Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Default So I was told that the Kent's absolutely needed to be in Superman's adult life.

Something about too much tragedy for the Kent's to not be around when Clark is 20-30 years old. So what exactly have the Kent's even been doing since the second resurrections.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Something about too much tragedy for the Kent's to not be around when Clark is 20-30 years old. So what exactly have the Kent's even been doing since the second resurrections.
    Back at their farm, hoping to hang out with their grandson Jon, helping raise Conner before he got snatched by the suicide squad (if that really is Conner). Though if I was them after the identity reveal I'd write a book called "Raising Superman" no way is that not a top selling biography.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

So something completely unhelpful to Kon-El's character and nothing?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

(insert gif of Abe Simpsons turning around and going out door)
    Assassinate Putin!

Too much tragedy?

I always smile a bit at the almost universal conceit that Batman is a tragic character but Superman isn’t.

After all...his entire planet was destroyed as part of his origin!

I can easily accept that Superman would be a happy go lucky guy UP to the point when he realised he’d come from a doomed world.

After that he really should have a fundamentally different character/personality.

I’ll freely admit I’ve only read a small proportion of available mainstream Superman material (but still read hundreds of his comics!), but really none of the stuff I’ve read really shows impact of realising Kryptons fate sensibly.

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn't say they HAVE to be around, but most of the time it's better to have more characters to play with than less characters and Superman could use more human and less Kryptonian characters in general.

The PAD Supergirl series had something I really wish we'd seen more of, the Kents coaching new parents of superheroes and helping them adapt to it. It was a great and logical way to use them.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Something about too much tragedy for the Kent's to not be around when Clark is 20-30 years old.
    So I wonder, who told the O.P. that the Kent's absolutely needed to be in Superman's adult life? It seems like this must have been someone in a position of authority.

Astonishing Member

I think it's dumb to kill them off just because Clark is an adult now. Do your parents just die because you don't need them anymore?

I don’t mind Pa Kent dying a la Superman the Movie. But the idea that both have to be dead seems odd to me. Like the point that started this is that they are alive and not being used. So how are they detracting from anything? They are available for cute little one off appearances. And no one has abused them for motivational speeches. Even then, as long as it’s not over done I have never mixed him looking to his parents for advice. I’m in my 40’s and will go to my father and father in law with some tough issues occasionally. I work it out for myself ultimately but getting advice or even just talking it over never hurts.

I guess my confusion is what does he gain from them being dead?