Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which Justice League writer did the best work with the largest roster?

Which Justice League (and all variations of the team's titles) writer did the absolute best job with the largest team roster at that time? Of course this is subjective to when the writer came on the series, how DC and the editorial staff wanted the roster to look, the current era and how popular characters were etc. But which writer was handed the series and was allowed to have a pretty robust size roster in the League, and knocked it outta the park? Not taking away anything from great writers who did a great job with smaller team rosters in the book, but it is certainly a mix of talent and luck to juggle a large JL roster in a series and make it great.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

What was the largest roster? Snyder's Justice Doom War since it includes versions from other dimensions?
    Would Justice League United count if they're only using small teams at a time or we count how they handle the whole run and every characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    What was the largest roster? Snyder's Justice Doom War since it includes versions from other dimensions?
    Would Justice League United count if they're only using small teams at a time or we count how they handle the whole run and every characters?
    I doesn't have to be the largest roster in history, this is your choice. "I think (blank) did the best job with the xxxx JL team which had xx members"

OR, you could say you think Johns did the best with the roster of only 7 from the New 52, your choice!

I'd say Morrison with his 12/13 members. Not everyone got tons of focus, but it's still one of the best JL runs ever.

Extraordinary Member

Of course, my favorite Justice League was Steve Englehart's 1 year time back in the late 1970s.

If you count the Phantom Stranger as a member (which Englehart did), with Hawkgirl added, he had a 14 member team.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I'd say Morrison with his 12/13 members. Not everyone got tons of focus, but it's still one of the best JL runs ever.
    My personal favorite here. Loved his pantheon take on the characters.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    I doesn't have to be the largest roster in history, this is your choice. "I think (blank) did the best job with the xxxx JL team which had xx members"

OR, you could say you think Johns did the best with the roster of only 7 from the New 52, your choice!
    Snyder then, for now
    I've only read the first part of Morrison's

Grant Morrison with his Justice League Pantheon?

Giffen and De Matteis with JLI and then Morrison with his JLA Pantheon concept.

I did really like Morrison's run.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Going back to when I started following them, Len Wein's run from the early 1970s.

Not only did Elongated Man and Red Tornado join the team then, let's not forget those annual JLA/JSA team-ups, starting with issues #100-102.

Dwayne McDuffie's "JLU."

Grant Morrison - His run was interesting and felt epic.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Dwayne McDuffie when he was the writer of Justice League of America featuring:

Superman
    Batman
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern(Hal)
    Green Lantern(John)
    Flash(Barry)
    Black Canary
    Red Tornado
    Zatanna
    Firestorm(Jamie)
    Vixen
    Black Lightning
    Red Arrow
    Dr. Light(Kimiyo)
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

1.) Giffen & DeMatteis

2.) Wein

3.) Morrison

I'd give Englehart and McDuffie honorable mentions.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES