Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

litterally the most ridiculous bad@$$ and hilarious scene all rolled into one. Like this would be a scene from Rick and Morty
    Anybody working in customer service would be like this after a few years, regardless of whether their archenemy returned from the dead or not.

Does this look silly?

And then there's the movie look:

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Does this look silly?

sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    yes. I feel with the oval helmet it's a very thin line between menacingly uncanny and....grey watermelon with eyes. over the years they've definitely made the oval helmet work (and c'mon, have you ever seen Ivan Reis not make a design work?) but it's always been the actions of Manta that made him work, in spite of how silly the oval helmet may be.

tho, admittedly the odd (sometimes ridiculous) look of the oval helmet definitely contributed to how iconic he has become.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-13-2021 at 12:39 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    sometimes...

yes. I feel with the oval helmet it's a very thin line between menacingly uncanny and....grey watermelon with eyes. over year they've definitely made the oval helmet work (and c'mon, have you ever seen Ivan Reis not make a design work?) but it's always been the actions of Manta that made him work, in spite of how silly the oval helmet may be.

tho, admittedly the odd (sometimes ridiculous) look of the oval helmet definitely contributed to how iconic he has become.
    I think it's all in the visual (and I guess the artist), but that's true for a lot of costumes.

some looks are universally passable or good amongst the majority of artists. As lemonpeace said earlier. Ivan Reis is a top tier artist that makes anything look good
    The J-man

these are two of my favorite Black Manta fanart pieces

Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-11-2021 at 02:58 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

a weird, kinda fantastical, take on Manta

currently following:

Love the horror vibe.

If I saw that standing in front of me I would run away on sight.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Michael Beach is the best Manta voice actor.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    Michael Beach is the best Manta voice actor.
    Who has technically not played Black Manta. Although he has fathered him .

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Love the horror vibe.

If I saw that standing in front of me I would run away on sight.
    imo I think that should be the vibe you get from Manta when he's suited up; that horror "holy ****, wtf is that!?! run away!!" sorta vibe. that's when his helmet and overall design works best. like if you look at some of his Injustice designs, Manta's helmet can make him super otherworldly and intimidating, kinda like an aquatic supervillainous Kabuto.

currently following:

Ultimate Member

He's got a great design, but they really need to do something about his motivation. Just hating Aquaman isn't enough, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    He's got a great design, but they really need to do something about his motivation. Just hating Aquaman isn't enough, IMO
    I think it all depends on the execution, although they've gotten some mileage of mining him out a pirate out to plunder the secrets of the deep because he feels it's owed to him...on-top of just hating Aquaman.

Granted they got a lot out of Reverse-Flash who is 100% driven by how much he wants to screw over Barry Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    i mean, I've already seen people complaining about the first Black Manta issue that they're "watering him down" or "trying to make him an anti-hero" just because he's being shown as character outside of having a raging hate boner for Aquaman 24/7. it seems for some people thats all they need/want.

currently following:

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it all depends on the execution, although they've gotten some mileage of mining him out a pirate out to plunder the secrets of the deep because he feels it's owed to him...on-top of just hating Aquaman.

Granted they got a lot out of Reverse-Flash who is 100% driven by how much he wants to screw over Barry Allen.
    Flash have other villains who can pick up the depth, though. Aquaman, not so much.

I mean, why does he feel entitled to the sea?

A good take might be that Manta's family worked tirelessly to reveal the existence of Atlantis, becoming experts of the deep. Only for Arthur to come along, kill his father and reveal the truth to the world without any of the work that he and his family did.