Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post Are youtubers really a comic-book fans?

After seeing so many videos about the big two, there seem a lot of buzz how "MANGA destroy western comics", "Manga outsellings the sales chart" or "DC and Marvel are dying while Manga are rising" make me wonder they are all use to be a comic book fans with one of these big two.

For example:
    • They said they use to support the run or buy their trades all the time back then, until when Marvel start pandering some propoganda or political stuff, they stop buying some books.
    • Based on the news they receive from the internet, many source said Manga have outsells the comics industry for years.
    • It seem that the big two keep shoving SJW/Woke, it make them they start spearding these truths to other people so that they could stop buying any product from the industry.
    • They clearly answer the question very similar "Why do DC and Marvel didn't listen 80% actual fans and instead go and listen the 5% twitter minority when they knew they won't buy the comics at all". Hearing this is complete ashame and embarassing given the current state.

While I can fully agree their opinion, but it clearly show how awful today western comics as compared to literature and manga when it come to story-wise, art-styles, character personality and fans demand. It's no surprise that many people are moving to manga and ditching Marvel and DC.
    Last edited by LAWtoyoto 432; 06-18-2021 at 03:19 AM.

Ultimate Member

If they were real comic book fans-they could make an argument without the following.

They said they use to support the run or buy their trades all the time back then, until when Marvel start pandering some propoganda or political stuff, they stop buying some books.
    Then why can't they provide actual examples when asked? Not here say but actually pages.

It seem that the big two keep shoving SJW/Woke, it make them they start spearding these truths to other people so that they could stop buying any product from the industry.
    Marvel and DC does not speak for nor represent every comic book company.
    I bought 30 comics yesterday. Only 5 were DC & Marvel. Everyone else was indy.

They are not spreading truth. They are pandering to an echo chamber.

Based on the news they receive from the internet, many source said Manga have outsells the comics industry for years.
    Manga-yes it does outsell comics because I don't have to go to a comic book store to buy one. I can go to Wal-Mart, Target and other places for them.
    ACCESS (and price) give Manga the advantage.

They clearly answer the question very similar "Why do DC and Marvel didn't listen 80% actual fans and instead go and listen the 5% twitter minority when they knew they won't buy the comics at all". Hearing this is complete ashame and embarassing given the current state
    As for 80%- the same claim of that 5% won't buy the comic at all APPLIES to the 80% as well.

How many of the 80% YELLED for a book? Yet did the greatest gymnastic routines to NOT support those books?

How many of the 80% yelled at folks about not buying a book but have no issues NOT supporting a book because they don't like the creators or story?

How many of the 80% have HATE bought a badly done book because of who was on the cover. I HEAR how bad Heroes in Crisis, various X-men events and others?

Have the 80% visited a comic book store and see all the UNSOLD copies of Batman and X-Men?

Ultimate Member

Skyvolt pretty much nailed it.

Manga and American superhero comics don’t have identical distribution. Manga is sold in channels where superhero comics are not. And most importantly, the entire comic industry isn’t Marvel and DC. These guys complain about Marvel and DC pandering but I’m seeing Boom studios sell massive numbers of minority led titles like Eve. It’s not so much that Marvel and DC are pandering as much as they are trying to reach a growing audience that’s kind of untapped.

The YouTubers covering comics are largely pandering to the anti-SJW crowd. From what I’ve read, large numbers of the anti- SJW crowd are NOT comic fans, that’s why they are buying into the false narratives the youtubers are selling. Sadly, we live in the age of misinformation and lots of people have bought into the dreck the youtubers are selling.

And for the record Marvel and DC aren’t dying. With both companies more or less partially by-passing Diamond distribution, there’s a possibility both companies are selling more books than before. If Marvel’s partnership with Penguin pans out, they could have access to areas they didn’t have before.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-18-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Some probably are, some probably aren't. A good majority seem to just drum up stuff for drama for clicks.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Some comic pros are starting to sound like them. Eric Larsen ( of all people) out here saying "These companies are floundering and failing. The threat from upstairs is that they'll go to all reprints and stop producing new material. They're doing everything they can to stay alive. If you can't afford it--do without."

Marvel has Disney money Eric.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Some probably are, some probably aren't. A good majority seem to just drum up stuff for drama for clicks.
    This.

Some are fans and some are not but most of them do not understand the industry.

For example a lot of them claims that LGBT inclusion have hurt the Big Two and these characters don't sell but will never tell their auidence that several LGBT focus Manga have also outsold comics.

The same thing can also be said for graphic novels with BIPOC characters.

Marvel and DC are not investing to diverse characters because they are woke but because there is money to be made from those demographics.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 06-18-2021 at 05:31 PM.

I mean, it depends on the youtuber, I'd think. They are not a monolith, for every one that's all doom and gloom another will be positive and have clear love and optimism for the medium. The videos i see tend to be positive just because of who i am subscribed to. I tend to prefer positive takes rather than negative ones, (that doesn't mean I like everything, i just don't like to focus on the negative.) and I really don't have time for the anti-SJW crowd. Who are, it should be noted projecting pretty hard, they WANT the companies to fail, as long as they are producing content they dislike, so they are looking for straws to grasp at that pushes that narrative.

Also, this manga is doing way better thing is not new, it is not the result of the American companies losing readers. Manga has been outselling western comics since at least when I got into comics and started paying attention to things, over 20 years ago. It's just a different culture and publishing model, and is not something that can really be repeated in North America, because it will take a culture shift more than changing the content or distribution model. Adapting some ideas from Manga may help in some cases, but, the publishers have tried doing that several times over the years, it hasn't had a lot of effect.
    Last edited by Raye; 06-18-2021 at 01:28 PM.

