Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metroid Dread

Default Metroid Dread

Yes, its real.

After all these years the game is coming

That looks awesome! Can’t wait to play it.

Ooooh, the gameplay looks interesting.

Pre-ordered this. Wish I could find the amiibos though.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Less than a month left

There's a lot more Metroidvanias around these days thanks to indie developers, which might make some of this feel overfamiliar, but it is still looking very nice.

I haven't played it yet, and may not for a little bit. I just got into the series with the Dread announcement, so I'm still working on playing through them (finished Zero Mission and working on Samus Returns). That said, I did watch some people playing it on Twitch last night, as I'm not overly concerned with spoilers.

The game looks absolutely gorgeous. The backgrounds and levels look amazing. Didn't expect that with a 2D game these days. Really surprised me.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

spoilers:
    This game brought back the X parasites. Major holy **** moment
    end of spoilers

Impressions so far - might be because I was really tired when I first played but early on I couldn't figure out how some of the switches you pull affect the level and just ended up running around a bit lost. Now I'm a good deal further in and having much less trouble figuring out where to go next by interrogating the map, so possibly I was just not looking at it right. Certainly it's a good thing that there are no hand-holding navigation arrows and objective markers.

The aiming mechanism is a good change and, at least early on, use of missiles is encouraged. Ability upgrades are doled out at a pretty generous pace and you can absolutely go back to the map to figure out where you should be access a new area through a shielded door. It doesn't feel incredibly open and free though, and I can't quite tell if you can take a branching paths to upgrades as in Super Metroid. Certainly some of the upgrades are held by bosses, which suggests that they must be collected in order.

The sneaking sections are ok. There's a quicktime event where you might get a chance to escape when caught, but the timing for it seems very strict - however, you only get sent back to the entrance to the area on death, so it's not a huge set-back ever.

So far it seems like a solid entry in the 2D series without some of the worst excesses of the series when it's tried to ape storytelling devices and mission structure from other games that Metroid just doesn't need.

finished my first playthrough, really good game, movement's the best a metroid game has ever been, like some of the new abilities but really wish the morph ball would either be basic equipment or one of the first upgrades at this point. Also I think the game pushes the Switch to the brink of what it's hardware can handle and a bit past that, noticed some slow down and janky sections while playing. Really happy to finally have a continuation from Metroid Fusion.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I can't stand it. It all feels so formalized, and the traversal abilities so limited compared to what we've been able to do in other metroid games. The freestyle sense of motion is utterly gone. They give you the morph ball so grudgingly late in the game after a bunch of movement power ups that are all basically limited to very specific uses. Wall jumps follow a controlled arc now, so you can't double back on them or do anything especially interesting. Everything is so busy and combat focused that it's hard to feel a sense of connection with the environment, and it's lacking the sense of design that makes you want to go back and explore. The counter mechanic is so incredibly forced, and I really have no idea what they're trying to accomplish with it aside from just putting it in because combat games have counter mechanics. Bosses are reduced to formula; "shoot this, turn switch, shoot weakpoint, repeat until a cutscene happens that steals all the gravitas from the actual gameplay of the fight." I guess that's nothing new, but the sponginess of these bosses really drags any fun out of it, and the cutscene bits remind me of how Xenosaga liked to just totally invalidate everything you did.

And the EMMIs, god, what a disappointment. You are now entering the designated pursuit horror area, marked out with yellow caution tape and warning signs. Please proceed directly to the next exit until you get the designated power up for a contrived, repetitive sequence where you kill the EMMI. There is no tension. If the Emmi catches you, you instantly die and restart the room. You always know exactly where it is, and you're either keeping ahead of it, or caught and reset. You can't meaningfully affect them, and you're told exactly what their abilities are constantly, so there's just... like I said, no tension. A brief cutscene of Samus struggling doesn't work as a standin for actually struggling. The SA-X worked because you didn't know when it would show up and you could fight with it a little bit and get hit a little bit. That gave you a reason to clench your sphincter. SR388 worked because you were alone in this cavernous environment with your footfalls echoing off the walls and no idea where more health or missiles could be, with maybe a metroid around any corner that you would have to fight in whatever state you were in when you found it. EMMI is just a pass/fail gate for your skill at traversal. She's just a missile door that takes longer to open. The Omega Beam is totally unsatisfying too, and free aiming with analog sticks sucks.

