Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired

Does being a comic book fan mean that you have an understanding of the industry of comic book properties and the commercial viability of concepts? I guess if you have a youtube channel that might be the news that gets attention--so then you have to talk about that.

To me, what I love is the comic book as an artform and how that artform developed over history. There are a few youtubers I come across who have a depth of knowledge in that area, but by and large most youtubers don't know much about comic books. They might have discrete knowledge of some characters and runs--but if they have to go deeper into how comic books developed, the wide range of genres and the creative people that produced them, they end up saying things that are ignorant (and could have easily been fact checked on their phones).

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Some probably are, some probably aren't. A good majority seem to just drum up stuff for drama for clicks.
    I have no idea about the percentages, but I definitely agree that some of them love comics and others have a different rationale for what they do.

Ed Piskor and Jim Rugg are very clearly fans of the material they discuss. They do also make comics, so that may put them in a different category.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU0...2wK-PmjASkK2Rg

The Near Mint Condition account is definitely run by someone who likes the comics he talks about, often with omnibus reviews and best of lists.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUX...zQaKJKBaqzuNdg

Another Youtuber recommended by my algorithm runs a store, and sometimes talks about best material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAxElTG1UFI

A different youtuber talks about back issues that are in-demand. It reminds me a lot of Wizard magazine discussions.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqR...R4PErfe_jOqHMA

These people all seem to love comics.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    After seeing so many videos about the big two, there seem a lot of buzz how "MANGA destroy western comics", "Manga outsellings the sales chart" or "DC and Marvel are dying while Manga are rising" make me wonder they are all use to be a comic book fans with one of these big two.

For example:
    • They said they use to support the run or buy their trades all the time back then, until when Marvel start pandering some propoganda or political stuff, they stop buying some books.
    • Based on the news they receive from the internet, many source said Manga have outsells the comics industry for years.
    • It seem that the big two keep shoving SJW/Woke, it make them they start spearding these truths to other people so that they could stop buying any product from the industry.
    • They clearly answer the question very similar "Why do DC and Marvel didn't listen 80% actual fans and instead go and listen the 5% twitter minority when they knew they won't buy the comics at all". Hearing this is complete ashame and embarassing given the current state.

While I can fully agree their opinion, but it clearly show how awful today western comics as compared to literature and manga when it come to story-wise, art-styles, character personality and fans demand. It's no surprise that many people are moving to manga and ditching Marvel and DC.
    All I can say on this is that I've heard this stuff about Marvel or DC becoming "Woke" here and there on youtube. Then, I look at one of the comics in question and the only thing I can conclude is that what they mean by "Woke" and SJW is the inclusion of any new female or non-white character or the acknowledgement that sexism and racism even exist, at all- period.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 06-19-2021 at 06:12 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

While I think WM can be entertaining I really don't think they are a fan of the comics though they may have seen the films and the cartoons.

Here is a channel of obvious non comic readers as these are mostly characters from films tv/cartoons or are at least rumored to be next up to star in films/tv.

ETA: I can't remember the guy that seemed the most legit, lol. And I know he has been mentioned on here as well. Just chalk it up to getting older.

I think it's tricky to use a single label like youtuber and make generalisations based on that, especially since it's tricky to define what constitutes a youtuber at all. But I do think it's possible to look at some of the trends and incentives over at Youtube. Chief of which is the incitament to provide lots of content on a regular basis, preferably daily.

I read TiaraPenny's post earlier with lots of interest, because it provides one strategy to accomplish that: having a staff who not only helps you in producing scripts and videos, but perhaps even takes the lead in producing scripts and videos. That arguably goes against what made Youtube popular in the first place, in that it was the place to get a single individual's personal take on a concept.

Here I probably should mention Lindsay Ellis's video essay YouTube: Manufacturing Authenticity (For Fun and Profit!)

Are there comic book fans over on Youtube? Certainly. Are there knowledgable comic book fans there? Yes, some, though one should probably make a distinction between different ways of being knowledgable. But sadly a lot of Youtube today has become dominated by what I dub performative complaints or performative outrage.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

They're not fans of comics. They're fans of complaining about comics.

I've been in the fandom for over 50 years. In those days I was told by a longtime fan that the "Golden Age" ended in 1942. But, I think that was his golden age. There have always been people complaining. The problem is when the negative vibes from these folks interferes with your enjoyment of the books. I try to make a point of ignoring them.

BANNED

Youtubers are youtube fans, nothing more.

I am reminded of a college sermon I heard that New Age music was from the devil, and no one wanted to hear that that the latest music is always accused of being from the devil. Bach, Bethoven, Mozart, ragtime,swing, jazz, rock n roll, have all been accused of being from the devil. It's an argument as old as music.

