Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Which is a shame. I personally think an Marvel Fanfare or Marvel Spotlight type series for unappreciated characters would do well.
    Totally forgot about Fanfare! That had awesome covers. It is a shame. Presents allowed obscure characters to get love every now and then while also being a testing ground for writers and artists.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I feel like that's a distinct possibility. He was a guest on the Amazing Spider-Talk podcast this year and the episode dropped the day his Marvel return was announced and on the show he said they might be talking to him again soon. At the time I assumed it just had to do with the Marvel return leaving him more in that toolbox again, but with the confirmation of Spencer's run ending and Romita Jr having been at work on Marvel stuff the last few months... it could line up. I think he was only penciling 1 Fantastic Four issue, the 60th anniversary one.
    He'll definitely contribute to #900.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    I take issue with the idea that the accelerated publication has anything to do with "Marvel letting Spencer complete his story." Marvel is publishing more Spider-Man comics per month because publishing more Spider-Man comics per month makes them more money. There's no reason to rush out Spider-Man comics just to be done with Spencer. if they're really unhappy with his work (and he's leaving the company), they would fire him. They are under no obligation to let him finish his story if they don't like it. And they are under no obligation to get all the scripts they've approved from him published before he starts his new gig. If they really preferred publishing one or two issues of Amazing per month, that's how many issues they would be publishing. (Grant Morrison was well ahead on his New X-Men scripts when he decided to sign an exclusive with DC; his New X-Men issues kept coming out for 7-8 months after he left Marvel.)

Marvel has long had a practice of crowding the shelves--it's part of how they've maintained their dominance in the direct market. Amazing Spider-Man is one of their top selling books, and one of the top selling books in the DM, so putting it out more frequently means retailers have less money to order books from other companies. That's 100% the reason why we're getting so many Spider-Man and Spider-Man-related books this summer.
    He must have a date he will start his new job and therefore not be available anymore to write or edit scripts and dialogues, and if he wants the story completed he needs to it before that time; dialogues are added after the story starts to be drawn and there are always changes to account for; Marvel may like to crowd shelves, but in this case they are running more than one storyline that would have normally occurred on the ongoing at the same time, and it feels more like a way to solve several unfinished storylines faster than it was planned.

Astonishing Member

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1406619723530485766
    If someone is afraid that Slott will return, you can relax now.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    He must have a date he will start his new job and therefore not be available anymore to write or edit scripts and dialogues, and if he wants the story completed he needs to it before that time; dialogues are added after the story starts to be drawn and there are always changes to account for; Marvel may like to crowd shelves, but in this case they are running more than one storyline that would have normally occurred on the ongoing at the same time, and it feels more like a way to solve several unfinished storylines faster than it was planned.
    This all works backwards from the premise that Nick Spencer is the boss. He is not. His future plans for employment do not dictate Marvel's publishing schedule. Marvel is not rushing out Spider-Man comics to meet Nick Spencer's timetable. If anything, Nick Spencer is rushing out scripts to meet Marvel's timetable. (The fact that Ed Brisson has jumped on as co-scripter for a few issues suggests that Spencer is falling behind.) There are so many Spider-Man comics coming out over the rest of the summer because Marvel wants to publish that many Spider-Man comics this summer. If Nick Spencer didn't want to write them, they would either find someone who would, or would hire another creative team and publish them as .1 issues. Beyond all that, these comics have been solicited for months in advance. Editors needed to go through the approval process of scripts, hire artists and colorists to produce the art, all while working within a budget and a schedule set from higher up the publishing chain. You guys have the power structure completely backwards. In fact, it's much more likely that Marvel's decision to accelerate the publishing schedule led to Spencer taking the gig elsewhere than it is that Nick Spencer taking a gig elsewhere led to Marvel accelerating the publishing schedule.

(Also, while not knowing the specifics of how Spencer is writing Spider-Man, the majority of comics now are written full script. The old "Marvel method" of doing the dialogue after the artwork is completed is hardly ever used now. The 616 episode focusing on the production of the Iron Man 2020 series made great pains to establish that Dan Slott is one of the few, if not only, writers at Marvel who still write comics that way. Most writers will do a dialogue pass after the art is completed and make tiny edits, but the majority of their work is done before the artist starts drawing.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    (Also, while not knowing the specifics of how Spencer is writing Spider-Man, the majority of comics now are written full script.
    Nick Spencer does in fact write full script.

