Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Superman September 2021 Solicits

DC Connect for September is up so we have solicit text even if we don't have full size covers.

DC Universe link: https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/c...7ff3dfa/reader
    Lunar link (PDF download): https://www.lunardistribution.com/fi...connect_14.pdf
    Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/4h7IHih

EDIT:

Full solicits are now up.

ACTION COMICS #1035
    Writers: PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON and SEAN LEWIS
    Artists: DANIEL SAMPERE and SAMI BASRI
    Cover: DANIEL SAMPERE
    Variant Cover: JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO
    $4.99 | 40 pages | $5.99 US Variant (Card Stock)
    ON SALE 9/28/21

Superman keeps the abandoned Warworld weapon out of the hands of anyone who might misuse it. But now the Justice League questions his judgment. It’s time for Clark Kent to put up or shut up. In “Tales of Metropolis,” the Guardian comes to the city. Is this another step toward Future State?

BATMAN/SUPERMAN #22
    Writer: GENE LUEN YANG
    Artist: PAUL PELLETIER
    Cover: IVAN REIS and DANNY MIKI
    Variant Cover: GARY FRANK
    $3.99 US | 32 PGS | $4.99 US VARIANT (Card Stock)
    ON SALE 9/28/21
    SERIES FINALE!

Mr. Mxyzptlk resurrecting Calendar Man from his death during A-Day is causing some reality-rattling consequences. If Superman and Batman are going to prevent a fifth-dimensional god-being from compartmentalizing all of existence, they’re going to need to turn to some unlikely allies.

SUPERGIRL: WOMAN OF TOMORROW #4
    Writer: TOM KING
    Artist: BILQUIS EVELY
    Cover: BILQUIS EVELY
    Variant Cover: ROSE BESCH
    $4.99 US | 32 PGS | $4.99 US VARIANT (Card Stock)
    ON SALE 9/21//21

Supergirl sets her sights on the Brigands, a group of dastardly nomads hell-bent on slaughtering all they come across. Nowshe must follow their path of destruction to find the fugitive they've been hiding who set her on this intergalactic journey in the first place!
    Last edited by Hypo; 06-18-2021 at 09:30 AM.

Extraordinary Member

SUPERMAN '78 #2
    Writer: ROBERT VENDITTI
    Artist: WILFREDO TORRES
    Cover: BEN OLIVER
    Variant Cover: BRYAN HITCH
    $3.99 US | 32 PGS | 2 of 6 | $4.99 US VARIANT (Card Stock)
    ON SALE 9/28//21
    After a battle with a rampaging robot, Superman enlists an unlikely ally to crack the code behind who sent it. He needs an intelligent technological genius, and that can only mean one person: Lex Luthor!

SUPERMAN AND THE AUTHORITY #4
    Writer: GRANT MORRISON
    Artist: MIKEL JANÍN
    Cover: MIKEL JANÍN
    Variant Cover: GENE HA
    $4.99 US | 40 PGS | 4 of 4 | $4.99 US VARIANT (Card Stock)
    ON SALE 9/7//21

Is the team ready for what’s next?

Will the Man of Steel’s new super-group fall apart before they even begin? The Ultra-Humanite has put together his own team of rogues designed to match the Authority fist for fist. This series comes to an explosive conclusion that will threaten to split the Man of Steel in half!

CHALLENGE OF THE SUPER SONS #6
    Writer: PETER J. TOMASI
    Artist: EVAN STANLEY
    Cover: SIMONE DI MEO
    Variant Cover: NICK BRADSHAW
    $3.99 US | 32 PGS | 6 of 7 | $4.99 US VARIANT (Card Stock)
    ON SALE 9/14/21

The Super Sons were trapped in the past by Felix Faust and Vandal Savage so they could unlock the secrets of the future. A young sorceress named Rora has teamed up with Superboy and Robin to get them back to their own time—if they can overcome their über-magical captors!
    Last edited by Hypo; 06-18-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member

SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL #3
    Writer: TOM TAYLOR
    Artist: JOHN TIMMS
    Cover: JOHN TIMMS
    Variant Cover: INHYUK LEE
    $3.99 US | 32 PGS | $4.99 US VARIANT (Card Stock)
    ON SALE 9/14//21

Jonathan Kent hasn’t been Superman for long, but he’s upset some powerful people with his heroism. And the underground news source known as the Truth is helping Jon open his eyes to evils in the world that could be more powerful than the new Man of Steel.

