Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Hated 8

Default The Hated 8

Like many of you, no doubt, I occasionally dabble in coming up with random teams of DC heroes. It's a great big DCU, and there's lots of interesting unmined characters, after all.

The other day, I came up with an absurd notion: create of team of 8 heroes that would be a really hard sell, because they're so generally loathed. The Hated 8, if you will.

Rules
    - Only DC heroes. No villains or hangers-on. So no Terry Long.
    - I'm looking for characters that seem to be generally loathed. Not "characters that are popular, but I just don't get (Harley Quinn)," or "characters I don't like because they replaced my favorite," but characters that appear to be not-well-liked by just about everyone. Basically, we're looking for characters that, even if YOU like them, are admittedly a tough sell.
    - No characters that fans used to hate, but now seem to be acceptable. Vibe used to be on this list, but I think a few years on the Flash TV show have pushed him into the tolerable zone.
    - Have fun.

Here's who I've got so far:

Triumph
    His origin ("time lost founding member of the JLA that everyone forgot because of time shenanigans") was interesting. Also, the choice to make him kind of a jerk was a bold move. But he never clicked. I kind of liked the poor, annoying dope, but it's fair to say that I'm rather alone on that score.

Jamm
    To be fair, most of the Bloodlines characters were varying degrees of lame or silly. But Jamm, the cowardly skater-bro with the Purple Man's power set and a penchant for ordering female characters to take off their clothes, is particularly skeevy and unlikeable. I don't think he's been seen in years, and is about as loathsome a hero as DC has ever produced.

Tarantula II She started out interesting. A legacy vigilante hero with a violent streak that needed to be reined in. And then she raped Nightwing, and dropped of the face of the DCU. So far, the only female or person of color in the group.

Danny Chase I'd like a ruling on Danny. I think he's the Cousin Oliver of the Titans, a bold experiment that was generally unloved by fans in general. But I sense that there may be more Danny Chase love out there than I believe. In any event, I have him slotted as the obnoxious kid member of the team.

Any others?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I think it's going to be harder than one might think to find universally loathed characters.

For instance, I don't hate Triumph; I'd replace him with his JLTF teammate Mystek. I'd also replace Danny Chase with Jericho - not that I dislike one more than the other, simply because Danny was/is so inconsequential at the end of the day.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I think it's going to be harder than one might think to find universally loathed characters.

For instance, I don't hate Triumph; I'd replace him with his JLTF teammate Mystek. I'd also replace Danny Chase with Jericho - not that I dislike one more than the other, simply because Danny was/is so inconsequential at the end of the day.
    Agreed on the difficulty factor, that's why I've only hit on 4 so far.

I feel fairly okay with picking Triumph - Although I have a fond spot for the guy (every character has SOME fans), I think he fits the bill of "broadly disliked." Mystek, on the other hand,, I frankly never got a sense of anyone having any opinion about (of course, the same could be said of Jamm, but he's such a Mort that I have to include him ).

Re: Danny Chase vs. Jericho - I dunno. At the time of his introduction, Jericho was welcomed with open arms by fandom (at least, that's my impression). Danny, on the other hand, fairly or not, is kind of the avatar of When The Wolfman/Perez Titans Officially Started Going South.

But hey, that's what makes this an interesting discussion.

I'll throw one out there - Tyroc. As a child of the 70's I LOVE Tryoc, but I gotta admit that the character is a little cringe. Has he circled all the way back to being ironically hip?

Also, it's a pity that I've cut out hangers-on, 'cause otherwise I'd nominate the Yazz. No one liked the Yazz, right?

I agree that "universally disliked" isn't easy since almost any hero has some fans, so I went with heroes who have certainly had a lot of dislike over the years that seems stronger than their goodwill. I threw in Gunfire just because he's more the example of "the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference" (and c'mon, his whole "He turns everything he touches into a gun" schtick is just dumb) Snapper had powers at some point and was on a team, so the image is from that time. And Jamm is actually just too easy, and just ... he's so hated, I couldn't even put him on here...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-16-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    Also, it's a pity that I've cut out hangers-on, 'cause otherwise I'd nominate the Yazz. No one liked the Yazz, right?
    Absolutely no one!

(and I liked a lot about that mostly-reviled run)
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

1. Electric Superman Red
    2. Electric Superman Blue
    3. Bart Allen Flash
    4. Ric Grayson
    5. 90s Fate
    6. The Brown Bomber
    7. Arthur Joseph Curry Aquaman
    8. New 52 Lobo

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I agree that "universally disliked" isn't easy since almost any hero has some fans, so I went with heroes who have certainly had a lot of dislike over the years that seems stronger than their goodwill. I threw in Gunfire just because he's more the example of "the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference" (and c'mon, his whole "He turns everything he touches into a gun" schtick is just dumb) Snapper had powers at some point and was on a team, so the image is from that time. And Jamm is actually just too easy, and just ... he's so hated, I couldn't even put him on here...
    I know that G'nort is an intentionally lame character, but do people really "hate" him?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    - No characters that fans used to hate, but now seem to be acceptable. Vibe used to be on this list, but I think a few years on the Flash TV show have pushed him into the tolerable zone.
    I would still nominate the original version of Vibe from the Justice League Detroit era. That character is terrible, and has not much resemblance with the CW Version.

Incredible Member

Harper Row circa 2015 would been a good fit, as nicest things I saw about her then was "bland but unnecessary"

But I think batfans have calmed down about her now that Dick is Nightwing again, Tim/Cass/Steph have all hung out, and she ain't really doing anything other than a backup.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

1. Gunfire (except for Ellis' take in Hitman)
    2. Anima
    3. Snapper Carr
    4. Ric Grayson
    5. 90s Fate
    6. 'Evil' Raven (circa 1993)
    8. New 52 Lobo
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Lots of good ideas here:

Snapper - I'd say that Silver Age Snapper was definitely in the running, barring his mascot status. But ever since he got powers, he's remade himself as a full-on Rick Jones type. And after Hourman, he's really hard to hate.

Fate - It's interesting that a number of characters reflecting the excesses of the 90's are popping up. At the time, I don't remember people being all *that* annoyed by him, but the years have not been kind. He's definitely a nominee.

G'Nort - Wait, there are people that hate G'nort? Who are these people?

Earth Man - Oh yeah, that guy. Redemption arc or no, he's a jackwagon. He's a contender.

Lori Manning - Now we're sucking diesel. Her whole storyline felt like an out-of-control virus that sucked panel-time away from the rest of the Legion. The fact that she also got an H-Dial AND could someday become the Time Trapper and/or Glorith just made her even more infuriating. Anyone else fell like she belongs on the list?

Gunfire - I've been avoiding Gunfire only because a) he's obvious, b) we could stack the list with Bloodlines characters, and c) DC writers have already repeatedly taken a chunk out of the guy, but yeah, he probably deserves a nod.

Extrano - A confession: I whole-heartedly believe that Extrano is one of DC's hidden gems, a character that could totally carry his own book. I mean, he's a cosmic space witch who doesn't just "happen to be" gay, but is "flamboyantly in-your-face" gay. In 2021 you could get Eisner award winning issues out of that character without even working that hard. So I'm torn. Original-flavor Extrano would definitely be on the list. But recently he's been popping up in more places (with all the "fun" sanded off of him... yawn) so I'm not sure where he belongs. Opinions?

Low hanging fruit:

Although he did had some cool moments in Rebirth; not sure if that is enough to disqualify him though

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

1. Electric Superman Red
    2. Electric Superman Blue
    3. Bart Allen Flash
    4. Ric Grayson
    5. 90s Fate
    6. The Brown Bomber
    8. New 52 Lobo
    As much as I might agree with some of the bad directions on this list (Ric Grayson), I think I'm going to have to draw the line at including "poorly considered character arcs," 'cause a) how are we going to make a team book out of those, and b) we'll be here all day

Aside from those:

Brown Bomber
    Ye gods. A character that (justifiably) never saw the light of day, the horribly racist proto-Black Lightning that never actually existed in the DCU, but only showed up once in a "time is all messed up" JLA story? Sure, I'm game. It'd be a challenge and a half to rehabilitate that misfire.

Fate
    Already on the board.

AJ Curry
    That poor bastich.

"We're gonna make a NEW Aquaman, and give him a heroic quest, and connect him to the Arthurian saga."
    "Well, I didn't ask for that, but I guess -"
    "And his name is ALSO Arthur Curry!"
    "Ah, so this is a reboot, then."
    "No, the old-school Aquaman is is still lurking in the background."
    "So why is his name Arthur-"
    "Also, the old Aquaman is a sea monster now."
    "Yeah, I already hate this."

In short, I think he's one for the list.

Sparkle Twilight Lobo
    Since a) it's been established that he's a separate character from "classic" Lobo, and b) EVERYONE hated that guy, I'll allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    Low hanging fruit:

Although he did had some cool moments in Rebirth; not sure if that is enough to disqualify him though
    I think Guy has a big enough fanbase to disqualify him. He's a jackass, but he's a beloved jackass.

Here's another one to consider: Magog. He started out as an interesting guy in Kingdom Come (Liefeldian parody with hidden depths), but the more showed up in the actual DCU, the more I sense that fans really got tired of seeing him. Thoughts?

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I know that G'nort is an intentionally lame character, but do people really "hate" him?
    I love G’nort ❤️