The old "Marvel method" of doing the dialogue after the artwork is completed is hardly ever used now. The 616 episode focusing on the production of the Iron Man 2020 series made great pains to establish that Dan Slott is one of the few, if not only, writers at Marvel who still write comics that way. Most writers will do a dialogue pass after the art is completed and make tiny edits, but the majority of their work is done before the artist starts drawing.)
    The plot-first method (which is what is should be called since "marvel method" can easily be confused with Stan Lee's shenanigans with Ditko and Kirby) in fact leads to more delays than full-script. It puts more work on the artist to come up with the panels and images to tell the story and that delays the process more than if the writer gave it to them to work with.

At the end of the day, until Spencer sits down for an interview a year or two down the line and goes off-the-cuff, we won't really know the stuff leading to the end of his run. Maybe Spencer wanted a short run but he was asked to expand and pad stuff out longer than he expected due to high sales.

Who knows?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Totally forgot about Fanfare! That had awesome covers. It is a shame. Presents allowed obscure characters to get love every now and then while also being a testing ground for writers and artists.
    My issue with MCP was ti was chopped up into 4 different stories...but you have to get a lead story with Wolverine to sell the book I guess.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I touched upon the length of a possible Zdarsky run earlier but I will add and elaborate. I am pretty certain that one thing on the minds of Editorial ( and their Disney Corporate Parent) is ASM 1000 and the need to get it done right. I was also reading that Nick Spencer’s three year run is tied for second for most issues ever, which likely means Marvel needs two or three writers to get to Amazing 1000 ( which should happen sometime in 2026). I am going to predict that if it is Zdarsky it will be a short run ( until ASM 900 or 900). After that Marvel can bring on the next writer and their level of success ( or lack of) will determine if he or she will get to write Amazing 1000.
    Gotta be honest here - this is not remotely a concern for Disney . The most it’s a concern for Marvel is getting some sales on the comic, which are so fractional compared to the money the MCU makes that neither company is going to carry this as a primary concern of importance. =)
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I guarantee Marvel will not allow a Marv Wolfman type bad writer to do Amazing 1000, nor will they tolerate a rush job like we are seeing at the end of the Spencer run, or even worse, a bad story that is allowed to be canon, because it was not erased in time ( see Sins Past). This is why I can see issues before ASM 950 to basically be a trial run. If the writer ( let’s call him ( or her) Smith) does a good job ( based on sales and in this case more importantly content) is good, then he or she can do ASM 1000, but if they fail, then they can have another writer, and without question a Top writer like Cates or Ewing take over with enough time to do their own stories and ASM 1000.
    They not only had a Marv Wolfman level writer on an anniversary issue, they had *Marv Wolfman himself* on an anniversary issue. LOL. I think the concept of the issue 1000 is a lot more important to comics fans than it is to Marvel. =)
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Awful idea. Both characters have almost nothing in common. And Spider-Man fans want to read a book about Spidey, specially being the flagship title; not a team-up book with far less interesting characters.
    If you read through this dude’s post history, it’s just the “gimmick” he has. He’s mainly better off ignored
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I know this isn't the thread for it, but people really gotta chill with the Slott hate.

His run was pretty cool and for younger reader's Slott's run is their seminal Spidey

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I know this isn't the thread for it, but people really gotta chill with the Slott hate.

His run was pretty cool and for younger reader's Slott's run is their seminal Spidey
    I'm not young (in my 60's) and thought Slott's run was great!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    Amen brother!

I think a lot of the older heads tend to compare it with the classics and unfairly malign Slott, but it's cool to change things.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 06-20-2021 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    Amen brother!

I think a lot of the older heads tend to compare it with the classics and unfairly malign Slott, but it's cool to change things.
    I totally agree. I love Slott’s run. I think Superior Spider-Man was a fun story. Everyone knew Peter would eventually come back, but the journey was entertaining. I’m just sad that there was no way to keep both Otto AND Peter as Spider-Men (and the series that revived him, I felt, was horrible compared to Slott’s).

BANNED