Continuing the brand-new saga of Superman from Tom Taylor, the writer of Nightwing, and John Timms, artist on Future State: Superman of Metropolis.
    Last edited by Hypo; 06-18-2021 at 09:33 AM.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

So what’s going on with the September event? Is it not a thing or has it been pushed to October? The whole schedule has felt rather disorganized since the beginning of IF but I’m hoping this will all make sense later on.

Extraordinary Member

Full solicits with full size covers are now up.

Oh look, Batman's probably going to show up in a Superman book again .

Yang's run was short-lived.

A begrudging team-up between Lex and Superman to face off against '78 Brainiac should be fun.

I see Eclipso and Ultra-Humanite among the villains fighting the Authority, but who else is there...?

Incredible Member

No September event apparently.

Going by these solicits, Clark stopped the conflict between the Surface, Atlantis and those Kaijus but did so through controversial means, and when confronted by the JL he decides to quit to spare the League from the backlash of what he's planning to do (I don't think there'll be more conflict than that between Supes and the JL considering how cordial he's been with Batman and Aquaman so far). He then proceeds to re-form the Authority to deal with that Warworld Source thing. Oh, and the Tales of Metropolis back-up move to Action Comics. Hooray?

Speaking of the Authority, I'm getting the feeling "split the Man of Steel in half" may be literal. Superman Red and Superman Blue again?

We also have Jon getting schooled about the "real issues" by an underground news source in another move that makes him basically the more daring take on classic Clark status-quo. Except for getting schooled about the real issues, that one sounds more like Green Lantern/Green Arrow. Makes Jon interesting enough so long as that "daring" part is kept, makes him completely redundant if it goes away.

Kara's solicit continues to sound generic. Hopefully it also continues to be a good execution of it.

We continue to not hear anything about Kon in the Suicide Squad solicit but directly see him in the Titans United solicit. Are we sure that's out of continuity?

Yang goes for the silliest, most threatening end to the Batman/Superman series. Exactly as it should be. I wonder if they're planning to replace it with a Next Batman/Son of Kal-El series, or a New Trinity series, or something like that. Anyway, hope Yang keeps writing Superman in some capacity (in preferably a "but with a twist!" capacity, since I haven't been impressed with his "straightforward" Superman).

Checkmate continues to be an unofficial Superman series. I'll continue to hope for the best Bendis despite evidence to the contrary in JL.

Speaking of JL, it's new members being told about the legacy of past founders. So probably Diana and, if it's set at the same time as Action Comics, Clark. It's going to look very awkward from an outside perspective if one of those members is Jon. "Oh, Superman is out so they're recruiting his presumably more pliable teenage son." Obviously not how it'd be treated in the comics, but it'd be a funny perspective for it.

Superman '78 didn't give us more info from what we could have guessed from the August solicit.

Oh, and there's a "horror" story with Clark and Lois in the Halloween special. Hopefully it's good.

I hope Superman and the Authority is leading to something good for Supes because with the end of Yang's Batman/Superman there could potentially be zero of interest to me going forward. Here's hoping.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-18-2021 at 11:18 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    We also have Jon getting schooled about the "real issues" by an underground news source in another move that makes him basically the more daring take on classic Clark status-quo. Except for getting schooled about the real issues, that one sounds more like Green Lantern/Green Arrow. Makes Jon interesting enough so long as that "daring" part is kept, makes him completely redundant if it goes away.
    I'm oddly reminded of the Unsanity Collective in Batman.
    We continue to not hear anything about Kon in the Suicide Squad solicit but directly see him in the Titans United solicit. Are we sure that's out of continuity?
    TV synergy book.
    Checkmate continues to be an unofficial Superman series. I'll continue to hope for the best Bendis despite evidence to the contrary in JL.
    Is Superman their secret benefactor?
    Speaking of JL, it's new members being told about the legacy of past founders. So probably Diana and, if it's set at the same time as Action Comics, Clark. It's going to look very awkward from an outside perspective if one of those members is Jon. "Oh, Superman is out so they're recruiting his presumably more pliable teenage son." Obviously not how it'd be treated in the comics, but it'd be a funny perspective for it.
    It's going to be so hard for me to take Jon on the Justice League seriously. Naomi's one thing but then it would feel like they're transitioning the group into being all teenagers, especially if Jackson Hyde seriously becomes the new Aquaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's going to be so hard for me to take Jon on the Justice League seriously. Naomi's one thing but then it would feel like they're transitioning the group into being all teenagers, especially if Jackson Hyde seriously becomes the new Aquaman.
    Looks like the rumoured 5G is happening but drop by drop and not as in a tsunami as DiDio wanted. Let's see how it works.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Looks like the rumoured 5G is happening but drop by drop and not as in a tsunami as DiDio wanted. Let's see how it works.
    I mean I feel that it’s a pretty smart decision on their part, especially without completely eliminating other characters for the sake of new ones. Jon may be becoming Superman but Clark is still very much active in his own books and other series where he may pop up.

Of course I’m that weird guy here who likes to read all about new and legacy characters, Jon, Jace, Yara, Jo, Kaldur, Shilo, and Crush are pretty much all of my reading list.
    Last edited by sifighter; 06-18-2021 at 01:39 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I wonder how much 5-G was finished when Didio was fired. And when you don't have anything lined up as backup, you kind of have to work with what you've got. They would have to go without books on the shelf for a month or so. Which is a financial dead end.
    Assassinate Putin!

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

* Well, it's damn near official, Jon's joining the JL in place of his dad as Superman. And not just that, it seems Yara, Jace, and Jackson may be joining too! I mean, they'll all have books by that point.

* Fairly certain that Batman/Superman being on its final issue will be making way for a Superman/Wonder Woman book staring Jon and Yara. Future State really does seem to be the blueprint in at least a general sense (some very specific), and a Superman/Wonder Woman book staring Jon and Yara not being around while both now have full blown books of their own seems quite glaring, so I'm incline to believe that this is the next step. Really looking forward to it because I'm really interested in their dynamic as young adults (Jon at 17 and Yara in her early 20s). The only thing is that I'm wondering who writes it? I'd LOVE to see Yang get a proper crack at Jon as Superman. Then again, Watters seems likely given the fact that he wrote the Future State book to begin with, and I did enjoy his writing.

* So once again, similar to Future State Clark is somewhat leaving Earth on bad terms

* I freakin' LOVE the solicitation for Son of Kal-El #3! It's exactly what I was expecting/wanting/hoping for down to the letter. A modern remix and update to the Golden Age. Jon Kent vs the people in power that pull the strings of the world. And the best part is-- and I'm almost positive Taylor is going here-- JON'S IDENTITY ISN'T A SECRET! This isn't like Golden Age Clark who could be a man of mystery, torment these evil people in change, and then just go live a safe second life without worrying about retaliation. It's a baked in stalemate that Jon's going to have to do more than out muscle. And I love this underground news organization opening Jon's eyes to how he can do more.

I just wonder what Jon did to piss these guys off? Was it something specific to them? Or maybe they were hoping that with Clark gone they wouldn't have to deal with a Superman, but in comes Jon? Regardless I'm in.

* Not much to say on Superman & The Authority other than it looks great and I'll obviously get it.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-18-2021 at 03:17 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Hm no Superman event in Sept? Did PKJ getting injured screw up the scheduling for that? Or maybe they plan to wait until after Fear State is over before doing another “Family” event.

Action looks like this will be the event that sees Clark leave the League and leave Earth for the stars.

Pour one out for Yang’s Batman/Superman book boys. Damnit I hate that Yang keeps getting put on books to do two arcs before they get cancelled. I hope they plan to either relaunch the book with Jon & Jace or maybe do a Jon & Yara book like in Future State with Yang hopefully still writing. Yang has a book starring the Monkey Prince coming at least.

Supergirl and Superman ‘78 both sound good.

I recognize two members of Humanite’s team. I would say the rest are OCs but it’s Morrison so there’s a good chance they’re niche characters that have been revamped.

The Jon solicit sounds interesting but I pray the decompression isn’t as intense as what Taylor is doing in Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Oh that was obvious when they kept hinting Jon would take over for his dad and Jace was getting a series. They’re still going to try and replace the Big 3 at some point, we’ll just see how long they intend to try.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh that was obvious when they kept hinting Jon would take over for his dad and Jace was getting a series. They’re still going to try and replace the Big 3 at some point, we’ll just see how long they intend to try.
    I don't know what they're going to do with Wonder Woman since they're giving Yara a mini so it would seem weird to immediately try to segue that into making her Wonder Woman, but they might have felt that replacing Diana was riskier than Batman and Superman.