Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dan Slott

8 23.53%
  • Christopher Cantwell

26 76.47%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I'm loving Cantwell's run so far. It's been a real treat seeing all the classic villains pop up. Ultimo, Stilt-Man, Melter, Controller, and Blizzard. When was the last time any of these guys appeared? Anyone saying how terrible this run is just doesn't get how much fun it's been, especially for long time fans.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    I'm loving Cantwell's run so far. It's been a real treat seeing all the classic villains pop up. Ultimo, Stilt-Man, Melter, Controller, and Blizzard. When was the last time any of these guys appeared? Anyone saying how terrible this run is just doesn't get how much fun it's been, especially for long time fans.
    Yeah. Iron Man's rogues gallery hasn't seen this much "screen time" in years. I'm still waiting to see if Dreadknight shows up.

As someone who tries most Iron Man runs and rarely sticks around the whole way, Cantwell has really captured my attention

Slott's run was about Stark's struggle with his own identity, with whose son he was, and if he even had a soul after all the genetic engineering and rebooting he'd gone through. I found that interesting.

Cantwell's run...I can't even quite figure out what his run is about. Some vague stuff about individuality rah rah rah.

Mighty Member

Given the choices here, Cantwell. For whatever flaws he has, he has a better grasp of the non-comic subject matter than Slott did. (Slott tried punching too far above his weight, and wrote something that would have been painful to read in the 90s.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    As someone who tries most Iron Man runs and rarely sticks around the whole way, Cantwell has really captured my attention
    Glad to hear you're sticking around and enjoying Iron Man.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Slott's run was about Stark's struggle with his own identity, with whose son he was, and if he even had a soul after all the genetic engineering and rebooting he'd gone through. I found that interesting.
    This is how I see Slott's run. I have reread it since it ended and I think his run is underrated. Although I think 9 issues in Cantwell's run is better.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

For me, there is not a better run than David Michelinie, after that, It's hard to know, I loved Busiek take on Iron Man, but after this, everything goes down until more or less Fraction that for me wasn't exactly an enjoyable run, it was okay but not excellent like some people praises.

I can't say anything about Cantwell because I have not read anything yet and Slott, hard to say.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Yeah seeing the rogues gallery has been great. Although I want to see Madam Masque get a bigger role than she has so far.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I like Patsy....she and Tony are both kind of broken and they are helping each other to overcome some of their demons.
    Another broken character who I understand has appeared has been Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider. Is he still popping up in the book? I feel someone needs to rehab him after PAD's last run with him a few years back.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

I still have mixed feelings on Cantwell's run. Although it must be doing something good as it something I want to read every month instead of dropping like Slott's run.
    I will say through, the worst part of the comic is Iron Man himself and the side characters are the fun part of the book.

It's like asking which of my feet I want to shoot.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I like Patsy....she and Tony are both kind of broken and they are helping each other to overcome some of their demons.
    I'm at a loss to understand how Tony could be "broken". He literally was given a second chance at life at the end of Slott's run, and yet, Cantwell threw the baby out with the bathwater and turned Tony into a neurotic mess with self-confidence issues. I'm not ready to pass judgment on what Cantwell's doing, but, I won't deny it's been interesting so far.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'm at a loss to understand how Tony could be "broken". He literally was given a second chance at life at the end of Slott's run, and yet, Cantwell threw the baby out with the bathwater and turned Tony into a neurotic mess with self-confidence issues. I'm not ready to pass judgment on what Cantwell's doing, but, I won't deny it's been interesting so far.
    The idea of Tony being strained due to the recent events and his identity crisis isn't bad. But the execution is terrible.

More seriously than the previous reply, I feel like with a solid editor, Cantwell's run could be fixed into something really interesting. But with Slott's run, there wasn't an actual core to refine, just a jumble of ideas.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

IMO I don't think Tony has been totally "cured". He keeps trying a "do it yourself" approach and it never really works. He works on himself a lot of the time like he is one of his machines or suits of armor. He's been dead, turned into an A.I etc. So even if he got a "new life" it's what he carries around inside that really hasn't been "fixed".
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-22-2021 at 02:09 PM.

The whole "Howard and Maria aren't my parents/Amanda is my real mom/Arno is my brother who wants to kill me/am I real or A.I./my alcoholism flared up" can mess with you.

It messed with me and I'm not Tony . I think Cantwell is trying to clean all of this up by dealing with the mental aspect of all of these things just constantly coming at you. It can create some kind of identity crisis which is what Tony's been experiencing. I've been glad with Cantwell's run because of the return of some classic villains and some good art. The story is compelling but it shouldn't drag on for too long. That's been the problem with a lot of stories of late.