View Poll Results: Should there be a new female teenage (or younger) Kryptonian?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 20.00%
  • No (why not?)

36 80.00%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Now that Supergirl is an adult, should there be a replacement?

Now that Kara is officially 21 (and even drinks), should there be another teenage Kryptonian to take up the Supergirl name?

I don't mean a replacement for Kara herself, but the addition of a new character to take up the role of being THE female teenage (or younger) Kryptonian, similar to how we had both Kon-El and Jon Kent (before the age-up).

Astonishing Member

DC couldn't figure out a good use for teenage Kara, so why would they want to replace her? The only reason I can think of is that Jon Kent needs help being Superman, because he's not as good at it as his Dad was.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    DC couldn't figure out a good use for teenage Kara, so why would they want to replace her? The only reason I can think of is that Jon Kent needs help being Superman, because he's not as good at it as his Dad was.
    Well, again, I don't mean replace Kara herself, but having another character take up the "female Kryptonian teenager" role. Especially since it seems DC is transitioning Kara out of that role into something new, regardless.

Astonishing Member

That's what I mean, too. DC never could figure out what to do with a teenage female Kryptonian when they had one, so now that they don't, why would they want another one?

Cir-el, revamped of course
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Amazing Member

As others said, she didn’t get good use as it is, so no need to replace that role.

I’m also, personally, really tired of making another legacy to fit a very specific role- why can’t Kara just have grown up? Why do we need a line of successors for every single hero around?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

No. Being 21 doesn't meant aht Supergirl is a title that is necessarily a negative. It isnt as if she's 40.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

TV Supergirl is over 30 at this point and she hasn't changed her name. So they pushed it back quite a bit.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

If I’m forced to do this by editorial

I would revamp Cir-el into Superman’s actual daughter with the earth name Laura Kent

Kara will take the name superwoman

Cir-el will take the title of supergirl

Laura’s unique power will be the ability to split into red and blue

Her superhero title will be supergirl red & blue

As for her lineage...either another “out of space and time” daughter of Lois and Clark or the illegitimate daughter of Superman and lashina(who I’ll retcon into Darkseid’s daughter) that was conceived during a time where Superman was brainwashed by Darkseid(basically canonizing a storyline from the DCAU)

Making Laura Kent/Cir-el into Darkseid’s granddaughter...perhaps even having the omega effect as a power as well.
    Last edited by kryptonian; 06-19-2021 at 07:55 PM.

I'd be down for Kara becoming Superwoman. But I'm fine with her staying Supergirl too. If they had to replace her, I guess that's where the second Lois and Clark kid, that Tomasi had planned, could have come into play. On second thought....no. They'd need her to be old enough to be Supergirl, like pronto, so that'd just be one more child that Clark and Lois don't get to raise.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

As others have mentioned, I think Cir-El likely fills the Supergirl role.

But if DC wanted to create a new character to represent the teen demographic, sure, why not? I mean it's not like they're going to do anything crazy...like introduce the heretofore nonexistent teenage daughter of Earth-D's Kal-El and Kara as the next Supergirl of Earth 1.

God no - I'm not a fan of the "families" be it the Superfamily Batfamily Flash-family, etc. They're big enough as is and just detract attention away from the existing characters. There's far too many Robins over in Gotham, does Metropolis need an army of Superboys and Supergirls? At some point enough is enough, just tell good stories with the characters we've got.

I've been afraid to say this too many places because I don't want folks jumping down my throat, but my one and only idea for Cir-El is that Jon comes out as trans and becomes her.

Any way, in terms of the question, "should Supergirl be replaced now that she's technically a woman," well to be honest I can't really think of a good reason why that should happen.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

No. I just don't think the "families" should keep growing indefinitely. While I like many of the younger members of said families, DC can't find enough to do with them all, and it sometimes ends up flattening personalities (each character getting one main character trait/skill). And it can fracture fanbases.

Plus it makes characters feel more like they are just temporarily filling a slot instead to me. And we know they can become canon fodder once someone else comes along for that slot. Makes them more disposable.

I think DC should work on using the characters already in the families well, and branching out to somehow try to make new stand-alone (not spinoff) characters work.

I don't like adult women keeping the name "Girl", though.

No, but I think that DC's problem was always not Supergirl's title, but Kara herself. Which makes her making Superwoman funny and pointless.