Most of the dudes spreading those types of claims online are just alt-right types looking to garner outrage. If it's not this it's whatever Star Wars or the new He-Man is supposedly doing to further the insidious feminist agenda.

Extraordinary Member

This post is obviously about people who don't get to talk about that stuff here, so any replies will be one-sided. However,

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I mean, it depends on the youtuber, I'd think. They are not a monolith...
    This. There are as many You Tube channels that don't talk about any of this stuff. If someone is seeing this due to the You Tube algorithm, it is because that person is probably watching stuff that overlaps with those interests, and so You Tube just pops up a bunch of videos with the same theme.

Also, and this is not related to the narrow focus of the OP, but a lot of You Tube channels essentially copycat themselves. Partly because they all want to get in on whatever is the hot topic and partly because they can't come up with actual ideas but if they talk about something someone else is they will get suggested due to the algorithm.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    This post is obviously about people who don't get to talk about that stuff here, so any replies will be one-sided. However,

This. There are as many You Tube channels that don't talk about any of this stuff. If someone is seeing this due to the You Tube algorithm, it is because that person is probably watching stuff that overlaps with those interests, and so You Tube just pops up a bunch of videos with the same theme.

Also, and this is not related to the narrow focus of the OP, but a lot of You Tube channels essentially copycat themselves. Partly because they all want to get in on whatever is the hot topic and partly because they can't come up with actual ideas but if they talk about something someone else is they will get suggested due to the algorithm.
    Good point about YouTube's algorithms being the real problem, as there have been a lot of articles documenting how those algorithms can end up luring the unwary towards content that foments more politically driven extremism, which can have serious ramifications in the real world. In light of how mainstream superhero comics have ended up yet another front in the so-called "culture wars" . . . I'd say the issue boils down to how the desire for greater engagement with the platform does incentivize heightened emotional intensity that can then be parlayed into one form of extremism or another, some more dangerously virulent than others.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Most of the dudes spreading those types of claims online are just alt-right types looking to garner outrage. If it's not this it's whatever Star Wars or the new He-Man is supposedly doing to further the insidious feminist agenda.
    Agree with this. All these alt right people do is bitch and whine about diversity in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    This. Some are fans and some are not but most of them do not understand the industry.

For example a lot of them claims that LGBT inclusion have hurt the Big Two and these characters don't sell but will never tell their auidence that several LGBT focus Manga have also outsold comics.
    Could be because the audience already know that Manga has entire genres dedicated to just that and the only thing they are concerned about are the action comics such as Demon Slayer, My Hero, Jujutsu Kaisen etc, you know the action books they view as superhero comics direct competition? You also didn't try to dispute that the characters at the Big Two didn't sell well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    The same thing can also be said for graphic novels with BIPOC characters.

Marvel and DC are not investing to diverse characters because they are woke but because there is money to be made from those demographics.
    You might have a case of "Right idea wrong genre" Unfortunately the Big Two only have one genre they care about. By trying awkwardly to combine them into the superhero line all the company does is annoy fans who have been following a character (Iceman, Hercules) forever who were actually privy to their thought balloons. Then when the change doesn't go over well lash out at the audience while burying the character.

It also doesn't help matters when the fans of these YouTubers look across the street and see Manga (The kind they equate with superhero comics) being much more...male gazey. No one asking for more diverse body types. A lack of giant crossovers of people going to a fancy dinner,etc.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I can answer this!!!

I'm an associate producer for a fairly well-known comic news YouTuber. I've worked with him for three years and I can tell you a few things about the host.

(1) He was a huge comic book fan before he started
    (2) He has read a ton of comics
    (3) He reads less comics now than he used to
    (4) He wishes he had the time to read more than he does

The truth is: once a channel expands to a point where they have a staff, it has already gone beyond the point where the host has much time for reading everything on his own. We've had a big staff for a while. It's just impossible for one YouTuber to do it all: stay abreast of upcoming publications, read everything, catch up on back issues, manage the team, host the show, and have a life. The only time he has to read is on his own time because hosting the channel is what he spends all his time doing.

For every type of content things go like this: during our production meetings we share ideas and run them past the boss. After he approves, we create written aids for him which he studies and makes use of as recording takes place. Again, this is true for the videos that feature content he is familiar with as well as that which is he unfamiliar. Often what you hear him saying in front of the camera is a combination of his own ideas and our ideas put into his own words. He always tries to familiarize himself with the material but only up to a point.

However, a lot of the content he creates has to do with with titles and even publishers that he has no personal interest whatsoever and he knows almost nothing about. That is where he relies on us (the producers) to do all of the reading and preparation. Unfortunately, many of us have no personal interest in the material either but we do it, and yes, it is hard to be enthusiastic about material you are not interested in, but our audience metrics dictate we go forward. In these cases, almost everything you are seeing are not the YouTuber's ideas. They are our ideas, which we painstakingly devised and created aids for the YouTuber to study. He doesn't read the comics though.
    Hope that gives you some insight.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

i think so i see a good amount of variantcomics, comicstorian and new sage. not sure how well theyd do in a trivia contest but they seem to be interested in their subjects

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    i think so i see a good amount of variantcomics, comicstorian and new sage. not sure how well theyd do in a trivia contest but they seem to be interested in their subjects
    I have some familiarity with the above. I won’t name names but would like to add that based on my experience, how accurately a YouTuber pronounces characters names (or to put it another way how often they pronounce the same characters names wrong over and over and over again) in their videos is a fairly predictive indicator of their genuine enthusiasm for that character and the content in question.