Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Yeah, it's during New 52, I HIGHLY recommend reading the run. It seeded this version of Manta (he still wears the scars he got there) and it really expanded on Atlantis history. Aquaman #24 precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I love the melting pot concept for Atlantis. I’m not the biggest Aquaman historian but I don’t recall this idea ever being used before. It was supposed to be one of the greatest civilizations on earth and the idea that people from different parts of the planet came there to trade not just goods but magic and technology is pretty awesome.

Hmm, a country of super advanced people from the African continent. Sounds like Black Manta could not only have a deeper connection to Atlantis but he could also have ties to DC’s version of Wakanda.
    Me neither but I recently found this blog cosmic-herbal-tea on Tumblr who is a huge fan of DC's Atlantis and it's backstory and they've made several posts about the history of Atlantis (though I warn you there are spoilers for the most recent episode of YJ and they are not huge fans of YJ's most recent take on the backstory):

https://johnvenus.tumblr.com/post/67...-bc-of-how-bad

https://cosmic-herbal-tea.tumblr.com...-vandal-savage

https://cosmic-herbal-tea.tumblr.com...-bc-of-how-bad

https://cosmic-herbal-tea.tumblr.com...ark%20majistra

There is also Madame Xanadu #19. It doesn't feature Atlantis but it does describe Atlantis as once having been the 'helix' of the magical world and after it sank the survivors spread out and settled elsewhere. In this particular case, we see Nimue and Morgan Le Fay living and adjusting to life around humans even as their powers give them a distinct advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Yeah, it's during New 52, I HIGHLY recommend reading the run. It seeded this version of Manta (he still wears the scars he got there) and it really expanded on Atlantis history. Aquaman #24 precisely.
    so I looked into New 52 Aquaman #24 and is does indeed leave room to possibly (and very neartly) provide context for the Weapon Master tribe. for one it does confirm that was Atlantis was more of a melting pot under King Atlan's rule

more pertinent to the Weapon Masters, after Orin's coup Atlan returned (with the atlantian artifacts) and subsequently slaughtered Orin and his wife. he then went years driven so mad with grief that he neglected Atlantis and didn't even speak prior to sinking everything. it's possible Elder Roe's becoming disillusioned with Atlan is rooted in these years of civil war and silent madness, and they had the foresight to see Atlan was going to destroy all of Atlantis one way or another.

Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-12-2021 at 03:28 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

As far as I understood Atlan went in hiding for years, came back and slaughtered his brother and his wife and then destroyted Atlantis in one fell swoop. I suspect Roe saw the writing on the wall before Orin's coup and ditched.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    As far as I understood Atlan went in hiding for years, came back and slaughtered his brother and his wife and then destroyted Atlantis in one fell swoop. I suspect Roe saw the writing on the wall before Orin's coup and ditched.
    from the wording it seems like after the initial coup, and the death of his family, he and those loyal to him went into hiding for years while he created the atlantian artifacts. then he returned and killed Orin, but there was a civil war before he actually sank everything. remember it said pretty explicitly he returned without a word and only spoke, after years of silence, on the day he sank Atlantis; as it was experiencing a civil war. According to Manta's vision, Elder Roe and his tribe didn't evaculate until the days leading up to the sinking

so, if we're following the events of Aquaman #24, they would have experienced the initial coup, experienced the ramifications of Atlan's exile and Orin's death, and witnessed the deterioration of Atlantis' unity.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-12-2021 at 12:30 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

I'm so goddamn good! just read Black Manta #4 and I appear to be right on most accounts. the wizard King was indeed Dr. Mist (which, tangentially, also for the first time reveals the location of Kor) and it looks like the Weapon Masters are the deserter tribe that taught Atlan the secrets to forge the atlantian artifacts.

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    Lol, yo the last panel...Now that's O.G. trolling on another level! This dude would kill his own kid for riding with his enemy while tagging him a race traitor.

Black Manta's character design for Aquamen

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

Black Manta's character design for Aquamen
    He's almost looking exactly like he did in Young Justice.