Default Mister Miracle: the source of freedom #2 preview and discussion

Alright so this is weird, after the ending of last issue N’vir Free, supposed Daughter of Scott Free and Barda is attacking Shilo Norman. But besides that confusing piece of lore because last I checked those two didn’t have a daughter (and whether they had a kid or not is a confusing part of the King miniseries). But there appears to be one pretty big problem...Shilo doesn’t know who Scott Free and Barda are.

Which I know I’m not big on New Gods or Mister Miracle history, but last I checked wasn’t Shilo supposed to be Scott’s sidekick or at the very least they know each other from their adventures. So not really sure what’s happening here.

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/06/18/dc...ce-of-freedom/
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Yeah I'm guessing Shilo doesn't know either Scott or Barda. Which is a missed opportunity in my book. I thought the idea of having Shilo be the adopted son of Scott and Barda to be a cool hook.

Why would Scott's protege, who they're positing as a legacy successor, suddenly not know who he is? I don't get it, unless it's a deliberate plot point and he has amnesia.

this is....concerning to me ngl. I'm not sure how I feel about shiloh not knowing Scott and Barda because it does that thing I hate that writers do (especially when I comes to underused character): writing them like they are the first person to write them and forgoing their entire history. I have been enjoying Easton's work so far, I'm curious how he plans on playing this.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    this is....concerning to me ngl. I'm not sure how I feel about shiloh not knowing Scott and Barda because it does that thing I hate that writers do (especially when I comes to underused character): writing them like they are the first person to write them and forgoing their entire history. I have been enjoying Easton's work so far, I'm curious how he plans on playing this.
    It's even weirder because I feel like Easton brought up Scott and Shiloh's connection in an interview, so how does he suddenly not know who Scott is?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's even weirder because I feel like Easton brought up Scott and Shiloh's connection in an interview, so how does he suddenly not know who Scott is?
    Not even supposing that, how would he not even know the guy who took up his old mentors costume, Thaddeus, before he did?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I just read issue #2 and I'm back on board. it appears this is set in it's own continuity or taking advantage of the fact that I don't believe they ever gave Shiloh a post-Flashpoint origin, and there appears to be some space-time/interdimensional shenanigans afoot as well. this is looking more like a straight-up reintroduction of Shiloh, borderline origin story, which I'm actually ok with. I was worried they were doing a lazy retcon of his established history. this very much reads like they are going for a more adaptation-friendly story for/version of Shiloh. I need to read it over again but I'm having fun with this story so far.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Yeah there are definitely a few lines here or there that point to something going on in this story in terms of reality and alternate realities. Still need some answers because it’s not 100% clear and I thought Shilo would be on Earth-0 because of Future State, but it’s definitely interesting.
    Words to live by.