Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Maybe ten years ago Jake Gyllenhaal could have made a good Moon Knight - I think he was up for Batman before Christian Bale won the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Maybe ten years ago Jake Gyllenhaal could have made a good Moon Knight - I think he was up for Batman before Christian Bale won the role.
    Gyllenhaal is younger than Oscar Issac. Why coulhe play Spector now?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You're right, of course - he's younger than I thought. I just assumed that the Batman casting being so long ago he was a bit older than he is.

Gyllenhal is a great choice

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Interview with Oscar Isaac.

spoilers:
    They talk about how Steven summons Mr. Knight as his Moon Knight form and tease a possible third personality/Moon Knight form.
    end of spoilers
    I thought/hoped that would be the case after the scene where Steven prepares for the date.

Really hoping this show continues some of the intriguing character threads that have been dropped/hinted at already. The interplay between Spector's different personalities could make this a really rich character drama.

Gotta love how each MCU show has a totally unique vibe and perspective into the universe. Feels like the universe is just getting richer and richer.
    Last edited by Joe Sidetracked; 04-03-2022 at 07:23 AM.

Amazing Member

It's a small thing, but I've been enjoying some youtube "reactions" to the 1st episode to see how people are taking it, and if it's missed in their edits or they just missed it, there seems to be quite few that when we shift to the "adventure" part of the episode and most people react to the resetting of the jaw ... that they miss all the glass scattered around him, and the fact he jumped/fell out of the REALLY HIGH window that the man waves to him from.
    Granted this is MCU and there is a greater survivability of the hero's but MAN that appears to be a pretty high drop (at least 7-8 stories or so, so 85' possibly), so whatever else we have pretty strong "he is enhanced" indicator. Everything else we've seen on screen so far could be really skilled with the growing costume being the only conceit to any powers, but no falling that far and ONLY getting a dislocated jaw (and jarring him enough to switch) is a bit much for a normal skilled person.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth_Brower View Post
    It's a small thing, but I've been enjoying some youtube "reactions" to the 1st episode to see how people are taking it, and if it's missed in their edits or they just missed it, there seems to be quite few that when we shift to the "adventure" part of the episode and most people react to the resetting of the jaw ... that they miss all the glass scattered around him, and the fact he jumped/fell out of the REALLY HIGH window that the man waves to him from.
    Granted this is MCU and there is a greater survivability of the hero's but MAN that appears to be a pretty high drop (at least 7-8 stories or so, so 85' possibly), so whatever else we have pretty strong "he is enhanced" indicator. Everything else we've seen on screen so far could be really skilled with the growing costume being the only conceit to any powers, but no falling that far and ONLY getting a dislocated jaw (and jarring him enough to switch) is a bit much for a normal skilled person.
    I've seen one person suggest that he might actually have died, and that Khonshu has just resurrected him in that scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I've seen one person suggest that he might actually have died, and that Khonshu has just resurrected him in that scene.
    That’s what I assumed too - I’m a bit annoyed I know a fair bit about the character as it seems like this show would be an absolute ride for someone unfamiliar

Incredible Member

"Go back to sleep you worm!" - Well, that's one way to introduce Khonsu! Like, yeah, he really does not care for Steven Grant at all, all he cares about is Marc (which, granted, Marc is Moon Knight and the actual capable one while Steven is more of an addition he didn't plan for, so that checks out). Most of his dialogue is just berating or belittling Steven and demanding Marc come back, although it seems like Marc's dead to him too if he fails. Not the most polite or positive God, but I guess the fact that he (and by extension his vessel Moon Knight) is the only thing stopping whatever Ammit has planned is supposed to balance out his abrasiveness.
    I admit I'm not super-crazy about that either, especially being a deist myself. But I can live with Khonshu being abrasive and a bit of a jerk as long as he's ultimately on the side of right and not an outright villain. The whole "good isn't automatically nice" thing.

Also, at least some of what he says could just be big talk. How many times have we seen someone say some variant of "if you mess this up I'll kill you" when clearly they were just speaking hyperbolically?

So Arthur Harrow seems to have his own little cult/commune in...wherever they were (it didn't seem like it was still in the UK). Harrow worships Ammit who believes in justice, but a kind of absolute justice that means killing a genuinely good person if there's even a chance of them doing something evil in the future, which probably means bad things for humanity if she's ever released or Harrow gets to continue furthering her plans.

