Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I dunno that I really like basing this on a comparison through Thanos. Obviously overpowering Thanos is a feat for Carol, but being overpowered by him wouldn't be something we'd really bring up as a point against Thor otherwise, board conventions being what they are. I say this because Thor's best strength feat is probably moving the Nidavellir ring, which is like, probably on the order of millions of tons? More? It's a sketchy feat for Thor, so I wouldn't really argue against it being SvsFLed, but if not, giving that feat to Thanos and by extension Carol through ABC logic, seems wildly out of line.

Not saying Thor wins, just that I feel like this ought to be based on more than Marvel beating someone who beat Thor himself. I don't think the setting is consistent enough for that logic to work.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 06-22-2021 at 08:17 PM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

I think the problem with the Nidavellir feat is in fact that it was so far beyond anything Thor had done at that point in time as to put in squarely in the "outlier" box.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    I think the problem with the Nidavellir feat is in fact that it was so far beyond anything Thor had done at that point in time as to put in squarely in the "outlier" box.
    Is this the one where Rocket dragged him behind the ship or the one with the levers?

Both have pretty big question marks over how much of Thor's actual raw strength mattered in the execution of those feats.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Is this the one where Rocket dragged him behind the ship or the one with the levers?

Both have pretty big question marks over how much of Thor's actual raw strength mattered in the execution of those feats.
    Pretty sure he was talking about the rings.

This we debated before, Nik, and IF you give the feat credit, then you have to give Thor the strength feat for effectively being the link in the chain, as well as the clearly implied though a bit senseless fact that him swinging the pod around and Mjolnir-ing it provided the oomph to make it work. No, that doesn't make sense, buuuuuut...

It's also a good strength feat for the cable itself as well as for the pod and it's engines, though the pod is capable of interstellar flight so "lots of power" seems pretty reasonable. It's also, unless I'm mistaken, the roughly the same pod design from GotG and those were specifically identified as being super tough, and were being rammed through other ships repeatedly, so it's not out of the question that the pod has that kind of toughness.

The fact that the feat is pretty high up in outlier territory for Thor is the real issue. It's a strength feat that any full on class 100 dude in comics would call salutatory - easily in the range of billions of tons, and even though it's after a distinct upgrade for the guy (Ragnarok), nothing else he does really seems on that level.

The lever feat is more durability, and it, too, is on the outlier side, which is why we justifiably don't count it here. I enjoyed the whole Nidevelir arc of IW: Giant Dwarf Dinklege, Redemption of Groot, Thor being Thor-ish, etc., but I'm perfectly happy calling those feats outliers unless Love and Thunder shows a lot more stuff on that kind of level. It really screws with the scaling. If Thor can generally do what he does at Nidevelir, then he could have just punched Thanos to powder, and could have ignored anything Thanos could dish OR Thanos is a lot closer to comic level then we think, in which case he doesn't need to even pay attention to any of the heroes except Thor and scaled analogues that work with him.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

The rings, yeah. And pretty much what bigs said. Trust me, the Thor fan in me wants to go, yeah. But, honestly, just far and above anything he had done up to that point in time. Keeping my fingers crossed for Love and Thunder to push more feats like Infinity Wars Thor.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Extraordinary Member

Given that the ring was in space, would it actually have weight?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Given that the ring was in space, would it actually have weight?
    It would have mass, which is what matters, it also had the fact that the mechanism was frozen and the ice had to be broken off. It would not have had air resistance or gravity of course, but force is mass times acceleration, not weight times acceleration.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan