Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blacula Reboot

Default Blacula Reboot

Blacula Reboot/Blacula2 Is In Development At MGM
    I don't really know anything about the original I thought it was a comedy just going by the title.

https://screenrant.com/blacula-reboo...t-mgm-details/

For a sec, I thought the title was "Blacula Robot" ... which could also be an interesting idea...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-18-2021 at 01:03 PM.

The original was about an African prince who, after trying to end the slave trade, pisses off Dracula, gets turned into a vampire, gets locked up for 200 years, is awakened by an interracial gay couple, and then conducts a bloody rampage within the seedy parts of Los Angeles.

Racist white people hated it, so it must have been doing something right.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 06-18-2021 at 02:15 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

They got some big shoes to fill casting wise. The original dude was on some shakespearian ****. Wonder what's next? Blackenstien?

BANNED

No, no. Say it’s not so

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    They got some big shoes to fill casting wise. The original dude was on some shakespearian ****. Wonder what's next? Blackenstien?
    That was William Marshall AKA The King of Cartoons from Pee Wee's Playhouse. He did a lot of Broadway and was at one point blacklisted by Hollywood.

While we did get Blackenstien-we almost got Black the Ripper. Sadly the guy who did Blackenstien and wrote that script was murdered at his home.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    No, no. Say it’s not so
    Why don't you want this?

Incredible Member

blacula was a black exploitation 70s movie.not sure that kind of movie will fly in today's climate.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That was William Marshall AKA The King of Cartoons from Pee Wee's Playhouse. He did a lot of Broadway and was at one point blacklisted by Hollywood.
    Before Blacula, he was Dr. Richard Daystrom from the original Star Trek second season episode, "The Ultimate Computer".

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

While we did get Blackenstien-we almost got Black the Ripper. Sadly the guy who did Blackenstien and wrote that script was murdered at his home.
    Damn...murdered? That's some true hollywood story ****. Props to Mr. Marshall he brought his A Game to any role.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

i feel like trying to recreate the cheesy/schlocky exploitation movies from decades ago doesnt usually turn out well

that said i guess capitalizing on the remake trend would make it a modern day exploitation movie so hopefully it works out

Well, no idea if the movie is going to be any good but the ocean of insane comments and videos it's going to spawn all over the net sure will be.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Blacula Reboot/Blacula2 Is In Development At MGM
    I don't really know anything about the original I thought it was a comedy just going by the title.

https://screenrant.com/blacula-reboo...t-mgm-details/
    I definitely recommend checking out the original - you're wrong about it being a comedy, it was a blaxplotation film but they played it straight and the actor really elevated the picture. Now whether a reboot can live up to it? Probably not, but you never know.

Marvel fans, he was also Juggernaut's voice (and Tony Stark) in separate episodes of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83WxHcDWGSE

Well... I'll get this comment out of the way.. This is going to potentially compete for space with MCU Blade, whenever that project gets going.

I hope that they get someone tall and imposing like Marshall. I'm not sold on the post-pandemic setting angle.

The original kind of glossed over what country/tribe Mamuwalde was from, where he was educated, and how he came to have an audience with Count Dracula in the effort to resist the slavery trade (and colonialism?).

Incredible Member

I saw both flicks, BLACULA and SCREAM, BLACULA, SCREAM awhile back when aired on Epix Drive-In. When the channel used to run more stuff along the B-Side of things,and had fun with it. I thought both movies were decent, and Marshall's performance as the title character was awesome as well. The only scene I thought was goofy, but actually was intended to be funny was a scene in the second film. Where Blacula was attending a party, of African art in search of a voodoo practitioner who he'd hope would lift his curse. He leaves said party, and out side turns into a bat ,and flies off. All witnessed by a party goer who had a little too much to drink, and was sobering up. After seeing Blacula depart, he's quiet for a beat, and says,"Shiiiiiiiiiiittttt."