Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Flash have other villains who can pick up the depth, though. Aquaman, not so much.
    Yeah, but Thawne still gets used the most. And Aquaman at least has some other villains.
    I mean, why does he feel entitled to the sea?

A good take might be that Manta's family worked tirelessly to reveal the existence of Atlantis, becoming experts of the deep. Only for Arthur to come along, kill his father and reveal the truth to the world without any of the work that he and his family did.
    I think a lot of it had to do with his upbringing and his father.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    imo I think that should be the vibe you get from Manta when he's suited up; that horror "holy ****, wtf is that!?! run away!!" sorta vibe. that's when his helmet and overall design works best. like if you look at some of his Injustice designs, Manta's helmet can make him super otherworldly and intimidating, kinda like an aquatic supervillainous Kabuto.
    I think in terms of archetypes he is closer to Boba Fett (or what SW fans think Boba Fett is); the bad ass normal dude in a suit that completely obscures his identity and relies on his gadgets and wits to overcome great odds. If you're his enemy, then there is no getting away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    He's got a great design, but they really need to do something about his motivation. Just hating Aquaman isn't enough, IMO
    They are trying to set him up as a pirate and treasure hunter in the upcoming series. My Aquaman knowledge isn't up there with my knowledge on Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man or Zatanna but I always thought about how a reworking of Manta's original motivation would look like today. Maybe Manta and his father were trying to figure out how to allow humans in general to survive underwater. Maybe tie it into modern day anxieties about environmental catastrophe with Manta and his father working to find a way to allow humans to survive better in a post apocalyptic world when Manta's father was (accidentally) killed by either Aquaman or Aquaman's father, leaving Manta to be raised by pirates and bounty hunters. I see being a hero or villain as a matter of choice. Manta could be someone who could easily be a world class diver and oceanographer but instead he chooses to use his skill for revenge and to rob others. Sort of like Dr Doom; someone who could easily make the world a better place but chooses petty revenge instead.

Solicits for Black Manta #4 & #5
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Looks like they're sticking close to Devil Ray's cartoon design.

I'm really digging Devil Ray's character. it looks like he's positioned to represent like a true student of Black Manta's radical days and his idea of creating a black utopia under the sea. considering how hard he's going for the cause, I wonder if they're planning on having Manta truly be indifferent to the idea (maybe having it be a excuse for his machinations just like before) or if by the end we'll see Gallous and Devil Ray sorta reignite that fire in him and make his character double down in that direction going forward.

also, I like the theme of sorta coding villainy with blackness. Manta is Devil Ray's hero because he (from his perspective) fought for him but the world only sees Manta as a murderous pirate and super villain. the tragic part is Manta only saved Devil Ray to get at the rock those other pirates stole from him. it reads like they're purposely playing off the idea that a lot of black heroes were seen as menaces and villains just for fighting for their freedom and dignity. it's all very compelling to me.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

I'm also fascinated by this idea of Manta being linked to this lost tribe of (presumably all black?) Atlanteans.

I wanted wait till next issue to see what Manta's gonna uncover about them in 9000 BC.

currently following:

I'm glad they are keeping Devil Ray unique while still having a connection to Black Manta.

I like how they're portraying Black Manta here as well. The dialogue, the design (both in and out of the suit), the world building, all on point.

Shin just can't help himself...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm a simple man. Whatever they retcon, if it takes Manta out of his suit and helmet, I riot.

Not saying they're doing it, but keeping DC on watch.

Manta is an excellent villain and I'm glad he's getting some more use of late.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

I was thinking about this scene and it makes me wonder about Atlantis' history. I'm not too versed on Atlantis history in the DC universe but this gives me the impression that (prior to it's sinking) Atlantis was more of a melting pot of cutting edge magic and technology from all over the world; is that/has that typically been the case?

regardless, I like that Brown didn't make Manta an ATLANTIAN Atlantian but still found a way to deepen the connection between David and Atlantis. this is shaping up to be an interesting avenue to provide that added dimension of history and legacy to the Hyde family. It makes me curious how this "Weapon Master" tribe could play into not just Manta but Jackson's character as well. the ancient Manta ships were a nice touch.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-11-2021 at 06:40 AM.

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Black Manta #4 Preview
    Writer: Chuck Brown
    Artists: Matthew Dow Smith

re-posting the Manta preview

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

I was thinking about this scene and it makes me wonder about Atlantis' history. I'm not too versed on Atlantis history in the DC universe but this gives me the impression that (prior to it's sinking) Atlantis was more of a more of a melting pot of cutting edge magic and technology from all over the world; is that/has that typically been the case?

regardless, I like that Brown didn't make Manta an ATLANTIAN Atlantian but still found a way to deepen the connection between David and Atlantis. this is shaping up to be an interesting avenue to provide that added dimension of history and legacy to the Hyde family. It makes me curious how this "Weapon Master" tribe could play into not just Manta but Jackson's character as well. the ancient Manta ships were a nice touch.
    I love the melting pot concept for Atlantis. I’m not the biggest Aquaman historian but I don’t recall this idea ever being used before. It was supposed to be one of the greatest civilizations on earth and the idea that people from different parts of the planet came there to trade not just goods but magic and technology is pretty awesome.

Hmm, a country of super advanced people from the African continent. Sounds like Black Manta could not only have a deeper connection to Atlantis but he could also have ties to DC’s version of Wakanda.
    Last edited by Robotman; 12-11-2021 at 02:12 AM.

It was hinted in Geoff's run, wasn't it? With peoples of all origins coming to Atlantis, which led to a coup by the bigoted brother of King Atlan.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It was hinted in Geoff's run, wasn't it? With peoples of all origins coming to Atlantis, which led to a coup by the bigoted brother of King Atlan.
    Was this during his New 52 stuff? I think I jumped onto Aquaman around Rebirth and I don't remember that storyline. if that is the case, that would make sense and line up with what we know about this lost tribe. maybe the Weapon Masters came to Atlantis just before or during the mass-migration sheparded in by Atlan but saw the conflict brew with the coup, figured it might bring down all of Atlantis (economically, politically, and literally), and got the hell out if dodge. from the wording of this Elder Roe character maybe, despite being foreigners, the Weapon Masters sided against Atlan for some reason during the coup.

currently following: