3 1.62%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Storm 5'11 and Rogue 5'8

BANNED

Stand Out!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Yes and no. I adore Laura but Tom Taylor's run, which I loved btw, lasted as long as it did and sold as well as it did because the book was called "All New Wolverine". The other two ongoing X-23 books, including the very underrated Marjorie Liu-penned one, didn't do nearly as well. So I think it's a bit of a cheat in this case. No argument on Dazzler though, she wins fair and square here.
    hello and thank you. x-23 popularity literally is due to her being a Wolverine derivative. she's literally his clone, there's nothing in that to brag or boast about when you take the xmen most popular character and then make a female version of him. I mean what do you expect? Popular yes, stand out hardly as the lack of originality respective to x-23 makes it extremely difficult to support her being a standout character.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 06-19-2021 at 11:18 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Alison Sealy-Smith,
    the voice actress of X-Men Animated Series character Storm.
    In the chat she talks about the importance of Storm, staying grounded,
    the dynamic friendship of Storm and Rogue and more.

Storm and Jean Grey! End of discussion!

I voted for Storm. She is probably the most iconic of all the X-Men.

Extraordinary Member

The stand-out is Storm. She's the most well-known and popular X-woman thanks to the Claremont run and the 90s cartoon. She's got larger than life powers and personality, at least when done right, which hasn't always been the case.

I don't like the way the OP is phrased. There are plenty of characters that draw readers and have that 'X-Factor' that just makes them amazing. Characters can break-out in the comics but remain virtually unknown because they weren't on the team at the exact moment the cartoon launched 30 years ago.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Storm, that is all!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

YEESH. Psylocke is being totally left out. Grrr....

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    YEESH. Psylocke is being totally left out. Grrr....

Which psylocke though. I ask because i wonder if writers like psylocke or the idea of a white woman in an Asian body being a ninja.
    Last edited by jwatson; 06-19-2021 at 04:33 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Which psylocke though. I ask because i wonder if writers like psylocke or the idea of a white woman in an Asian body being a ninja.
    Well... as a fan thats not me. I never thought that and those who wanted more poc rep - there would not be outcry about the unmerging. So obviously the fans at least saw them as both Asian and English... Probably because they had each others memories. I don't know why the fans should suffer because of the writers faults. Kwannon should be Asian though and have the sword and Betts should get the butterfly and the Psylocke name because it was hers. This Betsy however is the breakout/standout among most writers I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    hello and thank you. x-23 popularity literally is due to her being a Wolverine derivative. she's literally his clone, there's nothing in that to brag or boast about when you take the xmen most popular character and then make a female version of him. I mean what do you expect? Popular yes, stand out hardly as the lack of originality respective to x-23 makes it extremely difficult to support her being a standout character.
    That's reductive. Laura is very much her own distinct character, that contrasts greatly with Logans (At least when being written competently.).
    He's fire, she's ice; he's a samurai, she's a ninja; he's berserker, she's surgical and precise.
    Though, it would be disingenuous to not acknowledge a modicum of coat tail riding.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    That's reductive. Laura is very much her own distinct character, that contrasts greatly with Logans (At least when being written competently.).
    He's fire, she's ice; he's a samurai, she's a ninja; he's berserker, she's surgical and precise.
    Though, it would be disingenuous to not acknowledge a modicum of coat tail riding.
    That's disingenuous. We are talking about popularity a surfficial thing and Laura is popular because she is the female wolverine. That's basically it. She is a cool charachter with her own motivations and principles but her ultimate Crux to game is Logan.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

My own opinion, Storm and Rogue.

While one of my faves is Jubilee, she is not a stand out like these other women.

I think that with more use and development, Magik will be up there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    That's disingenuous. We are talking about popularity a surfficial thing and Laura is popular because she is the female wolverine. That's basically it. She is a cool charachter with her own motivations and principles but her ultimate Crux to game is Logan.
    It might have initially attracted interest, but a character does not retain popularity simply by being a copy; those are the ones that fade into obscurity and disappear.
    She had her own ongoing and 2 mini series before adopting the title, and has had very little to do with Logan in her 16 years in the comics.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Most Psylocke fans, I know don't even read comics and just love her from TAS or the Capcom fighters.

I could show them a picture of Betsy Braddock right now and they'd be completely lost which is sad tbh.

I blame Jim Lee for his sexy art.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!