Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Spec had probably my least favorite milestone issue of all time, but that was probably because it was hyped up more than it should have been.

His DD is great. Not sure how that would translate to ASM.
    Yeah his DD is amazing I'm unsure if that run will end in time to take over for Spencer. And the spider man he writes is a pretty serious one mainly cause the book itself is serious. I wouldn't mind Zdarksy to take over. Loved his life story honestly if he can do that to the main storyline I be set.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Yeah his DD is amazing I'm unsure if that run will end in time to take over for Spencer. And the spider man he writes is a pretty serious one mainly cause the book itself is serious. I wouldn't mind Zdarksy to take over. Loved his life story honestly if he can do that to the main storyline I be set.
    He has plans till 50 in a recent interview.I think he may do both.
    I don't want Mackay at all.
    I really hope it's a serious Spidey. Even in DD he quips so its not him being humourless.

I was really enjoying this run.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Getting more issues is bad?
    I understand if you don't like the content of them but what does that have to do with pacing?
    Also everyone has been complaining that his run is too slow.
    when rapid shipping affects the quality of the book, yes getting more issues is bad, the art is comically inconsistent, they lost ryan ottley, an artist so perfect for asm it didn't feel real, and the entire structure of the run and its arcs is horrendous and rigid to get more issues out and hit nonsensical milestones
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    when rapid shipping affects the quality of the book, yes getting more issues is bad, the art is comically inconsistent, they lost ryan ottley, an artist so perfect for asm it didn't feel real, and the entire structure of the run and its arcs is horrendous and rigid to get more issues out and hit nonsensical milestones
    I wonder if Ottley and Ramos will contribute to the final issue.

Extraordinary Member

I wonder if Ottley and Ramos will contribute to the final issue.
    I think it states they will.Or one of them at least.
    Edit:Nope.Maybe they are in the others but i doubt it
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 06-18-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

The writing is fine imo.I agree about the art.
    Also didn't Ryan say he lost interest.
    The structure is not as bad.This is exageratting

I think overall Spencer's run could be solid, if uneven, and the art got kind of progressively inconsistent as it went along and plots maybe didn't develop as well as they did.

It was also a run that read way better in trade.

Extraordinary Member

I think overall Spencer's run could be solid, if uneven, and the art got kind of progressively inconsistent as it went along and plots maybe didn't develop as well as they did.

It was also a run that read way better in trade.
    All this.
    And the fact that this entire run will depend on the ending.
    If he lands the ending it will be a good run going to great but if he messes it it will terrible.

Ottley probably lost interest because they had him doing literally nothing of note, so he was unable to feel any ownership of the title. His last full arc was a good Gog thing, but also a Gog thing.

When the structure of the run is that every arc needs to be 3 issues, it will eventually become very clear that most arcs shouldn't be 3 issues. Stories were constantly getting dragged out to meet that quota, and EXTRA issues outside of the main numbering had to be made because 3 issues weren't enough. I don't know how to get across how terrible that is. I'll be lenient on Spencer and say it's editorial's fault because this hasn't happened with a Spencer book before, but plotting each arc with these rigid issue numbers to hit milestone issues precisely and bending and stretching the stories to fit that so you can get more money out of people is bad. And terrible planning. Even if somehow it was Spencer's idea to **** people's wallets over, good editors would've stopped it. So it was probably editorial's fault that Spencer's good ideas barely ever got to be executed well and it's absolutely their fault every artist got screwed over.

Astonishing Member

Ottley probably lost interest because they had him doing literally nothing of note, so he was unable to feel any ownership of the title. His last full arc was a good Gog thing, but also a Gog thing.

When the structure of the run is that every arc needs to be 3 issues, it will eventually become very clear that most arcs shouldn't be 3 issues. Stories were constantly getting dragged out to meet that quota, and EXTRA issues outside of the main numbering had to be made because 3 issues weren't enough. I don't know how to get across how terrible that is. I'll be lenient on Spencer and say it's editorial's fault because this hasn't happened with a Spencer book before, but plotting each arc with these rigid issue numbers to hit milestone issues precisely and bending and stretching the stories to fit that so you can get more money out of people is bad. And terrible planning. Even if somehow it was Spencer's idea to **** people's wallets over, good editors would've stopped it. So it was probably editorial's fault that Spencer's good ideas barely ever got to be executed well and it's absolutely their fault every artist got screwed over.
    Here is my problem: Nick Spencer said “I know the beginning, middle and end.” I would also note the fact that Editorial let him write Hydra Cap ( despite knowing it would be controversial). I think that instead of finishing off Kindred two years ago, Spencer basically “Bit off more than he can chew” and kept adding layers and layers to the story until you get sick of it. Can he give us a good ending by doing away with OMD without killing MJ? Yes. If he decides to go the Christmas Carol, It’s A Wonderful Life or Butterfly Effect route. But if he teases and does not deliver ( think Strange and Mephisto panel) like say Slott did with Jackpot instead of MJ then the run has to be considered the most disappointing ( although not the worst) in Peter’s history.

Question

I had high hopes for this run when I was tempted back by the Kindred buildup. Overall, thus far, it has been average or 2.5 out of 5 stars for me (nothing bad nothing great either, solid). Great, if not phenomenal, buildup with lackluster payoffs, IMO. I hope Spencer gets a chance to address Kindred that they don't leave the plot thread of "Peter's greatest sin he doesn't remember" dangling. If they do leave it out there, I freely admit, I'll be disappointed. *crosses fingers*

Edit - On the upside (hopefully) no more prominent "buddy" Boomerang. *yay*
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-18-2021 at 01:27 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

asm fans, please join me when spencer relaunches morning glories so we can see the master at work again

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Is this promotional artwork for the nest run.
    No, like I said, it's for Dark Ages. Someone mentioned Taylor having an announcement coming, and that was it, so it wasn't ASM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    No, like I said, it's for Dark Ages. Someone mentioned Taylor having an announcement coming, and that was it, so it wasn't ASM.
    Oh okay.I checked it up.
    Let's hope it's good