Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    it's weird that all these accusations started flying towards whedon after fisher accusation. considering eliza dushku has worked with joss on multiple shows and considered him as a close friend and joss has people wanting to work with him when he did dr horrible or the self funded 'much ado about nothing' movie. if he is as toxic as some claimed , why would they want to work with joss ..?

Yea this is why this stuff annoys me. Hollywood isn't that big. I mean if Joss Wheadon was such a horrible person that would get around real quick. Established actors signed up for Agents of Shield a show which he created and help write. If this guy was so horrible, then these actors sold their soul. There is no way Clark Greg and others would not have heard about how terrible Wheadon was.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    This is an industry that still allows Roman Polanski to get work and be nominated for awards. He released a film back in 2019 iirc.
    That just reinforces that the industry totally sucks. Maybe change the industry instead of giving these pieces of crap more work?

it's weird that all these accusations started flying towards whedon after fisher accusation. considering eliza dushku has worked with joss on multiple shows and considered him as a close friend and joss has people wanting to work with him when he did dr horrible or the self funded 'much ado about nothing' movie. if he is as toxic as some claimed , why would they want to work with joss ..?
    He can be nice to Dushku and still be a douche to people like Carpenter. He knows how to pick his targets and show favoritism to others, and the ones he favors can also not be aware of what he's doing to others. Eliza has dealt with her own experiences in toxic work environments, so I imagine she'd call Joss out if she personally saw it. But she wasn't on the show with Charisma at all times, and likely didn't witness his bullying. She still ended up offering support to Charisma though.

Joss seems like a total "you're with me or against me, no in between" sort of guy. Especially towards women, which makes his whole "I'm an uber feminist ally" schtick incredibly hypocritical and annoying. Buffy being such a great character and the show holding up in several aspects seems like a happy accident at this point and/or he owed a great deal to the cast and the other writers for making him look better than he is.

Ultimate Member

Isn't the reason a lot of people never came forward about this thing because everyone would doubt their claims? Or that no one in a position of power would take it seriously? that's why we've had all these movements

BANNED

Please read Charisma Carpenter statement again, she said Whedon had favourites and would even sometimes turn actors against other actors. When a person does that, it is usually done to put who he likes against who he does not.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    This is an industry that still allows Roman Polanski to get work and be nominated for awards. He released a film back in 2019 iirc.
    So because it has continued to allow terrible behavior to exist in the past it should continue to do so? I'm not sure what kind of argument you're trying to frame here.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

The one which currently irritates me is John Barrowman, mainly because he seems to be getting punished for things that were common knowledge years ago and that he apologized for at the time but more importantly that it all seems to have originated from Noel Clarke who wanted someone else to take the heat off his infinitely worse stuff. But now just John seems to be getting stuff cancelled.

Ultimate Member

Maybe no one wants to work with a person like that anymore?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    The one which currently irritates me is John Barrowman, mainly because he seems to be getting punished for things that were common knowledge years ago and that he apologized for at the time but more importantly that it all seems to have originated from Noel Clarke who wanted someone else to take the heat off his infinitely worse stuff. But now just John seems to be getting stuff cancelled.
    I was going to bring up Noel Clarke until I finished reading your post and saw his name.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yea this is why this stuff annoys me. Hollywood isn't that big. I mean if Joss Wheadon was such a horrible person that would get around real quick. Established actors signed up for Agents of Shield a show which he created and help write. If this guy was so horrible, then these actors sold their soul. There is no way Clark Greg and others would not have heard about how terrible Wheadon was.
    It can be known and still people are shamed into silence and their accusations ignored.

It's really not that hard to understand: Once the first accusation (regardless of its overall validity) gets publicity it encourages others to come out. We saw that in politics quite a few times in the past couple years.

BANNED

How about the Affleck brothers. Both Ben and Casey had sexual harassment allegation against them. Casey has settled two cases out of court.

Their careers seems to be doing okay. Ben even offered an apology to the lady who accused him

https://morningconsult.com/2018/05/2...and-responses/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    How about the Affleck brothers. Both Ben and Casey had sexual harassment allegation against them. Casey has settled two cases out of court.

Their careers seems to be doing okay. Ben even offered an apology to the lady who accused him

https://morningconsult.com/2018/05/2...and-responses/
    Apologies like Ben's always come across as phony though. Like he's only apologizing because the public spotlight was on him, how much remorse and understanding would he actually feel otherwise?

It’s strange that you used “accused” in the thread title.

Ideally*, no forgiveness is needed for just an accusation. In some cases, the accused would be the ones deciding who and when to forgive.

You can’t “forgive” someone who did no wrong.

It’s a sad state of affairs all around.

*I do realize how difficult it is to “prove” anything in a lot of circumstances.

Ultimate Member

Really? Most of these accusations turned out to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Really? Most of these accusations turned out to be true.
    And some haven’t.

Is taking every accusation at face value and potentially ruining the lives of innocent people worth it?

It’s a serious question btw. I don’t have an answer for myself just yet.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    And some haven’t.

Is taking every accusation at face value and potentially ruining the lives of innocent people worth it?

It’s a serious question btw. I don’t have an answer for myself just yet.
    Ok, but a lot of these accusations used to be dismissed even if they were true. It's not surprising some people got fed up with that state of affairs. Even if the results swing a bit too far in the other direction now, at least people are taking these kinds of transgressions more seriously, from what I've seen