Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Its possible, but I never really felt it was that thoroughly foreshadowed personally. Isn't that often argued because of the early Reborn suggestion that there were still problems with the timeline? but if it was supposed to be a thing directly concerning Conner, it was really last minute because references to Reign in those crash course history lesson issues in which the vague discrepancies were teased, the artist actually drew Kon in originally but had to go back and remove him. So maybe they said, "wait, lets say there's still issues with the timeline and get rid of Conner for a while to accentuate that". But it would be weird if they decided that, lay the foundation in Superman, and then end up it being more of a Tim Drake journey. But then again they do stuff a lot that doesn't make sense. Either all this or they just got rid of him to promote Jon. I think either or is equally possible. That said, even if its the latter, the question still remains was Bendis the one who eventually backed his return? Those things don't necessarily have to go together either.

TL;DR I really don't know either.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-26-2021 at 08:20 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    With things like damiam, my hero and invincible. the shtick of "son/successor of flying brick" concept is getting out there as well and getting popularised.
    I never realized this before, but it is pretty interesting that we got the “son of Superman” deconstruction from Invincible before we even got the “son of Superman” straight take from Jon. Not sure if it’s late timing or good timing in terms of cultural conversation that SoKE will come out after the first season of Invincible blew up. I’m pretty intrigued to see the comparisons regardless.

Maybe Johns intended to bring Conner back in Doomsday Clock? Otherwise there was never any plans for Conner, that’s why they let Bendis bring him back in the first place. I suspect part of the reason why was they simply didn’t want to have Kon and Jon sharing the Superboy title (hilarious if true given where we’ve ended up).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    I never realized this before, but it is pretty interesting that we got the “son of Superman” deconstruction from Invincible before we even got the “son of Superman” straight take from Jon. Not sure if it’s late timing or good timing in terms of cultural conversation that SoKE will come out after the first season of Invincible blew up. I’m pretty intrigued to see the comparisons regardless.
    I think invincible is more of deconstruction of the alien superman than son of superman.Paranoia is evident.It's actually cementing the human in mark grayson as the hero.His humanity is celebrated.I don't see anything wrong in that persay as aliens altogether are not derided...I would also say,more current deconstruction of superman is homelander.I had this problem with superman as an outsider.He feels naive good.worst fake good.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I think invincible is more of deconstruction of the alien superman than son of superman.Paranoia is evident.It's actually cementing the human in mark grayson as the hero.His humanity is celebrated.I don't see anything wrong in that persay as aliens altogether are not derided...I would also say,more current deconstruction of superman is homelander.I had this problem with superman as an outsider.He feels naive good.worst fake good.
    Hm, good point. Then I would say Invincible and SoKE are flip versions of each other, with “son of evil Superman” compared to “son of good Superman.” I just find it funny that Invincible played the variation first before the original since usually it’s the other way around. Invincible was ahead of the game.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Part of me wonders exactly how much credit should go to Bendis in regards to Conner's return. Wasn't Rebirth practically telegraphing his comeback WAY before Bendis was a thing?
    I don't think Rebirth was nearly as thought out as everyone wants to believe it was. For one thing, Didio was still being Didio about the whole sidekicks thing. That's why it took like two years before they did anything with Wally. For the last 20 years DC has basically been Didio versus everyone else there. I don't think any real change was possible as long as he was still there. With him just sort of losing power slowly as his ideas kept losing money.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't think Rebirth was nearly as thought out as everyone wants to believe it was. For one thing, Didio was still being Didio about the whole sidekicks thing. That's why it took like two years before they did anything with Wally. For the last 20 years DC has basically been Didio versus everyone else there. I don't think any real change was possible as long as he was still there. With him just sort of losing power slowly as his ideas kept losing money.
    I'm still nonplussed that after all the talk of change with Didio gone they're still going ahead with his 5G plans despite saying they weren't doing it.
    It kind of feels like after getting rid of Didio they're still on autopilot.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I'm still nonplussed that after all the talk of change with Didio gone they're still going ahead with his 5G plans despite saying they weren't doing it.
    They might be simply because there were no other plans in the pipe once he left. If 5-G was already halfway finished by the time he left, they didn't have anything to replace it with. Or they could go months without anything on the shelves but that's not a very good business model. Just going off of Superman and WW, Rebirth felt like it was banged out at the last minute.
    Assassinate Putin!

I just assumed they did it because DC spent 5 years on a reboot that only sort of panned out (New 52 had good series, it just needed a better game plan per year and some clarification) and then another 5 years after New 52 with Rebirth putting most of continuity that they lost back to get us to a point close to where we were pre-flashpoint in the crazy events that were Doomsday Clock and Death Metal.

And now we are in a crossroads, because DC has mostly returned to pre-flashpoint continuity with it being able to reference all that came before but with the stuff that worked in New 52 and Rebirth sticking around and considering how after 10 years of shenanigans they are supposed to move forward and what they came up with is keeping the older characters that we all know and love around and in titles but then also introducing a whole new generation of heroes who may be able to catch readers and maybe progress DC forward. I mean maybe it can work out if we have Jace in I AM Batman but Bruce shows up literally everywhere else or Jon as Superman but Clark also maintaining operations on his own personal work.
    Last edited by sifighter; 06-27-2021 at 09:37 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

There appear to be pretty distinct differences between Didios 5G and what we are seeing playing out now. Didio was fired not because of sales apparently, but because his "my way or the highway" managing style with 5G finally caught up with him.

We know people like Williamson were not going to be involved at all with 5G. PKJ wasn't involved with 5G Superman and his plans for Clark and War World apparently weren't in the pipeline either. House of El may have been someone elses project, since PKJ has said that was an idea brought to him. Morrison's Superman & The Authority was a 5G book though, so it's going to be interesting to see how these all connect up.

I think Didio's 5G was going to be a hard reboot like if Future State #1's were a full relaunch. I don't think we'd be getting Action Comics with Clark and War World if this truly was Didio's 5G.

BANNED

Dan didio released a coherent canonical timeline for 5G that would have chronicled the history of DC dating back 60 years

It wasn’t a hard reboot so much as a reshuffling and streamlining of DC’s history, beginning with Superman’s landing in earth and ending where Jon Kent returns from the legion of superheroes(where the timeline indicates Jon spent most of those missing 7 years)

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Dan didio released a coherent canonical timeline for 5G that would have chronicled the history of DC dating back 60 years

It wasn’t a hard reboot so much as a reshuffling and streamlining of DC’s history, beginning with Superman’s landing in earth and ending where Jon Kent returns from the legion of superheroes(where the timeline indicates Jon spent most of those missing 7 years)
    I never really understood the timeline. Didn't it push Superman to having been active as a hero for 40 years or something? I remember it seemed to have pushed all the original heroes to being very old. Even allowing for Superman to age slowly that means his supporting cast like Lois would be senior citizens. Is that not right?

BANNED

I never really understood the timeline. Didn't it push Superman to having been active as a hero for 40 years or something? I remember it seemed to have pushed all the original heroes to being very old. Even allowing for Superman to age slowly that means his supporting cast like Lois would be senior citizens. Is that not right?
    Well...according to this timeline, Superman had a career before meeting Lois and had to lay low for a while after the government banned superheroes.

So maybe they were trying to de-couple Lois away from Superman’s early years, trying to make it so that Lois is more like a Sharon carter to Lana Lang’s Peggy carter

Maybe the plan was to make it so that there was a Superman for decades before Lois came into the picture
    Last edited by kryptonian; 06-27-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Well...according to this timeline, Superman had a career before meeting Lois and had to lay low for a while after the government banned superheroes.

So maybe they were trying to de-couple Lois away from Superman’s early years, trying to make it so that Lois is more like a Sharon carter to Lana Lang’s Peggy carter

Maybe the plan was to make it so that there was a Superman for decades before Lois came into the picture
    That's interesting - also short sighted to be so focused on real world time as it would quickly get dated.
    I don't see how that could've worked without a hard reboot though, that's such a radical change.

You can't age them up too much if you want Lois to have kids. Superman can't have been around in the thirties and still have a kid with Lois AND still have the Kents alive or whatever it was they were planning to do.
    Assassinate Putin!