YouTube comic critics (and much of my own comic criticisms) are just variations variations of a theme as old as time. "What can I say to get attention?"

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    While I think WM can be entertaining I really don't think they are a fan of the comics though they may have seen the films and the cartoons.

Here is a channel of obvious non comic readers as these are mostly characters from films tv/cartoons or are at least rumored to be next up to star in films/tv.

ETA: I can't remember the guy that seemed the most legit, lol. And I know he has been mentioned on here as well. Just chalk it up to getting older.
    That seems to be more algorithm driven than anything else. It doesn't require independent commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post

I am reminded of a college sermon I heard that New Age music was from the devil, and no one wanted to hear that that the latest music is always accused of being from the devil. Bach, Bethoven, Mozart, ragtime,swing, jazz, rock n roll, have all been accused of being from the devil. It's an argument as old as music.

YouTube comic critics (and much of my own comic criticisms) are just variations variations of a theme as old as time. "What can I say to get attention?"
    This is true of some youtubers who talk about comics, but not all of them.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Yeah, I've been reading comics for over 50 years. I've caught myself being negative an new comics and people have caught me doing it as well. Very good post!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    Yeah, I've been reading comics for over 50 years. I've caught myself being negative an new comics and people have caught me doing it as well. Very good post!!!
    Once you begin disliking current comics, tv shows or music, it just means that your generation has aged.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Once you begin disliking current comics, tv shows or music, it just means that your generation has aged.
    Oh I don't know. I disliked Claremont's X-Men from the start, and I was in my teens

That is true for some, but it represents a very simplistic understanding of YouTubing as a medium for comics journalism. It plays off the trope of the term YouTuber conjuring a mental image of one individual working out of home producing all content single-handedly from start to finish and whose popularity is fueled significantly through cult of personality rather than quality. This depicts how a number of YouTuber critic start their operation but not how successful ones evolve. You describe what my team calls “low-rent” YouTubers who have failed to produce quality content over time and have elected the way of gossiping and grifting. These individuals do exist, no question, and they give everyone a bad name, but they do not represent the YouTubers who truly wish to be their better selves. And they do exist.

Many established, successful YouTubers who do comics journalism -- certainly the one who I produce for but I know a few others – are dedicated to producing quality content that is accurate, well-researched, and honest while also appealing to a wide audience. I know personally that my boss will never publish content that he does not feel proud to attach to his name on. The short term financial gain from bad content does not pay off in the long run. It would undermine the time and investment that we put into production: for some content it is literally hours of reading, researching, and verifying detailed information about characters and events from publications dating back to the 1970s, where everyone had a million thought bubbles coming out of their heads “noticing” some obscure factoid about another characters powers (this isn’t done in comics these days by the way) and which fans use as modern day measuring sticks in their match-up contest scenarios. Picture any time Kurt Wagner in the 1970s-80s started a thought bubble with Mein Gott! and you know the observation statements I am talking about.

There are more examples.. relating to timelines, etc. but the bottom line is every detail is expected to be reported faithfully… and we make sure we do. We have learned every inaccuracy has consequences: any slight factual mistake from the creator’s mouth in a finalized video (the wrong year, the wrong number Earth, anything) is embarrassing and will be referenced years later by viewers as “proof” that the creator must never have read anything from that decade. In that vein, our boss relies on us to manage his online presence across social media, so he is conscientious of the fact that not only is his reputation as a YouTuber affected by flubbing the information, but so is ours (the team) on a professional level. Nearly all of us work part time in other multimedia-related disciplines as well.

Anyway, the point I am making is that don’t let the bad content creators taint your picture of the good ones.
    Last edited by TiaraPenny; 06-21-2021 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    I've been in the fandom for over 50 years. In those days I was told by a longtime fan that the "Golden Age" ended in 1942. But, I think that was his golden age. There have always been people complaining. The problem is when the negative vibes from these folks interferes with your enjoyment of the books. I try to make a point of ignoring them.
    Hmm, I can kind of sort of see that argument in the sense that comics did not go from dead on serious noire to campy comedy instantly. There was a transition period. So maybe he feels the Golden Age was over the moment the transition started.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    True… to some extent. Sincerely… lot of stuff is just bad. It’s not that everything was good before but authors were freer before and were doing something more personal.

I think “Golden Age” is where and when you can find creativity and enjoyment in reading comics.

The last comic I read was a wonderful comic that got a well-deserved prize and a great deal of success… a perfect Indie comic. The authors clearly made this object with all their heart.

A lot of comics have become formulaic and pure marketing products, devoided of the needed sincerity that is necessary in a artistic approach. And they are objectively full of defects when you were used to great stuff made by consummate professionals. Hard to not criticize them…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe