Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

I really have to say I’m loving both costumes. Particularly the white eyes, and the bandages on the classic suit. It’s very cool that they’re really jumping in to the Ancient Egyptian culture from what we’ve seen

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I really have to say I’m loving both costumes. Particularly the white eyes, and the bandages on the classic suit. It’s very cool that they’re really jumping in to the Ancient Egyptian culture from what we’ve seen
    Indeed. Can't wait to see what weapons he'll employ, as well...

Mighty Member

First episode was a disappointment imo. Instead of being a Bruce Wayne with an Alfred named Samuels and a maid named Nedda, Steven Grant is EDIT: DAMN, how do ya insert spoiler tags on this site?!

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    First episode was a disappointment imo. Instead of being a Bruce Wayne with an Alfred named Samuels and a maid named Nedda, Steven Grant is EDIT: DAMN, how do ya insert spoiler tags on this site?!
    I don’t mind it honestly - it would make comparisons run rampant. This is a lot more interesting to me.

Fantastic Member

We don’t know that he doesn’t have those things ..we just know he is operating in this space now ..I think I have legion ptsd as while watching I was saying to myself to I want to engage with a misdirection mashup story? But it was engaging enough …didn’t like the venom sounding voice in his head…

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    We don’t know that he doesn’t have those things ..we just know he is operating in this space now ..
    But it's in the Steven Grant space that he should have those things. Steven Grant is the Bruce Wayne alter.

I want to engage with a misdirection mashup story?
    I don't know what you're trying to say here, sorry.

didn’t like the venom sounding voice in his head…
    Khonshu didn't sound like Venom to me.

I can imagine fans of the comic being impatient with the first episode since they slow burn reveal stuff we already know. That said, I did enjoy it, though the first ep didn't blow me out of the water.
    Random thoughts:
    -- First thing I wonder: not knowing much about DID, this seems like a sensationalist depiction. (especially the voice in his head and the talking to his alter) Not really a fan of the show grouping his mental condition with his supernatural possession in a horror setting. We'll see if they get better at that.
    -- The opening with Steven's life reminded me of a "The Office" workplace comedy. Maybe because Steven sounded a bit like Martin Freeman to me. (also not sure about the authenticity of the Brit stuff - they seemed to all have the same British accent which struck me as odd)
    -- Crawley, is that you? (the golden statue guy)
    -- Who is Steven really leaving messages to?
    -- Venom, is that you? Not only the deep voice, but then he starts insulting Steven, and added to Steven's quirky behavior really reminds me of Tom Hardy's Eddie Brock now. I hope they don't overdo it with the Venom similarities.
    -- Zuul, is that you? That running around the museum part made me think of "Ghostbusters."

I do like how we discover Marc and MK through Steven rather than just see his origin. I imagine a big part of that is because unless the main story is about Bushman, you would want the origin to tie into the Big Bad of this season. (it remains to be seen of course if they rework it to fit in Gator God, whatshername)

Marvel really has leaned into making the closing credits sequence a real thing. I like it rather than having it be the open.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 03-30-2022 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I can imagine fans of the comic being impatient with the first episode since they slow burn reveal stuff we already know. That said, I did enjoy it, though the first ep didn't blow me out of the water.
    Random thoughts:
    -- First thing I wonder: not knowing much about DID, this seems like a sensationalist depiction. (especially the voice in his head and the talking to his alter) Not really a fan of the show grouping his mental condition with his supernatural possession in a horror setting. We'll see if they get better at that.
    -- The opening with Steven's life reminded me of a "The Office" workplace comedy. Maybe because Steven sounded a bit like Martin Freeman to me. (also not sure about the authenticity of the Brit stuff - they seemed to all have the same British accent which struck me as odd)
    -- Crawley, is that you? (the golden statue guy)
    -- Who is Steven really leaving messages to?
    -- Venom, is that you? Not only the deep voice, but then he starts insulting Steven, and added to Steven's quirky behavior really reminds me of Tom Hardy's Eddie Brock now. I hope they don't overdo it with the Venom similarities.
    -- Zuul, is that you? That running around the museum part made me think of "Ghostbusters."

I do like how we discover Marc and MK through Steven rather than just see his origin. I imagine a big part of that is because unless the main story is about Bushman, you would want the origin to tie into the Big Bad of this season. (it remains to be seen of course if they rework it to fit in Gator God, whatshername)

Marvel really has leaned into making the closing credits sequence a real thing. I like it rather than having it be the open.
    What depiction of DID in movies or TV isn't sensationalist? They never treat that condition, if it indeed even exists, any other way.

The running around the museum part made me think of Night at the Museum.

And Gator God's name is Ammit.

What depiction of DID in movies or TV isn't sensationalist? They never treat that condition, if it indeed even exists, any other way.
    Yeah, and that's not good. It's a real condition and I hope they bring a little more reality to it even in the midst of a superhero story.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Interesting approach to the first episode. I'd say I wasn't disappointed nor was I enthused. The episode was just there.
    It shows that Steven and Marc are the same and rolled into Moon Knight. A viewer who knows nothing should've been able to discern he has a condition, even if they only refer to that as Crazy.
    I've not changed my mind on the MK outfit being supernatural and "alive". I wonder if the Mr. Knight look will also "live" in that same manner? That is to say I don't approve.

Feel bad he lost 2 days of his life and missed the date.

The production, f/x and fight scenes(mostly redacted) felt well done. I look forward to actually seeing MK fight perhaps next episode.

I'd grade the initial episode a 3.5 stars out of 5 or grade=B-
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

I thought it was really well done for a non comic version fan. I come at it "knowing" Moon Knight exists in comics, maybe reading a few crossover appearances. But, clearly not knowing anything substantive about the character and history. So I don't have the comic to tv series hangups real fans might.

That said I liked how they film the personality transitions the first episode. I liked being put sort of in Steven's shoes first person style. I am figuring out wtf is going on right along with him. And the way its shot helps do that the quick transitions from one location to another. The jarring scene jumps, it really amplified the "lost time" feel.

Mighty Member

I'm a bit surprised at the lukewarm reactions so far. This was fantastic. Oscar Isaac is killing it so far. There is great tension in the story, even if the "mystery" element is pretty obvious to comic book fans. I love using Steven as our entrance to this world. Somebody who is completely a part of what is going on, but who knows and understands absolutely none of it right along with the rest of the audience.

The bit with the replaced goldfish had me cracking up. The "replace it and he'll never notice" trope with the fish pet used to tremendous effect.

Overall this was a really strong start. And the suit looks fantastic. Really curious about the villain and what's going on here. Hopefully the rest of the run can maintain this level of quality.

Being at a London museum, I wonder if he'll run into Sersi (not knowing when this takes place) or more likely, Dane. (I don't recall what museum was used in "Eternals.")