I wonder if Steven being "innocent" as a personality or not being real is why Harrow couldn't judge him? Or it couldn't make heads or tails of all the personalities together to judge one of them?
    In Egyptian folklore after one's death Anubis would weigh their heart on a set of scales against a feather from Ma'at. If the heart was pure enough they would be allowed into the afterlife. If not Ammit would devour their heart.

Given that the judgement isn't meant to occur until after death and is meant to be overseen by Anubis and Ma'at, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out the Egyptian gods are angered by what Harrow is doing.

All in all I quite liked the episode but I have one question:

Where the heck is Marlene? Who the heck is this "Layla?" I hate when movie/TV shows do this; replace an established character with a new one that serves the same role. Like in TDKR, why didn't they have Holly as Selina's sidekick? Why was she replaced with "Jen?"

I'll still watch but I won't deny that bothers me.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 04-04-2022 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    In Egyptian folklore after one's death Anubis would weigh their heart on a set of scales against a feather from Ma'at. If the heart was pure enough they would be allowed into the afterlife. If not Ammit would devour their heart.

Given that the judgement isn't meant to occur until after death and is meant to be overseen by Anubis and Ma'at, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out the Egyptian gods are angered by what Harrow is doing.

Where the heck is Marlene? Who the heck is this "Layla?" I hate when movie/TV shows do this; replace an established character with a new one that serves the same role. Like in TDKR, why didn't they have Holly as Selina's sidekick? Why was she replaced with "Jen?"

I think they've said there's a specific reason they didn't use any of the traditional Moon Knight supporting cast for this show.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I admit I'm not super-crazy about that either, especially being a deist myself. But I can live with Khonshu being abrasive and a bit of a jerk as long as he's ultimately on the side of right and not an outright villain. The whole "good isn't automatically nice" thing.

Also, at least some of what he says could just be big talk. How many times have we seen someone say some variant of "if you mess this up I'll kill you" when clearly they were just speaking hyperbolically?

For one, I'm really glad that Marlene seems to be absent, as much as I love the classic stories and as much as I loved seeing those images of her parading around in night gowns and bikinis when I was growing up...I got a little skeeved out reading them last week as that's literally all she's there for; to patch up Marc when he comes home, have sex with him and then admonish him for his activities. Outside of her introduction she had no real self motivation or agency at all.
    You could fix that in a modern take, make her a smart strong willed woman who helps with his investigations; maybe make her a SHIELD agent trying to make sure Marc doesn't go too far off the reservation...but part of me thinks it would be better if she just vanished all together.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    For one, I'm really glad that Marlene seems to be absent, as much as I love the classic stories and as much as I loved seeing those images of her parading around in night gowns and bikinis when I was growing up...I got a little skeeved out reading them last week as that's literally all she's there for; to patch up Marc when he comes home, have sex with him and then admonish him for his activities. Outside of her introduction she had no real self motivation or agency at all.
    You could fix that in a modern take, make her a smart strong willed woman who helps with his investigations; maybe make her a SHIELD agent trying to make sure Marc doesn't go too far off the reservation...but part of me thinks it would be better if she just vanished all together.
    Don't forget "denying his core identity because she likes the rich playboy better".

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Like you said though that could have been fixed. Heck they're already taking liberties with Steven Grant. You could have Marlene as Marc's partner-in-crime, a fellow former mercenary, you could do anything. Instead, they just invented some brand new character to fill the same position. I hate that. It's a pointless change that adds nothing.

Also even in the comics Marlene was not just eye candy. She helped Moon Knight out and saved his life more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier
    I think they've said there's a specific reason they didn't use any of the traditional Moon Knight supporting cast for this show.
    Well we'll see.

Like you said though that could have been fixed. Heck they're already taking liberties with Steven Grant. You could have Marlene as Marc's partner-in-crime, a fellow former mercenary, you could do anything. Instead, they just invented some brand new character to fill the same position. I hate that. It's a pointless change that adds nothing.
    Generic, but in a acceptable way?

Also even in the comics Marlene was not just eye candy. She helped Moon Knight out and saved his life more than once. Well we'll see.
    I was never a Moon Knight fan, but maybe it's best that the character was left out rather than see her turned into something that just wasn't her.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    He became Mysterio but other than that he would've been a good choice.