View Poll Results: Should we get a explanation on how the x gene works ?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 20.00%
  • No

36 80.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Should we get a in depth explanation on how the x gene works ?

Should we get a issue were we get a in depth look in to how the x gene really works or keep it as a hand wave. Personally I'd love if they established what makes a omega different from a normal or what determines what powers will be developed.

You have a mutant gene. You get a random mutant power. Maybe multiple powers. Maybe no power at all and you just look funny.

Any explanation is going to be a lot of genetic bullshit.

I think the closest to an explanation was in Galacta when they said that all mutants are unconscious reality warpers. And that's like saying nothing.

BANNED

The problem with really specific explanations like "how the x-gene works" is that it can potentially limit options for writers down the road. And as much as people like to devour detailed information about things like that, for the writers it can be very burdensome. They already have to remember a lot as it is.

No, boring. I think we've already had decades worth of material to explain it away. It doesnt need to get any deeper than it already is. That would open the door to more contradictions and limitations. Its a random mutation among humans and in the case of mutants, less so when they reproduce

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Absolutely, unequivocally and vehemently...No.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Nah. Doesn't add anything; just boxes creators in.

The answer is a resounding NO.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Standish View Post
    The problem with really specific explanations like "how the x-gene works" is that it can potentially limit options for writers down the road. And as much as people like to devour detailed information about things like that, for the writers it can be very burdensome. They already have to remember a lot as it is.
    Writers ignore what they want and add what they're allowed to. I don't think this would change anything.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Should we get a issue were we get a in depth look in to how the x gene really works or keep it as a hand wave. Personally I'd love if they established what makes a omega different from a normal or what determines what powers will be developed.
    It would be cool to understand the genetics of mutants. They already started in Powers of X with the chimeras. They could go further, especially since they distinguish omegas, etc.

Since this is my wheelhouse I absolutely want it.

But then I realize writers will never be able to keep it consistent or accurate going forward.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Any explanation is going to be a lot of genetic bullshit.

I think the closest to an explanation was in Galacta when they said that all mutants are unconscious reality warpers. And that's like saying nothing.
    That's stupid

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Whatever the fictional science is, the only certainty is that writers will either break the rules, or engage in artful circumvention of them.

BANNED

I never liked the name "X-Gene".

By the way, this is how the 1996's Generation X TV movie introduced the mutants:

Mutation: n. 1. The act of being altered or changed. 2. The illegal genetic condition [US Statute 5504178], first apparent in puberty, caused by the X factor located in the pineal gland of the brain.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    I never liked the name "X-Gene".

By the way, this is how the 1996's Generation X TV movie introduced the mutants:
    I liked the older comics calling it an "X-factor" rather than an "X-gene" myself. Instead of being one random gene in mutants' DNA, it was more of a unique sequence or sequences in mutant DNA compared to "baseline" human DNA that gave them their powers. Made more sense to me.
    The spider is always on the hunt.