spy on Reed and Sue on the eve of the wedding. But he does order his weaponeer to stop all projects that are designed to destroy the FF, except for one called the Armagedron. I'd be willing to bet it will be deployed next issue.

So the big day arrives with Black Panther and Namor as guests. Ben gives the bride away and a man of the cloth (a cardinal no less) begins the ceremony. When he gets to the part about fealty and trust, Zora can't stand it any longer and announces that she and Johnny did the nasty together. Stupid girl...couldn't' she hold out until later and break it to him privately? Truthfully, she should have told him before the wedding so that it could be called off but she wanted the trappings of power and serving her country I suppose.

At least Namor seems to be having a good time until all Hell breaks loose.

I give this 2 stars. One for the art and one for the reappearance of Doom's tiger Gunther from FF#5. That's cool that Doom has a name for him and keeps him around. He recently added the bear Novak as a new pet for the castle so maybe they can be buddies

Extraordinary Member

Namor with the perfect response...rates right up there with Doom laughing at the Krakoa Gala.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Namor with the perfect response...rates right up there with Doom laughing at the Krakoa Gala.
    I hope that it's Namor that Doom has dinner with in next month's Sword #7. It says he has dinner with an old friend after the gala. So I am guessing the Hellfire Gala happens before this issue?

Spectacular Member

This went pretty much exactly as i was expecting, the only thing i'm not certain of, is if the wedding was always some kind of trap or was the hypnosis device just a "failsafe" for Doom.

Otherwise it's a lot of contrived decisions, like in most by the books soap operas. It really feela like a second act of every romcom ever

Johnny's soulband beeing so prominently featured in his wedding suit, makes it obvious who will save them in part 3. Completing the third soap opera arc and their reconcilation.

The most interesting thing left in part 3 will be how Doom ends up in space and if Zora will rule Latveria?

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrap View Post
    This went pretty much exactly as i was expecting, the only thing i'm not certain of, is if the wedding was always some kind of trap or was the hypnosis device just a "failsafe" for Doom.

Otherwise it's a lot of contrived decisions, like in most by the books soap operas. It really feela like a second act of every romcom ever

Johnny's soulband beeing so prominently featured in his wedding suit, makes it obvious who will save them in part 3. Completing the third soap opera arc and their reconcilation.

The most interesting thing left in part 3 will be how Doom ends up in space and if Zora will rule Latveria?
    I also wonder if this is the end for her in Doom's eyes. I think she will live but she may be exiled or something. I don't think the wedding was a trap but it's possible. We don't know what roles Namor and Black Panther will play in this. With one issue left in this I don't expect Slott to get too deep in the weeds. I'm expecting a groaner of an ending since the whole arc has been one.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    At this point I have to say I really don't like how Slott's version of Johnny is so clichéd. When he came back from the dead in Hickman's run, he was still the prankster but he was a bit more mature as I recall. I have no idea what is age is these days but IMO he's got to be on the verge of hitting his 30s. So let's say late 20s. Why in the world does he not warn the others that he has slept with Zora???!!
    I know, I feel bad for how that maturity Johnny developed from dying and resurrecting in the Negative Zone is rarely depicted. Funny thing is Slott did depict in in a Spidey/Torch arc in ASM after Johnny came back.
    Ben gives the bride away and a man of the cloth (a cardinal no less) begins the ceremony.
    That surprised me. When I saw the cross I said huh, Doom allows Catholicism/Eastern Orthodoxy to continue in Latveria. But then the bishop is also a cardinal? Unless it works differently in the MU, he'd have to have been promoted by the Pope. So Vatican/Latverian relations are normal.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Why does Johnny all of a sudden have feelings for Victorious?

Their interactions have been brief and have been her insulting him or physically assaulting him. Even the one night stand was without any feelings involved. It's weird.

Johnny has zero chemistry with either Sky or Victorious. There should have been no romance plot for him and he should have stayed single instead of this mess that makes him even more immature than in the past. Even as a teen he wouldn't have been this stupid.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

Their interactions have been brief and have been her insulting him or physically assaulting him. Even the one night stand was without any feelings involved. It's weird.

Johnny has zero chemistry with either Sky or Victorious. There should have been no romance plot for him and he should have stayed single instead of this mess that makes him even more immature than in the past. Even as a teen he wouldn't have been this stupid.
    Well there is only one plausible explanation...Dan Slott hates Johnny Storm...and possibly Franklin Richards because under Hickman he grew (literally and figuratively) and then we got stuck with this dreck under Slott!

I read it and thought 'well this is dumb'.

I did like the reactions to Zora's confession. Ben facepalms, Sue rolls her eyes and says "brother...", Namor bursts into laughter, and Reed stretches his arm out and whacks Johnny!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BTW, when did Doom conquer Silver Sables homeland?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Well there is only one plausible explanation...Dan Slott hates Johnny Storm...
    That contradicts how he wrote Johnny in his Spider-Man/Human Torch mini though, as well as whenever Johnny guested on his Amazing Spider-Man run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    BTW, when did Doom conquer Silver Sables homeland?
    Doctor Doom #8
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

Johnny has always had better chemistry with male characters than most of his various girlfriends. Skye even wondered if Wyatt wasn't his true soulmate. Too bad those two can't hook up.

Quote Originally Posted by cmore View Post
    Johnny has always had better chemistry with male characters than most of his various girlfriends. Skye even wondered if Wyatt wasn't his true soulmate. Too bad those two can't hook up.
    I'd still like to see Johnny and Crystal together but writers have treated both of them so badly over the years.

Johnny Storm-1
    Doctor Doom-0
    The J-man