View Poll Results: Which trio of elemental powers would you prefer?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fire, water, air.

    0 0%
  • Earth, water, air.

    0 0%
  • Fire, ice, lightning.

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,180

    Default Which trio of elemental powers would you prefer?

    1) Fire, water, air.
    2) Earth, water, air.
    3) Fire, ice, lightning.

  2. #2
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,211

    Default

    We don't do polls on Rumbles, so that's going to get modded I assume.

    For the question, I'd take the first: fire lets me cook my food, water gives me something to drink and clean with, air lets me breathe and is useful for blowing away smoke.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

  3. #3
    E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Munch, Capital of So Asbena
    Posts
    5,393

    Default

    3 IS the classic Final Fantasy Elements...
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

  4. #4
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    528

    Default

    The third trio is the most cool, but the first trio the most useful, at least in my opinion.

  5. #5
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    20,600

    Default

    #2 is probably the most useful for living.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

    Arxiros "Arx" Inosaan | Inanna

  6. #6
    Incredible Member Harbinger19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    KY, US
    Posts
    551

    Default

    I would agree with the Great Cthulhu that Earth water air would be most useful. Earth manipulation would give me options for drilling and construction that would be far more lucrative than fire IMO.

    Unless fire gives me the power of a sun in the palm of my hand, earth seems like the more solid choice for living a comfortable life in the modern world.

    Lightning depends on the level of control over electricity but I’m assuming we’re just kind of on the level of throwing these elements around.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

    "This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

    "I will kill, I will let live..."

    --Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

  7. #7
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    7,807

    Default

    flip a three sided coin.

    I don't see a meaningful difference in these choices.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  8. #8
    JUST DO IT?!?! Postmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    Water is essential to a lot of basic human needs, and fire also has some uses. Of the elements those are the ones I would end up using the most in day to day life (never be thirsty again). I don't really need ice, or lightning like that because I'm not some soldier or something. Earth isn't something I have use for since I don't spend time outside like that. So the first one is the easy win.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

  9. #9
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger19 View Post
    I would agree with the Great Cthulhu that Earth water air would be most useful. Earth manipulation would give me options for drilling and construction that would be far more lucrative than fire IMO.

    Unless fire gives me the power of a sun in the palm of my hand, earth seems like the more solid choice for living a comfortable life in the modern world.

    Lightning depends on the level of control over electricity but I’m assuming we’re just kind of on the level of throwing these elements around.
    Fire is after lightning the most direct energy source, which i would consider as more useful and lucrative than construction work, but Nik Hasta is probably right that there are no wrong choices with these trios.

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    The third trio is the most cool, but the first trio the most useful, at least in my opinion.
    I disagree. The fourth option is the most cool: Earth, Wind, and Fire:



    (Dance with me, fools. Dance like it's the 21st of September.)

  11. #11
    Incredible Member Harbinger19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    KY, US
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Fire is after lightning the most direct energy source, which i would consider as more useful and lucrative than construction work, but Nik Hasta is probably right that there are no wrong choices with these trios.
    This is why I qualified it by mentioning the scale.

    If for instance we’re on the level of say, benders from Avatar you’re not going to be powering much of anything with fire/lightning when compared with say a large power plant or even a large petroleum-fueled combustion engine.

    Earth on the other hand even at that low scale seems far more lucrative.

    If I was a cave man, yeah fire all the way. In the modern world?

    Still see earth as the best bet.

    The other issue is that throwing fire and lightning around is inherently more flashy and liable to attract unwanted attention.

    I’d rather not be dissected for my elemental powers and like that earth water and air would let you stay unnoticed more easily.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

    "This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

    "I will kill, I will let live..."

    --Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

  12. #12
    ˜”*°•🅱️𝓤𝓢𝓢𝓘𝓝•°*”˜ The Gold Stream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    300

    Default

    can we turn into the element? id take lightning so i can teleport like raiden from MK or kessler from infamous

  13. #13
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger19 View Post
    This is why I qualified it by mentioning the scale.

    If for instance we’re on the level of say, benders from Avatar you’re not going to be powering much of anything with fire/lightning when compared with say a large power plant or even a large petroleum-fueled combustion engine.

    Earth on the other hand even at that low scale seems far more lucrative.

    If I was a cave man, yeah fire all the way. In the modern world?

    Still see earth as the best bet.

    Even benders from Avatar have very big differences in the levels they are operating on, Jeong Jeong and Azula are potent energy sources far outside of the energy levels cave men could ever use and run of the mill fire soldiers are not so much, but at the same time are run of the mill earth soldiers also far less useful than Bumi and Toph.

    The other issue is that throwing fire and lightning around is inherently more flashy and liable to attract unwanted attention.

    I’d rather not be dissected for my elemental powers and like that earth water and air would let you stay unnoticed more easily.
    How are you using earth and water manipulation in a meaninful way, while staying unnoticed?
    Last edited by Rightoya; 06-18-2021 at 08:28 PM.

  14. #14
    Incredible Member Harbinger19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    KY, US
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    How are you using earth and water manipulation in a meaningful way, while staying unnoticed?
    Drilling/mining in remote areas is one idea. Just pick a mountain and start digging for diamonds/other gems/natural gas/whatever. And I didn’t mean to say totally unnoticed, I meant more unnoticed, relatively speaking. Sorry if unclear.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

    "This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

    "I will kill, I will let live..."

    --Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

  15. #15
    JUST DO IT?!?! Postmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    Technically you could be unnoticed with any of these powersets if you're restrained.

    Like with Fire Water Air, I don't need to throw fireballs around. I don't have anyone to be fighting. Just oh look, there's a small blaze there. Well it's going to keep me warm. Actual arsonists have gotten away with flashier starters.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •