Default Detective Comics #1038 Preview

Detective Comics #1038 Preview
    Writer: Mariko Tamaki
    Artist: Viktor Bogdanovic
    Backup Writer: Meghan Fitzmartin
    Backup Artist: Karl Mostert

Incredible Member

Incredible Member

Lord, the girls were savage. Poor Penguin .

Steph and Cass part made me laugh..

Poor Cobblepot.

Incredible Member

Not nearly as good as last issue, imo. I sense that the issue was rushed leading to it being disjointed throughout. Some of my nits:

spoilers:

First of all, not sure you disarm bombs just by throwing batarangs at the LCD timer display, haha.

There's a page where Batman fires his grappling hook to snatch Worth's right hand during their fight. And then... nothing. Worth just frees himself somehow.

IMO, you can't just handwave Worth getting out of jail like that after blowing up the police station. Yes, he's a rich dude, but just give me *something*, one line to explain how it happened. He bribed the members of the grand jury, for example. Something, please.

Vile's dialogue to Worth in the car is mostly complete gibberish: "I am a fan of men of great power who are willing to use their force to exercise their strength." lol, so bad, indicative of the rush job. Ironically, in the same panel, I did enjoy the GIANT GUN that Worth put to Vile's head.
    end of spoilers

Any guesses regarding the true identity of Hue Vile? I’m going with spoilers:
    Hugo Strange
    end of spoilers.

I’m really enjoying Detective these days, minus the usual tiresome Gotham apocalypse, and I like Bruce’s new status quo.
    Last edited by cgh; 06-22-2021 at 11:40 AM.

I read Worth's voice as Joe Dimaggio.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Any guesses regarding the true identity of Hue Vile? I’m going with spoilers:
    Hugo Strange
    end of spoilers.
    Anything's possible, but I'm not sure why he would have some insect thing stored inside him?

Astonishing Member

One thing I'll give it is that I don't have any real suspicion that Vile is connected to anything previous. Not exactly a ton of parasitic creatures like that in Batman history past, not that "Classic Gotham" of a villain type. There might be a crazy hallucination angle to it or something or he might just be a malevolent space alien parasite or something, which juxtaposes against the more grounded neighborhood and Worth and even Lady Clayface murder witness angles playing out, and makes for something different for a Batman/Huntress team-up for sure. Clearly we don't have the whole picture of who or what he actually is, though we can more or less figure the motivations.

I don't think he's anyone we've met before. It's a weird high concept, though, and I'm curious what the purpose for using such a non-traditional creature in a fairly grounded otherwise Bat-story might be. I will say that Nakano's Mayoral set-up is the most f**ked-from-the-get-go in like, Gotham history. Oh corruption and evil twin daughters and Boss Thorne blackmail and Black Glove cult parties have happened for sure, but this one is just loaded with serious problems, dead before it can ever even get off the ground. Saint/Scarecrow/Police State on the right and a space parasite alien on the left? Jeez Nakano, you really, really suck.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Anything's possible, but I'm not sure why he would have some insect thing stored inside him?
    Short answer: comics

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yeees Steph and Cass part is fun
    Also while Cass should be over 20 now, she's short so she would look like a kid with a fully covered costume
    Also is this a new Lady Clayface, as in new new, or a remake of old Lady Clayface that's only appear now?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

If you'll recall my thoughts on the last issue I said I had felt that the end scene with Worth taking a bazooka to the police precinct where Bruce Wayne was being held felt a touch over the top then it will come as no surprise that I wasn't a fan of how this issue continued the fight...as it took that scene, which was already high on the unbelievability scale, and turned it to eleven, err make that at least 22. Yes, instead of a single rocket fired at a building which was crazy enough here we got Worth using a bazooka as a close range weapon...in the sewers...and somehow although just last issue a single rocket reduced a building to rubble none of the five rockets (where is he even keeping those things) manages to bring the house down on top of them. But it doesn't stop there, Worth gets arrested...for simply destroying public property...and then walks free with no bail money needed. That sound you're hearing, like an over strung window shade snapping back in place? Yeah, those are my eyes finally coming back to their normal front facing position after having rolled several times well beyond just the back of my head. I know, I know, this is a book with a guy running around in his pajamas punching people so reality goes out the window pretty often but for whatever reason this sequence events was just too much for me, and I'm a guy who loves Krypto the Superdog.

All that said though? For as much as all that turned me off, Tamaki is still writing a pretty solid Batman book. I really love the characterization of Bruce and his interactions with Huntress here are really great to read and the mystery at the Mayor's office is still as intriguing as always...it's just the big action scenes that are slightly off. Here's hoping that improves.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yes, instead of a single rocket fired at a building which was crazy enough here we got Worth using a bazooka as a close range weapon...in the sewers...and somehow although just last issue a single rocket reduced a building to rubble none of the five rockets (where is he even keeping those things) manages to bring the house down on top of them.
    Yeah, I should've added that to my list of nits/complaints above. There were just so many to keep track of, haha. Let's hope Tamaki does better next ish.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Yeah, I should've added that to my list of nits/complaints above. There were just so many to keep track of, haha. Let's hope Tamaki does better next ish.
    Ha yeah I'm hoping things get a bit tighter.