1.Tomorrow Woman
    2. Eradicator
    3. Simon Dark
    4. Zauriel
    5. Triumph
    6. Tanga
    7. New Lobo
    8. Wonder Woman
    I don't know about Zauriel or Tomorrow Woman but Wonder Woman is not generally loathed. She doesn't qualify for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I nominate Ambush Bug for the Hated 8.

Any time he appeared in someone else's book, it meant the book was going to be derailed by his 'humor,' which wasn't terribly funny, and generally seemed to involve making the title character of the book look foolish (which hardly seemed like a great way to endear him to people who were fans of the character whose name was on the title of the book they were buying...).

When Danny Chase was introduced, I thought he might be a surviving son of Adrian Chase/Vigilante (who believed that his family got blowed up in his Punisher-esque origin story), but, no, totally unrelated to the Titan's backstory, and therefore, IMO, a missed opportunity.

Preach it. Duela's awesome!

I want her to continue her 'X's Daughter' theme, based off of various other villains, using gimmicks and gadgets to be 'Freeze's Daughter' or 'Ivy's Daughter' or 'Luthor's Daughter.' (Seriously, she shaved her head for that one!)
    Again, was Ambush Bug actually hated? From what I've seen, fans seem to like him just fine.

I nominate Ambush Bug for the Hated 8.

Any time he appeared in someone else's book, it meant the book was going to be derailed by his 'humor,' which wasn't terribly funny, and generally seemed to involve making the title character of the book look foolish (which hardly seemed like a great way to endear him to people who were fans of the character whose name was on the title of the book they were buying...).
    ^^^I feel the same way, and for the same reasons, about Marvel’s Deadpool.
    Every time I see him on a comic book’s cover I have an instant “ugh” reaction.

When Danny Chase was introduced, I thought he might be a surviving son of Adrian Chase/Vigilante (who believed that his family got blowed up in his Punisher-esque origin story), but, no, totally unrelated to the Titan's backstory, and therefore, IMO, a missed opportunity.
    ^^^Damn, that would have been a great twist.

A few more for consideration....

Wildcat II: the female Wildcat

Wildcat III: Wildcat's illegitimate son who had the ability to turn into a werepanther.

Extraño: A flamboyantly gay member of the New Guardians. He got HIV from fighting an AIDs Vampire.

Brother Power the Geek: a mannequin brought to life turned hippie.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't know about Zauriel or Tomorrow Woman but Wonder Woman is not generally loathed. She doesn't qualify for this thread.
    Tomorrow Woman is one of my absolute favorite "one hit wonder" characters. Yeah, she came back less successfully later on, but I always had the vibe people kinda just didn't know or care much about those appearances rather than hating them.

I love Zauriel too, he's great.

That said... on the exact opposite side of the argument, I think policing who gets to be unpopular enough for the Hated 8 is a fool's errand. That kinda goes for the whole thread.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    I feel fairly okay with picking Triumph - Although I have a fond spot for the guy (every character has SOME fans)
    I think it's a fine choice, since the characters also came to dislike him in the stories.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I'll throw another log onto the fire:

General Glory
    A number of characters nominated for consideration thus far fall under the category of "signs that a beloved title was about to jump the proverbial shark." Danny Chase, for example. When General Glory went from being a comic-within-a-comic jab at Captain America to a full-fledged DCU character Who Kept Showing Up, he became both an annoyance and a sign that the Bwah-ha-ha Justice League was rounding the corner from "inspired mix of comedy and drama" to "parody of its once-brilliant self." What say y'all?
    I actually really liked the General Glory storyline. I'm under the opinion that the Dematteis/Giffen Justice League was at it's peak from the time Adam Hughes started pencil duties until Breakdowns began.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Again, was Ambush Bug actually hated? From what I've seen, fans seem to like him just fine.
    This thread is honestly the first I've ever heard of any hate for Ambush Bug. His original mini was the first DC book I collected, along with Crisis, and he's been a favorite of mine ever since. And comparing him to Deadpool misses the point of the character entirely. Yeah, they both have moments of comic-book self-awareness, but AB is more about poking fun at some of the sillier tropes/properties from DC's past while Deadpool is more like Bugs Bunny meets Deathstroke. Comically driven, yes, but Bug is more of an archivist while DP's more of an anarchist.

What's interesting as this thread plows onward is how *few* hero characters we can name that are even *generally* disliked. I mean, even deadenders like Karma have fans chiming in, fer gosh sakes, which absolutely boggles the imagination

I'm going to leave this thread open for nominations for a few more days, then start up some voting.

I'll throw another character out there: Faith. Joe Kelly's JLA run was pretty darned good, in my opinion. But I'm under the impression that no one ever really warmed up to his vaguely-Mary Sue-like character who was just given membership in the group without so much as a "who she is and how she came to be." Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I agree that "universally disliked" isn't easy since almost any hero has some fans, so I went with heroes who have certainly had a lot of dislike over the years that seems stronger than their goodwill. I threw in Gunfire just because he's more the example of "the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference" (and c'mon, his whole "He turns everything he touches into a gun" schtick is just dumb) Snapper had powers at some point and was on a team, so the image is from that time. And Jamm is actually just too easy, and just ... he's so hated, I couldn't even put him on here...
    By Jove, he's got it! (OK, there are a few I've never heard of, but based on the others, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt)!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Ooh, one last one for consideration:

Icemaiden. Not Ice, but the other one.

Am I wrong, or is she widely disliked?

Ooh, one last one for consideration:

Icemaiden. Not Ice, but the other one.

Am I wrong, or is she widely disliked?
    I think that's accurate. She (Sigrid) was kind of a slog of a character, coming off as kind of needy and pathetic. How much of this is because she couldn't match up to Ice (Tora), I'm not sure, but I doubt you'll find many willing to stand up for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I think that's accurate. She (Sigrid) was kind of a slog of a character, coming off as kind of needy and pathetic. How much of this is because she couldn't match up to Ice (Tora), I'm not sure, but I doubt you'll find many willing to stand up for her.
    I agree on that. She was not very liked, replaced a well liked character who everyone admitted killing was a mistake, always compared and comparing herself, with Ice, trying to displace Ice, let's say she had several points against her. (She was lesbian, so now that must count as positive points).
    However his last appearance was sad, really tragic (being skinned alive). And as it was not enough, most probably you will not to see her again, for a looong hard time. Some characters had no luck.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin