Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Hated 8

We could probably put Robin in here, even though I like him.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    Those non-original, non-Morrison Doom Patrol characters are a squirrelly bunch, aren't they?
    He's probably too obscure to be "hated", but Fast Forward was a douche, no? (he was dubbed "Negative Man" because of his attitude - I honestly forgot his superhero name and had to look it up, but I remembered the nickname more)

Those non-original, non-Morrison Doom Patrol characters are a squirrelly bunch, aren't they?

But yeah, Karma's probably the most unloved of the lot. Just a terribly off-putting dillhole of a character. He gets full nomination marks.

Are there any Outsiders that come to mind?
    I'm all onboard for Celsius, Tempest, and Negative Woman. Beyond that, I had a soft spot for Lodestone...I feel like someone could bring her back in a compelling way these days. Blaze was just kind of a non-entity and Karma...well, here we are.

And the Doom Patrol talk reminded me of Byrne's reboot, which just as a run/idea was almost universally hated. So his original characters there, Grunt, Nudge, and Vortex, could be candidates.

And thinking of Outsiders...I was never a Looker fan but becoming a vampire actually helped her. Technocrat and Wylde were kinda meh, but I don't think they're hate-worthy. Eradicator was obnoxious. Oh, but then there's Freight Train, Dan DiDio's contribution to Outsider lore by seemingly attempting to splice together Dwayne Johnson and Lobo. I hated him and think he'd be a GREAT candidate.
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 06-17-2021 at 06:38 PM.

1.Tomorrow Woman
    2. Eradicator
    3. Simon Dark
    4. Zauriel
    5. Triumph
    6. Tanga
    7. New Lobo
    8. Wonder Woman
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The dream is dead, so wake up and fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkgreed View Post
    1.Tomorrow Woman
    2. Eradicator
    3. Simon Dark
    4. Zauriel
    5. Triumph
    6. Tanga
    7. New Lobo
    8. Wonder Woman
    Man, Tanga. I had to look that one up. I think she's kind of off-limits, being creator-owned and all that.

Of this list, I'd definitely consider Eradicator. Of course, these days, I think he/it's more squarely a villain, but that may all be retconned away. In any event, the David Conner version was definitely a big pile of meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I'm all onboard for Celsius, Tempest, and Negative Woman. Beyond that, I had a soft spot for Lodestone...I feel like someone could bring her back in a compelling way these days. Blaze was just kind of a non-entity and Karma...well, here we are.

And the Doom Patrol talk reminded me of Byrne's reboot, which just as a run/idea was almost universally hated. So his original characters there, Grunt, Nudge, and Vortex, could be candidates.

And thinking of Outsiders...I was never a Looker fan but becoming a vampire actually helped her. Technocrat and Wylde were kinda meh, but I don't think they're hate-worthy. Eradicator was obnoxious. Oh, but then there's Freight Train, Dan DiDio's contribution to Outsider lore by seemingly attempting to splice together Dwayne Johnson and Lobo. I hated him and think he'd be a GREAT candidate.
    I think we need to be careful not to blur the line between "boring and/or dumb" and "actively off-putting." Most of those less-then-stellar Outsiders and Doom Patrollers fall into the former category, I think.

Eradicator, on the other hand... yeah, he's a woofer.

I considered Freight Train, but I read up a little on him, and found out he's based on a fanboy (in a nice way), so I kind of feel ambivalent about adding him.

Let me toss three out there for you.

Joker's Daughter (really Two-Face's daughter) also known as Harlequin.

I know they keep bringing this character back and keep trying to revamp her, but I don't think there's ever been a version that anybody actually cared about.

Battalion
    A Drill Sgt Team Titans member from the future (of course!). This looks like somebody tried to combine elements of Lobo's design and Cable's without any of the good elements of either.

Hoppy the Marvel Bunny. A character from the old Captain marvel comics that most of the time DC seems to embarrassed to admit even existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Let me toss three out there for you.

Joker's Daughter (really Two-Face's daughter) also known as Harlequin.

I know they keep bringing this character back and keep trying to revamp her, but I don't think there's ever been a version that anybody actually cared about.

Battalion
    A Drill Sgt Team Titans member from the future (of course!). This looks like somebody tried to combine elements of Lobo's design and Cable's without any of the good elements of either.

Hoppy the Marvel Bunny. A character from the old Captain marvel comics that most of the time DC seems to embarrassed to admit even existed.
    You'll never get me to say anything bad about old-school Duela Dent. Though the heavens may rumble and an army of fanboys may rise up against me, she is precious in my eyes.

Battalion, oy. Someone should build a whole team out of uninspired Cable knock-offs. Of the whole Team Titans group, he's definitely the one I'd give a nominating nod to.

Hoppy? No way man... Hoppy's cool. You know which DC funny animal *does* make my brain itch? American Eagle on the Zoo Crew. Not enough to put on the list, but he just seems so... unnecessary on a team that already has Yankee Poodle. Are there *any* hated DCU funny animals?

Here's my personal running list of nominees as of this moment:

Triumph
    Jamm
    Tarantula II
    Danny Chase
    Gunfire
    Lori Manning
    Fate
    Earth Man
    Extrano
    Brown Bomber
    Arthur Joseph Curry
    General Glory
    Twilight Emo Lobo (if he's not a villain)

Getting really close to enough for a poll

More later but for now, Magistrate. That arc can’t be over soon enough.

Just to be clear, which General Glory are we talking about? The original or his sucessor? (Cos' I love Gral Glory. The original.)
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Battalion, oy. Someone should build a whole team out of uninspired Cable knock-offs. Of the whole Team Titans group, he's definitely the one I'd give a nominating nod to.
    They did that once.

They called it Image Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Danny was/is so inconsequential at the end of the day.
    Mister Chase’s parents are international spies for Machetes sake!

Ultimate Member

I nominate Ambush Bug for the Hated 8.

Any time he appeared in someone else's book, it meant the book was going to be derailed by his 'humor,' which wasn't terribly funny, and generally seemed to involve making the title character of the book look foolish (which hardly seemed like a great way to endear him to people who were fans of the character whose name was on the title of the book they were buying...).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Mister Chase’s parents are international spies for Machetes sake!
    When Danny Chase was introduced, I thought he might be a surviving son of Adrian Chase/Vigilante (who believed that his family got blowed up in his Punisher-esque origin story), but, no, totally unrelated to the Titan's backstory, and therefore, IMO, a missed opportunity.

You'll never get me to say anything bad about old-school Duela Dent. Though the heavens may rumble and an army of fanboys may rise up against me, she is precious in my eyes.
    Preach it. Duela's awesome!

I want her to continue her 'X's Daughter' theme, based off of various other villains, using gimmicks and gadgets to be 'Freeze's Daughter' or 'Ivy's Daughter' or 'Luthor's Daughter.' (Seriously, she shaved her head for that one!)

I guess it is kind of a red herring, but comics has so many circumstances like that.