Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    This site needs a software upgrade. There should be like buttons on posts.
    I don't think it's a software issue, if I remember correctly the current version of V.Bulletin in use here has the option to include "like" but it isn't used as it's thought by those who run the site that such a feature doesn't add to the dialogue on the forum. Basically, it's a cultural choice rather than a software issue.

Whether it actually makes discussions better or not is anybody's guess but hey, we're just the users so we don't get to make that call.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't think it's a software issue, if I remember correctly the current version of V.Bulletin in use here has the option to include "like" but it isn't used as it's thought by those who run the site that such a feature doesn't add to the dialogue on the forum. Basically, it's a cultural choice rather than a software issue.

Whether it actually makes discussions better or not is anybody's guess but hey, we're just the users so we don't get to make that call.
    Oh well. That kinda thing wouldn't matter to me but whatever.

This site needs a software upgrade. There should be like buttons on posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...utton-on-posts

One user's take...

This place tends to be worth the read through more often than most places with any sort of a "Like..." button.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Like.

Lengthened to at least 10 characters.

I may actually hate this week's episode. I thought it was a crushing disappointment. Badly written, badly shot, badly edited, and even badly acted. It felt like it was trying to take the piss out of itself. Badly.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

I may actually hate this week's episode. I thought it was a crushing disappointment. Badly written, badly shot, badly edited, and even badly acted. It felt like it was trying to take the piss out of itself. Badly.
    I didn't hate the episode, but I definitely was disappointed by it. I think I would have been fine if it wasn't for two things:

A. Before the trial, Khonsu says they need strong evidence. At the trial, he and Marc completely fail to even try to present things like Harrow's tattoo, scarab etc. as evidence. Yeah, Harrow could have refuted *both, but since they didn't bring these things up, Harrow didn't win the trial because he was more manipulative: he basically won because the heroes got dumb. Khonsu has to lose the trial to be on the outs with the gods, so they'll turn him to stone by the end, but that doesn't excuse the way he lost.

B. Harrow and the **scarab was right within reach of Marc, but he didn't transform and he didn't even try to kill Harrow. I think it's suppose to be tied to Harrow hinting at what happened to Layla's father, but considering what I know about that event (I was spoiled on it) I don't see how it would make him just stand there while Harrow slowly destroys their only lead and then gets away.

*Since Khonsu, a banished god, has an avatar, Ammit might be allowed to have an avatar, as well, which means Harrow worshipping her is not in itself a red flag. Harrow has the scarab, but he could probably dodge the accusation by just not having it on his person - he knew he was about to be summoned, after all.

** Harrow has already found the tomb, but Marc doesn't know that.

A and B were just too contrieved and because they were so important to the episode, they just dragged the whole episode down. I liked most everything else, though.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 04-13-2022 at 07:23 AM.

So thought the woman at the beginning helping Layla might have been an MCUized version of Nedda, but turns out her name is Lagaro, which seems to also be the name of a very obscure Golden Age hero that also has Egyptian connections.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    I didn't hate the episode, but I definitely was disappointed by it. I think I would have been fine if it wasn't for two things:

A. Before the trial, Khonsu says they need strong evidence. At the trial, he and Marc completely fail to even try to present things like Harrow's tattoo, scarab etc. as evidence. Yeah, Harrow could have refuted *both, but since they didn't bring these things up, Harrow didn't win the trial because he was more manipulative: he basically won because the heroes got dumb. Khonsu has to lose the trial to be on the outs with the gods, so they'll turn him to stone by the end, but that doesn't excuse the way he lost.

B. Harrow and the **scarab was right within reach of Marc, but he didn't transform and he didn't even try to kill Harrow. I think it's suppose to be tied to Harrow hinting at what happened to Layla's father, but considering what I know about that event (I was spoiled on it) I don't see how it would make him just stand there while Harrow slowly destroys their only lead and then gets away.

*Since Khonsu, a banished god, has an avatar, Ammit might be allowed to have an avatar, as well, which means Harrow worshipping her is not in itself a red flag. Harrow has the scarab, but he could probably dodge the accusation by just not having it on his person - he knew he was about to be summoned, after all.

** Harrow has already found the tomb, but Marc doesn't know that.

A and B were just too contrieved and because they were so important to the episode, they just dragged the whole episode down. I liked most everything else, though.
    The contrived way the trial played out was certainly bad, but the whole trappings of the trial and that all the other gods having their own avatars out in the world was a really fantastic idea so it kind of evened things out in my eyes.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I like the idea of every god having an avatar so they can continue to serve their purpose. Great way of expanding on mystic side of the character. It reminded me a lot of the Iron Fist mythos when it introduced the other heavenly cities with their own champions.

The trial itself was quite dumb. I always hate it when the villain wins not because they outsmarted the heroes but because the heroes got dumb. I guess that's the only way an obvious evil guy like Harrow can be on anyone's good side.

Outside of the trial, I liked this episode.

-- So ... Moon Knight is bulletproof, but he's vulnerable to spears?
    -- So ... Khonshu can make an eclipse or "turn back the stars" but can't do anything to thwart Harrow? I can imagine the Gods are bound by certain rules about actively acting against humans or ... affecting the mortal plane (as opposed to the heavens) which is why they need an avatar -- Maybe? An actual explanation would have been appreciated.
    -- Mr Knight is becoming nothing more than a liability. Twice now he was shoe-horned into action scenes, does nothing, then gives up to control to MK anyway.
    -- And Steven is almost sabotaging Marc here. He's seeming less like a mild-mannered, non-violent person and more like someone pathologically adverse to violence (against people at least) which is likely why Marc's brain created him, but it's very inconvenient in the middle of a fight.
    -- There seems to be a third persona who has zero compunctions about killing. Now I wonder if this third one was the original - the mercenary who murdered Layla's father and the one with the Jewish past.(Not totally sure, but as names go, I think Jacob is more Old Testament, Mark is more New Testament) They've already changed Steven and renamed Marlene, maybe this is their last Big twist on what we know from the comics. If so, it reminds me of that episode of "ST:ToS" where Kirk was split into the ruthless side of himself and the gentler side - both still him, but bisected. You can even get all Freudian and say Steven's the Suerego, Marc's the Ego and Jake(whether or not he's named Jake and whether or not he's revealed to be the original) is the Id. We'll see...
    -- This episode was a step down for me. The "trial" with the other gods/avatars wasn't particularly well-written and wasn't as impressive as it should have been. And as great as Isaac has been, I think he kinda overdid it with his "Khonshu" voice.
    -- I posted years ago that MK should be an Indiana Jones type movie rather than another street-level NYC Netflix show, and they're definitely going that way with MK here, but I think the tv show budget is showing up. Indiana Jones and the Mummy had big action set-pieces, where there would be elaborate and exciting sequences centered on grabbing some object or artifact. Here, it wasn't so thrilling. They had Marc manifest as MK on a roof (did he teleport?) for no other reason than to show him jump off, then Layla grabs the map (that should have been disintegrated - otherwise, what was the point of Harrow destroying the sarcophagus?), but all the fighting was perfunctory and didn't go anywhere - it didn't have the same tension and thrills as the movies they're trying to emulate. It doesn't help that our heroes are fighting to get to a place we already know Harrow has found. It's not a race to the tomb, they're just playing catch-up, which isn't as dramatic.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-13-2022 at 10:41 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    -- So ... Moon Knight is bulletproof, but he's vulnerable to spears?
    -- So ... Khonshu can make an eclipse or "turn back the stars" but can't do anything to thwart Harrow? I can imagine the Gods are bound by certain rules about actively acting against humans or ... affecting the mortal plane (as opposed to the heavens) which is why they need an avatar -- Maybe? An actual explanation would have been appreciated.
    -- Mr Knight is becoming nothing more than a liability. Twice now he was shoe-horned into action scenes, does nothing, then gives up to control to MK anyway.
    -- And Steven is almost sabotaging Marc here. He's seeming less like a mild-mannered, non-violent person and more like someone pathologically adverse to violence (against people at least) which is likely why Marc's brain created him, but it's very inconvenient in the middle of a fight.
    -- There seems to be a third persona who has zero compunctions about killing. Now I wonder if this third one was the original - the mercenary who murdered Layla's father and the one with the Jewish past. They've already changed Steven and renamed Marlene, maybe this is their last Big twist on what we know from the comics. If so, it reminds me of that episode of "ST:ToS" where Kirk was split into the ruthless side of himself and the gentler side - both still him, but bisected. You can even get all Freudian and say Steven's the Suerego, Marc's the Ego and Jake(whether or not he's named Jake and whether or not he's revealed to be the original) is the Id. We'll see...
    -- This episode was a step down for me. The "trial" with the other gods/avatars wasn't particularly well-written and wasn't as impressive as it should have been. And as great as Isaac has been, I think he kinda overdid it with his "Khonshu" voice.
    -- I posted years ago that MK should be an Indiana Jones type movie rather than another street-level NYC Netflix show, and they're definitely going that way with MK here, but I think the tv show budget is showing up. Indiana Jones and the Mummy had big action set-pieces, where there would be elaborate and exciting sequences centered on grabbing some object or artifact. Here, it wasn't so thrilling. They had Marc manifest as MK on a roof (did he teleport?) for no other reason than to show him jump off, then Layla grabs the map (that should have been disintegrated - otherwise, what was the point of Harrow destroying the sarcophagus?), but all the fighting was perfunctory and didn't go anywhere - it didn't have the same tension and thrills as the movies they're trying to emulate. It doesn't help that our heroes are fighting to get to a place we already know Harrow has found. It's not a race to the tomb, they're just playing catch-up, which isn't as dramatic.
    Every time Khonshu did something that directly affected the mortal plane it attracted the negative attention of the other gods. They made it perfectly clear they want to do things in a discreet manner which is why they have avatars. Khonshu going after Harrow directly would likely see him banished again.

Amazing Member

also his direct interventions while ... grand in scale (Eclipse & sky light show) they were both limited and directly in his "sphere of influence" so not like he could just knock Harrow around.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Every time Khonshu did something that directly affected the mortal plane it attracted the negative attention of the other gods. They made it perfectly clear they want to do things in a discreet manner which is why they have avatars. Khonshu going after Harrow directly would likely see him banished again.
    But if Khonshu's gonna sacrifice himself, why do it to make a star-chart rather than... drop a boulder on Harrow's head or something? (or break the scarab?) Or is there such a thing as "double-banishment?"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    But if Khonshu's gonna sacrifice himself, why do it to make a star-chart rather than... drop a boulder on Harrow's head or something? (or break the scarab?) Or is there such a thing as "double-banishment?"
    I was under the impression he can't do that. What was the whole scene in episode 2 demonstrating he can knock things over and 'rage wind' etc. But, can't physically "kill" Harrow, his avatar has too. The Khonshu feats this episode were "grand" but its directly in his sphere of influence, eclipses, and rewinding the night sky thousands of years. And even then he needed his avatar to help.

I like getting to see the Egyptian pantheon I think its a cool introduction to the MCU. But, yeah the trial was contrived like others have said.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 04-13-2022 at 11:48 AM.

Aren't there some real life computer programs or websites that can show what the star positions were 2000 years ago?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth