Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is probably gonna be controversial, but Brad Pitt in Seven. I have seen an embarrassing number of Brad Pitt films, and this was the only performance of his that I thought was good.

Also probably controversial: Russell Crowe* and Nicole Kidman in Boy Erased.

*Fully acknowledge Russell Crowe was phenomenal in the early-aughts when his career took off with Gladiator, but for the last decade or so, whether due to some lousy project choices or his own lack of interest, his performances/films haven't been as stellar as they once were.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Because his last handful of "comedies" have been Adam Sandler Netflix original bad. Seriously what was the last really good Will Ferrell led movie?
    But that is not the question. It isn't best performances from actors who recently made bad movies. It's best performances from mediocre actors. Great actors made bad movies, it doesn't diminish their talent. But again, Ferrill has made mostly comedies, some very funny, so how do we judge him a mediocre actor when the sample size is so small. Maybe Everything Must Go and Stranger than Fiction.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Hayden Christensen - Shattered Glass.

Vin Diesel as Groot. I know it's voice acting, but still.

I haven't seen it but he apparently Vin was very good in "Find me guilty".
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Plenty of serious actors who will never have "Oscar Potential..." are brilliant at what they do in spite of that.

Lots of folks just put a little too much stock into "Oscar Potential..." actually being much of a valid measure of a given actor's actual capability.
    Oscar potential is just the easiest way to make others understand how good the range of an actor is. However no one really feels all talented actors need to win Oscars because many usually don't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Hayden Christensen - Shattered Glass.
    If Christensen was never in the Star Wars Prequels, the story would be different. It is sad that Christensen is called a bad actor only because of Star Wars.

^Thought that despite some missteps his acting in ROTS was much improved.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    ^Thought that despite some missteps his acting in ROTS was much improved.
    I thought he was maybe worse in ROTS. I don't know if Hayden was just miscast or maybe George Lucas did not just direct him well...at all, but the problem with his Anakin was that he failed to do what was needed with the character.

Anakin was supposed to be a sympathetic character, at least from the audience point of view, however Hayden made him come off as an unlikeable sociopath and when you have that kind of character with the natural bad acting to add, there is nothing really positive to say about his overall performance.
    Last edited by Castle; 06-20-2021 at 09:47 AM.

Lucas is not good with actors. He was very fortunate to have Ford, Hamel, Fisher and Guinness in the first movies and McGregor and Portman in the prequels. Someone like Christiansen, who obviously needed direction and didn't get it suffer with Lucas as a Director.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    This is probably gonna be controversial, but Brad Pitt in Seven. I have seen an embarrassing number of Brad Pitt films, and this was the only performance of his that I thought was good.

Also probably controversial: Russell Crowe* and Nicole Kidman in Boy Erased.

*Fully acknowledge Russell Crowe was phenomenal in the early-aughts when his career took off with Gladiator, but for the last decade or so, whether due to some lousy project choices or his own lack of interest, his performances/films haven't been as stellar as they once were.
    While I know that I have probably said this before, the scene in the gas station in Kalifornia always sticks out as great work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    This is probably gonna be controversial, but Brad Pitt in Seven.
    Not as controversial this one. Humphrey Bogart in The African Queen. Until this movie, he was always a one trick pony. That may have been more due to the nature of Hollywood at the time rather than his innate skills as an actor.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    If Christensen was never in the Star Wars Prequels, the story would be different. It is sad that Christensen is called a bad actor only because of Star Wars.
    What other Hayden Christensen movies do you reccomend, because I made the mistake of watching Jumper and he gives a worse performance in that than even the Prequels.

I think a lot here are mixing up 'they deliver mediocre movies' and 'they are mediocre ACTORS' (as in their talent is mediocre). A lot of the comedy guys thrown around are DAMN GOOD at comedy. It's a skill, it's a performance, and they have comic timing, understanding the flow of comedy... but if the film is bad or the script is bad, there's only so much an actor can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Great choices!
    Thank-you

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Well, i personally wouldn't call Keanu Reeves a mediocre actor (nor a good one though) but that's sure as hell (haha) was a good, enjoyable job from him.
    What's between mediocre and not good one??? Surely it's: bad, mediocre, good, great, excellent???

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Usually Julia Roberts is seen as awful and overrated and despite the controversy around her Oscar Win many people have agreed that she did a good acting performance in Erin Brockovich but it was her winning over favorite Ellen Burstein that brought a lot of pissing on it.
    Oh come now, she is many things, but mediocre she is not. YES, she mostly plays the same role, but she does it bloody well and plenty of good actresses couldn't do those roles half as well. She's talented, and deserved all her Oscar noms and Oscar win.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Not as controversial this one. Humphrey Bogart in The African Queen. Until this movie, he was always a one trick pony. That may have been more due to the nature of Hollywood at the time rather than his innate skills as an actor.
    The expectations of stars to do largely the same thing over and over and just print money is endemic to almost all Golden Age of Hollywood movies.

It says something that one of Henry Fonda’s most shocking roles had to be made in Italy, as Frank in Once Upon a Time in the West. There’s a lot of mediocre roles he (a great actor) went through where they just wanted him to play his usual character, but that one is shocking in terms of how it let him show he could use all his skills to make an utter monster.

For this thread, I’d say Chuck Connors’s villainous turns in Gunsmoke were great plays on his usual characterization
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP