Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know what they're going to do with Wonder Woman since they're giving Yara a mini so it would seem weird to immediately try to segue that into making her Wonder Woman, but they might have felt that replacing Diana was riskier than Batman and Superman.
    That would be a first, which is why I don’t think it’s the case. I don’t think they intend for Yara to be Wonder Girl for long honestly, give it a year or so and they’ll probably start positioning her as co-WW with Diana same as Jon and Jace.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    * I freakin' LOVE the solicitation for Son of Kal-El #3! It's exactly what I was expecting/wanting/hoping for down to the letter. A modern remix and update to the Golden Age. Jon Kent vs the people in power that pull the strings of the world. And the best part is-- and I'm almost positive Taylor is going here-- JON'S IDENTITY ISN'T A SECRET! This isn't like Golden Age Clark who could be a man of mystery, torment these evil people in change, and then just go live a safe second life without worrying about retaliation. It's a baked in stalemate that Jon's going to have to do more than out muscle. And I love this underground news organization opening Jon's eyes to how he can do more.

I just wonder what Jon did to piss these guys off? Was it something specific to them? Or maybe they were hoping that with Clark gone they wouldn't have to deal with a Superman, but in comes Jon? Regardless I'm in.
    I like that we learn that the Truth is specifically an underground news organization, because then it doesn’t have the public reputation or authority on truth like a certain large news conglomerate headquartered at a billion dollar skyscraper such as, I dunno, the Daily Planet?! Lois Lane herself is a world-renowned multiple Pulitzer-winning journalist—what greater legitimization of authority is that? Jon could’ve gotten an internship there just on name alone, or gone to another esteemed “legit” student paper.

So Jon associating with people that operate outside of the usual establishment puts him in an interesting position. I feel like even the group’s name—Truth—is very much meant to invoke the phrase “Truth and Justice”, and give Jon his own version of it. And if the Truth ends up butting heads against the Daily Planet, that’s even better. The fact that Jon has his eyes opened does imply he’s forming a worldview that’s different from what he learned from his parents. I’ve commented before that I don’t want Jon to go into journalism, but if it’s in the context of an anti-establishment newspaper and parlays into themes of generational differences, I’d definitely be open to it.

I feared that Jon could end up as a Clark clone as it would truly be a colossal waste of character, but a lot so far indicates that Jon will be doing things the unconventional way: he’s figuring out new ways to use his powers, he’ll be part of an underground news organization, and if FS is any indication he’ll be a controversial Superman to the public. “Unconventional” and “controversial” are words that will get me excited about Jon as Superman.

BANNED

But is it sustainable?

Can Tom Taylor keep this going pass the 12th issue is the big question

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    But is it sustainable?

Can Tom Taylor keep this going pass the 12th issue is the big question
    My biggest worry is the first issue selling well enough to warrant a second printing. If we can't prevent that from happening, hopefully it'll shake DC's confidence in salvaging their failed experiment enough that they go back to what they know works, which is Jon as a kid. Like seriously, I don't see how anything DC seemingly has planned for the world of Superman required Jon being an adult. If anything, it would be enhanced by Jon being a kid.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yang's run was short-lived.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Pour one out for Yang’s Batman/Superman book boys. Damnit I hate that Yang keeps getting put on books to do two arcs before they get cancelled. I hope they plan to either relaunch the book with Jon & Jace or maybe do a Jon & Yara book like in Future State with Yang hopefully still writing. Yang has a book starring the Monkey Prince coming at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Yang goes for the silliest, most threatening end to the Batman/Superman series. Exactly as it should be. I wonder if they're planning to replace it with a Next Batman/Son of Kal-El series, or a New Trinity series, or something like that. Anyway, hope Yang keeps writing Superman in some capacity (in preferably a "but with a twist!" capacity, since I haven't been impressed with his "straightforward" Superman).

Oh, and there's a "horror" story with Clark and Lois in the Halloween special. Hopefully it's good.
    Losing Yang is soooo tough to hear. Strange because it's consistently recognized as one of the better (if not the top) books in the current stable. I think more than one will be poured out for this, ha. On the plus side though, Yang writing Mxy to go out on sounds absolutely fantastic.

As for the horror story in the Halloween special, here's to hoping it's written by Ram V. Guy is currently killing it.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

No September event apparently.

Going by these solicits, Clark stopped the conflict between the Surface, Atlantis and those Kaijus but did so through controversial means, and when confronted by the JL he decides to quit to spare the League from the backlash of what he's planning to do (I don't think there'll be more conflict than that between Supes and the JL considering how cordial he's been with Batman and Aquaman so far). He then proceeds to re-form the Authority to deal with that Warworld Source thing. Oh, and the Tales of Metropolis back-up move to Action Comics. Hooray?

Speaking of the Authority, I'm getting the feeling "split the Man of Steel in half" may be literal. Superman Red and Superman Blue again?

We also have Jon getting schooled about the "real issues" by an underground news source in another move that makes him basically the more daring take on classic Clark status-quo. Except for getting schooled about the real issues, that one sounds more like Green Lantern/Green Arrow. Makes Jon interesting enough so long as that "daring" part is kept, makes him completely redundant if it goes away.

Speaking of JL, it's new members being told about the legacy of past founders. So probably Diana and, if it's set at the same time as Action Comics, Clark. It's going to look very awkward from an outside perspective if one of those members is Jon. "Oh, Superman is out so they're recruiting his presumably more pliable teenage son." Obviously not how it'd be treated in the comics, but it'd be a funny perspective for it.
    agreed.they need to keep the daring.I am glad.They are showing clark taking initiative as well.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That would be a first, which is why I don’t think it’s the case. I don’t think they intend for Yara to be Wonder Girl for long honestly, give it a year or so and they’ll probably start positioning her as co-WW with Diana same as Jon and Jace.
    They're already making Jackson Aquaman apparently so I guess we can throw pacing out this stuff out the whazoo .

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    My biggest worry is the first issue selling well enough to warrant a second printing. If we can't prevent that from happening, hopefully it'll shake DC's confidence in salvaging their failed experiment enough that they go back to what they know works, which is Jon as a kid. Like seriously, I don't see how anything DC seemingly has planned for the world of Superman required Jon being an adult. If anything, it would be enhanced by Jon being a kid.
    Ah !

As if your bland and boring kid Jon had ever been a seller. He always rode on the tails of far more successful characters like his dad and Damian. And he ruined the second in the process. I really hope his series and inclusion in the JL will sells like hotcake. IF it makes you stop complaining all the time, all for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Ah !

As if your bland and boring kid Jon had ever been a seller. He always rode on the tails of far more successful characters like his dad and Damian. And he ruined the second in the process. I really hope his series and inclusion in the JL will sells like hotcake. IF it makes you stop complaining all the time, all for the better.
    why are you like this

Quote Originally Posted by Venceremos View Post
    why are you like this
    Because I'm tired of kid Jon's fanatics. And because it's true. Kid Jon never stood on his own. Never.

Batman/Superman ending is very unfortunate. And looks like Superman's event is now just an arc in Action. So yeah, after Batman/Superman and Superman/Authority ends in September some of us might not have many options left.

Speaking of JL, it's new members being told about the legacy of past founders. So probably Diana and, if it's set at the same time as Action Comics, Clark. It's going to look very awkward from an outside perspective if one of those members is Jon. "Oh, Superman is out so they're recruiting his presumably more pliable teenage son." Obviously not how it'd be treated in the comics, but it'd be a funny perspective for it.
    Diana's already been replaced by Hippolyta. Barry should be leaving the team, as well as Clark. And maybe Arrow and Canary if their involvement in Checkmate and with Deathstroke respectively becomes known to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    * Well, it's damn near official, Jon's joining the JL in place of his dad as Superman. And not just that, it seems Yara, Jace, and Jackson may be joining too! I mean, they'll all have books by that point.
    Wouldn't Yara and Jace be redundant with Hippolyta and Bruce there? And is Jackson going to be a second Aquaman or is he replacing Arthur? Jon and Wally coming in to replace Clark and Barry seems logical, but nothing in that solicit confirms who is joining the team. Only that at least two people have never been on the team before.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I'm getting some 80s Batman & The Outsiders vibes from the new direction of SM, quitting the League and leading the Authority.

I hope they are ending Yang's Batman/Superman run and giving him something else Superman related. He deserves a solid Superman project.

I still do not in any way get the sense that Superman & The Authority takes place in the present time of these books. It is either set before or after the Future State issues. The Midnighter backups are directly tied into that. The bump to PKJ's Superman event isn't surprising. It's possible it's not even related to his recent injuries given his run got those filler bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    The first issue has a very good chance of doing that. Its a #1, it'll sell really well. If it doesn't, then even I'll be surprised. Its after that which it'll fall off a cliff.

JL is going to be so depressing soon. Really great, classic characters all of whom on their way out of the League will be nothing but mouthpieces for how awesome and cool the newbies are. Only question is which character will have the dubious honor of officially labeling them the greatest generation EVAR!
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-19-2021 at 11:32 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El