I'm close-ish to the end, I think, but I stopped playing because it's just so disappointing.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    I can't stand it. It all feels so formalized, and the traversal abilities so limited compared to what we've been able to do in other metroid games. The freestyle sense of motion is utterly gone. They give you the morph ball so grudgingly late in the game after a bunch of movement power ups that are all basically limited to very specific uses. Wall jumps follow a controlled arc now, so you can't double back on them or do anything especially interesting. Everything is so busy and combat focused that it's hard to feel a sense of connection with the environment, and it's lacking the sense of design that makes you want to go back and explore. The counter mechanic is so incredibly forced, and I really have no idea what they're trying to accomplish with it aside from just putting it in because combat games have counter mechanics. Bosses are reduced to formula; "shoot this, turn switch, shoot weakpoint, repeat until a cutscene happens that steals all the gravitas from the actual gameplay of the fight." I guess that's nothing new, but the sponginess of these bosses really drags any fun out of it, and the cutscene bits remind me of how Xenosaga liked to just totally invalidate everything you did.
    I don't understand what you mean about the freestyle sense of motion is gone. Dread is easily the best Metroid game in terms of controls and mobility for Samus. Everything is smooth, responsive and crisp. Wall jumps had an arc since Fusion. No Metroid game after Super had the wall jump function like it did in that game so it won't be exploitable and a pain in the ass to use. As for Dread specifically, change to morph ball during the arc to cancel out of it. You will get a Super like wall jump if you do. It's a bitch to do but you gotta work for those sequence breaks.

I disagree about the game not want you to go back and explore. The game always places teleportals where you can see them but can't reach to encourage exploration of the environment so backtracking would be less of a pain when you need to do it. Same of a lot of missile expansions and energy tanks. It wants to go back once you get the necessary upgrades to get them. As for the combat focus, when your not exploring you are fighting something. So I don't see what's wrong with that side of the game getting some TLC. The counter mechanic is not forced. It was carried over from Samus Returns and it works far better in this game as you can use it while running and you can use it on aggressive enemies as soon as they attack instead of having to wait for the shine.

Metroid bosses has always been formulaic. Why is this a problem now?

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    And the EMMIs, god, what a disappointment. You are now entering the designated pursuit horror area, marked out with yellow caution tape and warning signs. Please proceed directly to the next exit until you get the designated power up for a contrived, repetitive sequence where you kill the EMMI. There is no tension. If the Emmi catches you, you instantly die and restart the room. You always know exactly where it is, and you're either keeping ahead of it, or caught and reset. You can't meaningfully affect them, and you're told exactly what their abilities are constantly, so there's just... like I said, no tension. A brief cutscene of Samus struggling doesn't work as a standin for actually struggling. The SA-X worked because you didn't know when it would show up and you could fight with it a little bit and get hit a little bit. That gave you a reason to clench your sphincter. SR388 worked because you were alone in this cavernous environment with your footfalls echoing off the walls and no idea where more health or missiles could be, with maybe a metroid around any corner that you would have to fight in whatever state you were in when you found it. EMMI is just a pass/fail gate for your skill at traversal. She's just a missile door that takes longer to open. The Omega Beam is totally unsatisfying too, and free aiming with analog sticks sucks.

I'm close-ish to the end, I think, but I stopped playing because it's just so disappointing.
    SA-X only showed up during scripted sequences. You know exactly when it would show up. EMMIs are unpredictable in terms of where they show up in their designated area.

Kind of hate that in the final boss' first phase you have to wait for him to do a particular move to progress, and sometimes he just doesn't do it for ages. The best multi-phase boss fights out there are usually let you quickly move through the first phase once you've mastered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Kind of hate that in the final boss' first phase you have to wait for him to do a particular move to progress, and sometimes he just doesn't do it for ages. The best multi-phase boss fights out there are usually let you quickly move through the first phase once you've mastered it.
    You still can in phase one. If you shoot him enough for his shield to turn red he will do pink wave attack you need to morph ball to avoid. You can counter him immediately afterward. While his shield is red is will be more prone to taunt you which will bring up an other counter opportunity