Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738 LastLast
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Wait can you explain your logic here? Not being rude/ snarky just want to understand your POV.
    Well since everyone blames the Avengers for not stepping in to fight every X-Men threat, if the "barrier world" doesn't actually stop alien attacks then that'd be the X-Mens fault, right?

It's mostly meant as snark at the Anti-Avengers-But-Angry-Avengers-Arent-Working-For-The-Xmen posters

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Yes. Why wouldn't it be.

If another Nation with the means to do so wanted to also go to Mars and try to claim a stake by making territory then they're welcome to try, but they should know that they'd have Martians to deal with.
    I wondered that too. Here's some googling:

https://now.northropgrumman.com/can-...rs-land-owner/

This seems like the relevant parts:

How Valid Is a Mars Land Deed?
    Like all real estate transactions, it comes down to the law. The foundational law for space was drafted 50 years ago, when space exploration was still in its infancy. In 1967, the United States, the then–Soviet Union and the United Kingdom wrote the “Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies.” Nicknamed the “Outer Space Treaty,” the document established guidelines to ensure equal and peaceful access to space. More than 100 nations signed it. It accounts for real estate in space, among other things. Article II of the Outer Space Treaty states, “Outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means.” In short, nobody can claim ownership of Mars or land on Mars, or do so with any other celestial body.

But the treaty was made to be modified as society advanced. In 2015, the United States Congress passed the Spurring Private Aerospace Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship Act of 2015, or SPACE Act, which allows U.S. citizens to “possess, own, transport, use and sell” materials extracted from celestial bodies, reported Nature. The new law accounts for the growing interest in mining asteroids, the moon or other celestial bodies for minerals or other resources. Private companies will be able to set up shop on Mars, mine it and lay claim to those resources, but won’t be able to own the land.

For those who really want a Mars land deed with their name on it, there’s nothing wrong with buying one. It’s a novelty item that might make a nice gift for the person who has everything. But it’s just for fun. The document won’t be recognized by any government authority as legitimate or legally binding.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jwyatt View Post
    I wondered that too. Here's some googling:

https://now.northropgrumman.com/can-...rs-land-owner/

This seems like the relevant parts:

How Valid Is a Mars Land Deed?
    Like all real estate transactions, it comes down to the law. The foundational law for space was drafted 50 years ago, when space exploration was still in its infancy. In 1967, the United States, the then–Soviet Union and the United Kingdom wrote the “Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies.” Nicknamed the “Outer Space Treaty,” the document established guidelines to ensure equal and peaceful access to space. More than 100 nations signed it. It accounts for real estate in space, among other things. Article II of the Outer Space Treaty states, “Outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means.” In short, nobody can claim ownership of Mars or land on Mars, or do so with any other celestial body.

But the treaty was made to be modified as society advanced. In 2015, the United States Congress passed the Spurring Private Aerospace Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship Act of 2015, or SPACE Act, which allows U.S. citizens to “possess, own, transport, use and sell” materials extracted from celestial bodies, reported Nature. The new law accounts for the growing interest in mining asteroids, the moon or other celestial bodies for minerals or other resources. Private companies will be able to set up shop on Mars, mine it and lay claim to those resources, but won’t be able to own the land.

For those who really want a Mars land deed with their name on it, there’s nothing wrong with buying one. It’s a novelty item that might make a nice gift for the person who has everything. But it’s just for fun. The document won’t be recognized by any government authority as legitimate or legally binding.
    What I got from this is that in marvel krakoa was not part of the treaty hence not subject to it. Hence can claim whatever celestial body as their own assuming they can keep the humans and others from taking it.

Worth noting that the Outer Space Treaty above would apply to Shi’ar and Kree territories too and as such is incredibly anthropometric. In reality the claiming of solar bodies would likely come down to the ability to hold and defend the land against challenge, both legal and military.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Well since everyone blames the Avengers for not stepping in to fight every X-Men threat, if the "barrier world" doesn't actually stop alien attacks then that'd be the X-Mens fault, right?

It's mostly meant as snark at the Anti-Avengers-But-Angry-Avengers-Arent-Working-For-The-Xmen posters
    I see. There’s definitely a vocal contingent of fans that feel that way, but it’s certainly not everyone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Oh I definitely don’t agree with that logic then. That’s like saying the Avengers said they would protect the Earth and then anytime a supervillain attack happens in another book it’s “their fault”.
    In fairness, the Avengers were outright called out on the Cotati invasion being their fault for siding with one of their own, again, over all evidence to the contrary

* and yes, backing Quoi just because he was Mantis’ son over Teddy (son of an honorary Avenger) is rather peak clannishness on the part of the Old School Avengers

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    If I remember beast stated that the animals on krakoa and they are native to krakoa all are extensions of the island and are brought forth from the island and that he finds hunting them babaric. If the island had a problem with omega red and wolverine hunting extensions of itself it would make that very clear again unlike humans and the earth krakoa has agency and say in the matters that regard well everything infact it can veto any decision and respecting it is most paramount in mutant society.
    Yeah, Krakoa would make it clear if he wasn't happy with something. He's basically cursed out the council before.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Yeah, Krakoa would make it clear if he wasn't happy with something. He's basically cursed out the council before.
    Krakoa only voiced his opposition because the other island was his sibling. He threatened to throw out all inhabitants. The animals are still individuals that still decide their own actions Krakoa probably doesn’t care about the animals since they still poses the ability to harm mutants.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    Krakoa only voiced his opposition because the other island was his sibling. He threatened to throw out all inhabitants. The animals are still individuals that still decide their own actions Krakoa probably doesn’t care about the animals since they still poses the ability to harm mutants.
    Can't say I blame him especially with Fluffy here.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Worth noting that the Outer Space Treaty above would apply to Shi’ar and Kree territories too and as such is incredibly anthropometric. In reality the claiming of solar bodies would likely come down to the ability to hold and defend the land against challenge, both legal and military.
    Exactly thank you. If you can defend and hold it, then it is yours.

There is so much debate going on in this thread that I can't speak on everything, but I for one like what the mutants are doing. The only grip I have would be the regent and capital of Sol announcement. Earth and now Arakko are not the only inhabited worlds in the Solar System. Marvel seems to forget that there's another Earth (either Franklin's or the High Evolutionary's, maybe even both) out there, as well as sentient beings on Uranus and the Eternals on Titan. I just hope Hickman and Ewing remember them by having diplomats from those worlds (moon) have a voice in Sol's defense.
    As for the issue, I want to see Cap's view on Orchis and if the larger hero community knows about the its facility on Mercury. I doubt we'll see it here but I would love to see the caviar on Namor's face after his smugness towards Xavier and Erik.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    There is so much debate going on in this thread that I can't speak on everything, but I for one like what the mutants are doing. The only grip I have would be the regent and capital of Sol announcement. Earth and now Arakko are not the only inhabited worlds in the Solar System. Marvel seems to forget that there's another Earth (either Franklin's or the High Evolutionary's, maybe even both) out there, as well as sentient beings on Uranus and the Eternals on Titan. I just hope Hickman and Ewing remember them by having diplomats from those worlds (moon) have a voice in Sol's defense.
    As for the issue, I want to see Cap's view on Orchis and if the larger hero community knows about the its facility on Mercury. I doubt we'll see it here but I would love to see the caviar on Namor's face after his smugness towards Xavier and Erik.
    That would be very good to know, and yeah, Namor having to eat crow, proverbially speaking, would be nice to see, though I could see him getting off one last jibe in the vein of, "Well-played, then."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    What I got from this is that in marvel krakoa was not part of the treaty hence not subject to it. Hence can claim whatever celestial body as their own assuming they can keep the humans and others from taking it.
    Well, that’s the problem, isn’t it? Ignoring existing conventions and treaties can result in things like war. There’s no real international laws without diplomacy and treaties. Ignore enough of them and the results are war. Declaring yourself rulers of everything in the solar system including Earth, and violating the UN Convention On Genocide — see Beast and Terra Verde for details — and the next steps could be shooting. Before everyone declares how powerful the mutants are and they can “flex” how they want, let’s remember morality and ethics. Murdering a nation unprovoked as Beast may have done is wrong. Also, non-mutant Earth has plenty of heavy hitters. One blast of Sol’s Anvil and that’s all she wrote for the Arakki. Krakoa? Genosha.

It’s because of things like this that I think Hickman is repeating his Secret Wars plot a bit. I think Hickman telegraphed it a long way back. I’m more and more convinced this will end with Moira XI and a reset on mutants in the MU, and maybe the MCU.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I've personally theorized that Moira XI is through the protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I've personally theorized that Moira XI is through the protocols.
    How would that work with her reality resets if they resurrect her? I am not saying your theory is wrong, I’m just trying to imagine how that would work.