Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Terror to the Deep: Black Manta (David Hyde/Kane) Appreciation Thread 2021

Created by: Bob Haney and Nick Cardy

First appearance:Aquaman #35 (September 1967).

Abilities: Manta possesses a keen scientific mind and is an expert in mechanical engineering and military tactics. He is typically a non-powered human outside of unyielding ruthlessness and determination; however, in earlier depictions, Black Manta possessed some degree of advanced stamina and endurance as a result of a serum that cured him of autism. Manta is a ruthless combatant who is extremely proficient in hand-to-hand combat and swordsman, but generally relies more on advanced technology, magical relics, and strategic planning than direct physical confrontations. Manta has used a Black Pearl that could control the seas, the Globe of Transportation, the Scepter which sunk Atlantis, the Tear of Extinction, and a plethora of other ancient mystical artifacts over the course of his career. He also often uses a variety of unique vehicles, such as a modified manta ray-shaped submarine, for traveling underwater.

Manta most regularly utilizes his nigh-invulnerable battle suit that enhances his physical strength and durability to superhuman levels. the suit allows him to throw cars with ease, lift additional 5000 Ibs more than without the suit, and fight toe-to-toe with powerhouses like his rival Aquaman. The armor is made to adapt to any oceanic environment, providing complete resistance to deep sea pressures and granting Black Manta the ability to breathe underwater. The suit also includes a jet pack propulsion system that functions in or out of water, a telepathic scrambler, and a wide array of different weapons and gadgets including: twin swords, a hand trident, a wrist-mounted speargun on the right arm, a harpoon, deployable miniaturized torpedoes, and his iconic diving helmet that can discharge powerful optic blasts from the eye lenses.

Essential Reading
    • FOREVER EVIL
    • - TELL ME MORE PLEASE!!!

[stay violent my friends...]

-----

Link to his son's appreciation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    At the end of the year, all Appreciation threads are closed and new threads for the coming year are put in place.

Appreciation threads are for just that - Appreciation. Not for debate, not for slamming and not for bringing other characters down by comparison.~

Commence appreciating! :-)
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-22-2021 at 07:30 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Still a fave from...

Challenge of the SuperFriends

The greatest nemesis to the King of the Seas:

Spectacular Member

Seriously that new suit we see on the cover of his Solo makes me think Bourassa's Young Justice animated design so much. The Angular helmet, the more mechanized suit, the red glowly lines on the suit. Seems very strongly inspired by it.

"... for whom I have nothing but hate. And to be clear, nothing is forgiven. There will be a reckoning, I promise you ... then you will die"
    Last edited by Jabare; 06-18-2021 at 10:26 PM.
    The J-man

Black Manta hasn't always had the most in-depth character. They streamlined his origin in the last 10+ years and made him a stonecold killing machine. I know DC has a lot of villains, but Black Manta has to be really high up on the list of guys I never want to piss off.

Last edited by Jabare; 06-18-2021 at 11:06 PM.
    The J-man

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    Seriously that new suit we see on the cover of his Solo makes me think Bourassa's Young Justice animated design so much. The Angular helmet, the more mechanized suit, the red glowly lines on the suit. Seems very strongly inspired by it.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post

Can't beat the classics!

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Got over the whole "Atomica doesn't go inside Manta" thing by writing an actual endo story involving Aquaman, Aqualad, and Mera going inside Manta. https://www.scribd.com/document/5123...quaman-Cartoon
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

That’s pretty great that Manta will be fighting a character called Devil Ray. That was the name of his JLU stand in. They couldn't get the rights to Black Manta so they created his doppelgänger “Devil Ray”.

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

had to include my favorite Manta Moment

currently following:

Manta would make a great Sith Lord.

That is the iconic Manta moment. It's ridiculous over the top, intense. Kind of hilarious when you think about how absurd it is, but that's kind of Geoff Johns Manta in a nutshell.

I don't love his origin but the latest origin is far better than the previous Origins. The current Black Manta is a ruthless stone-cold killer that lives to see Aquaman's death. He hates Aquaman with a passion of a thousand suns.

As others have alluded to the current Black Manta design is much improved. The Brightest Day revamp was much needed. Giving him a top-tier artist like Ivan Reis just did wonders for him.

I don't think Aqualad being his son has benefitted Black Manta's character in any way. It was a good twist for Young Justice, that kind of gets squandered because of the time skip. On the comic page, it's more interesting for Aqualad and gives him a lot of internal drama and strife. However, it's not like Black Manta even had an Omni Man type relationship with his baby mama, or that he even cares about his son. In Young Justice, he seems like he cares.

It's kind of ironic how much Black Manta stands out from the other DC supervillains these days. He's so one-track-minded. Finding treasure, killing Aquaman, and making him suffer. that's it.

You put Black Manta up against Gotham villains and he shreds most of them without a second thought. The man's John Wick dialed up to 30.
    The J-man

Incredible Member