Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Dang, I am really enjoying Spencer's run ; but if that means we get Zdarsky then color me ecstatic

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I hope this was what was originally planned. If Spencer can get his story told the way he wanted - then great. The Kindred stuff has the potential to be one of the best Spider-Man stories we’ve had (how it relates to Harry, OMD, all of it) if they can just stick the landing.

I desperately want this to be as good as the hype surrounding it from Issue 1. We know we are on the cusp of addressing OMD with Dr Strange confronting Mephisto and Last Remains all but telling us it’s what Peter needs to “confess” to.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Sad to see Nick Spencer leave, his ASM has constantly been great fun since the very beginning - however if he's leaving on his own terms and feels he told the story he wanted to tell, then that's perfectly fine.

In terms of his replacement, Donny Cates made it very public that Amazing has always been his goal, and with him and Stegman leaving Venom the stars seem to align for that. However with his ongoing commitment to Thor, Hulk, the unannounced Spawn book + his creator-owned books I can't really see him taking over Amazing right now, especially since the book seems to be doing very well for Marvel coming out twice a month or so. Hopefully we'll find something out next week.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Zdarsky does good work with Spidey. He has a great voice for him and the characterization is on point. Initially I felt that, after all his work, he might not have nothing new to say. But, after reading the comments about his Spectacular run, it got me thinking - satellite Spidey titles have to be different tonally from Amazing. You are very limited in what you can, or can't, do.

So, if Zdarsky DID get the keys to Amazing, it has me thinking that it COULD be vastly different to what he did in Spectacular. Add to that he has done the Life Story stuff in between and that has been the opposite to how he approached Spectacular. Dude has grown as a writer as well.

The question is: will it be a short or long run? Spencer leaves with 875 and that gives us 25 issues left until Amazing hits 900.
    I touched upon the length of a possible Zdarsky run earlier but I will add and elaborate. I am pretty certain that one thing on the minds of Editorial ( and their Disney Corporate Parent) is ASM 1000 and the need to get it done right. I was also reading that Nick Spencer’s three year run is tied for second for most issues ever, which likely means Marvel needs two or three writers to get to Amazing 1000 ( which should happen sometime in 2026). I am going to predict that if it is Zdarsky it will be a short run ( until ASM 900 or 900). After that Marvel can bring on the next writer and their level of success ( or lack of) will determine if he or she will get to write Amazing 1000.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 06-19-2021 at 05:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Sad to see Nick Spencer leave, his ASM has constantly been great fun since the very beginning - however if he's leaving on his own terms and feels he told the story he wanted to tell, then that's perfectly fine.

In terms of his replacement, Donny Cates made it very public that Amazing has always been his goal, and with him and Stegman leaving Venom the stars seem to align for that. However with his ongoing commitment to Thor, Hulk, the unannounced Spawn book + his creator-owned books I can't really see him taking over Amazing right now, especially since the book seems to be doing very well for Marvel coming out twice a month or so. Hopefully we'll find something out next week.
    I doubt Cates will take ASM.
    Just give us Zdrasky.
    I think Nick may have been pushed a bit but will still finish his story.
    We are getting so many issues in these 2+ months that we might as well have 6 months on a bi-monthly schedule(the norm for ASM if i am not mistaken).Let's not forget the Giant sizes and the 96 page Ultra-Size.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I touched upon the length of a possible Zdarsky run earlier but I will add and elaborate. I am pretty certain that one thing on the minds of Editorial ( and their Disney Corporate Parent) is ASM 1000 and the need to get it done right. I was also reading that Nick SpencerĀ’s three year run is tied for second for most issues ever, which likely means Marvel needs two or three writers to get to Amazing 1000 ( which should happen sometime in 2026). I am going to predict that if it is Zdarsky it will be a short run ( until ASM 900 or 900). After that Marvel can bring on the next writer and their level of success ( or lack of) will determine if he or she will get to write Amazing 1000.
    I can see this happening.
    Zdarsky is also writing FCBD for Spidey so thats one more indication.
    I do hope we get a 25 minimum with going to 50 for Zdarsky.You can easily build a great 1000 in 75 issues.Even if the new writer is a bad one we can still make a good milestone with 50 or even 25 issues if the writer knows what they are doing.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

And moving from speculation on the new writer to the new artist... I can't help wondering if John Romita Jr is involved, as the timing would work quite well with his return to Marvel.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    And moving from speculation on the new writer to the new artist... I can't help wondering if John Romita Jr is involved, as the timing would work quite well with his return to Marvel.
    I wanted him back so bad but he needs to put in effort.
    His old stuff is soooo good.The cover he did for the Life Story annual is great.
    But his magneto cover was awful.I don't know if he can handle interiors without messing up the quality.
    I would love if we got Checcheco.Or the artist on Sword or immortal hulk or Spider-woman.
    Seriously Spider-woman artist on Spider-man should be done.ASM sells way more and Pere is wasted there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I can see this happening.
    Zdarsky is also writing FCBD for Spidey so thats one more indication.
    I do hope we get a 25 minimum with going to 50 for Zdarsky.You can easily build a great 1000 in 75 issues.Even if the new writer is a bad one we can still make a good milestone with 50 or even 25 issues if the writer knows what they are doing.
    I guarantee Marvel will not allow a Marv Wolfman type bad writer to do Amazing 1000, nor will they tolerate a rush job like we are seeing at the end of the Spencer run, or even worse, a bad story that is allowed to be canon, because it was not erased in time ( see Sins Past). This is why I can see issues before ASM 950 to basically be a trial run. If the writer ( let’s call him ( or her) Smith) does a good job ( based on sales and in this case more importantly content) is good, then he or she can do ASM 1000, but if they fail, then they can have another writer, and without question a Top writer like Cates or Ewing take over with enough time to do their own stories and ASM 1000.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I guarantee Marvel will not allow a Marv Wolfman type bad writer to do Amazing 1000, nor will they tolerate a rush job like we are seeing at the end of the Spencer run, or even worse, a bad story that is allowed to be canon, because it was not erased in time ( see Sins Past). This is why I can see issues before ASM 950 to basically be a trial run. If the writer ( let’s call him ( or her) Smith) does a good job ( based on sales and in this case more importantly content) is good, then he or she can do ASM 1000, but if they fail, then they can have another writer, and without question a Top writer like Cates or Ewing take over with enough time to do their own stories and ASM 1000.
    I agree.But I feel as if we will get 2 writers from now till 1000

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I wanted him back so bad but he needs to put in effort.
    His old stuff is soooo good.The cover he did for the Life Story annual is great.
    But his magneto cover was awful.I don't know if he can handle interiors without messing up the quality.
    I would love if we got Checcheco.Or the artist on Sword or immortal hulk or Spider-woman.
    Seriously Spider-woman artist on Spider-man should be done.ASM sells way more and Pere is wasted there.
    Or Marvel could have Jessica Drew make a reoccurring guest appearance in ASM as Peter's ally who gets a major spotlight in a story arc. Peter Parker could make a guest appearance (in a non Spider-Man role) in Jessica's world creating equipment for her whose Venom Blast could be used to the fullest extent. I am surprised that Spencer never bothered to have Jessica Drew and Julia Carpenter as reoccurring allies of Spider-Man that could flush out their characters more so than current...

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Hulk View Post
    Well it makes perfect sense, isn't it? He have found another job and wrapped up his run. I don't think he was fired. Spencer probably doesn't have time to work for two companies or thinks that another company will be more suitable for him, I dunno. The same happened with Bendis- he wrapped up Invincible Iron Man and left for DC.
    We don't know the order.

Did he find another job and wrap up his run?

Or did he decide to end his run and then found another job?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    We don't know the order.

Did he find another job and wrap up his run?

Or did he decide to end his run and then found another job?
    We do not know the order ( the “What came first the chicken or the egg” analogy I made before(. But we do know that Spencer was allowed to do Hydra Cap without interference ( and I am sure Marvel knew it would be controversial), we also know the quote by “Spencer “I know the beginning, middle and end of the story” we also know Marvel said nice things about Spencer ( which they would not do if he stabbed them in the back and ran off to a competitor), I would also note the fact they are almost dumping issues of Amazing like what happens to episodes of cancelled TV shows in summer. Those things make me believe that Marvel pushed Spencer out. I would note that if it is Zdarsky taking over, that gives even more credibility to the theory of mine that he got pushed out due to the length of Kindred and the opportunity to get Zdarsky back to Spider-Man.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Or Marvel could have Jessica Drew make a reoccurring guest appearance in ASM as Peter's ally who gets a major spotlight in a story arc. Peter Parker could make a guest appearance (in a non Spider-Man role) in Jessica's world creating equipment for her whose Venom Blast could be used to the fullest extent. I am surprised that Spencer never bothered to have Jessica Drew and Julia Carpenter as reoccurring allies of Spider-Man that could flush out their characters more so than current...
    LOL. Dude. Just make your own threads for this recurrent (and entirely unrelated to the topic) theme rather than bringing them to other discussions.
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Awful idea. Both characters have almost nothing in common. And Spider-Man fans want to read a book about Spidey, specially being the flagship title; not a team-up book with far less interesting characters.